WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

i just joined this forum today. I was met with such meanness I'm sorry I ever asked. I've always loved watches, especially pocket watches. Thought this website was a great place to share my enthusiasm. Maybe it is because I am a girl. Maybe I didn't know how to ask the right way. But I'm so saddened I was so rudely received. Maybe next time don't be so abrupt, and I will invite my watch girls club to join.
Sincerely,

Beverly

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Hi Beverly, and welcome to the site! Sorry to hear about your rude reception. Pay no mind to those rude people on here. I think most people have been put in that situation here. There are some people that try to make you feel stupid for asking "newbie" questions or asking in the "wrong" forum. Ignore them. You will meet some great, informative, and helpful people on here. Just keep asking away and you will get your answer! Again, welcome!!

·
Registered
14,456 Posts
Welcome Beverly.

There are some members around here that see everything one way and just sucker punch people sometimes for rustling their feathers. The member that attacked you is one of them.

Had you not searched, you would have been attacked for not searching. But you did search, and still got attacked. Doesn't surprise me at all.

We're not all pissed off jerks, so please stick around and enjoy the watch talk.

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
Hi and welcome to WUS. I hadn't seen the other thread, so I looked and it's unfortunate someone was less than nice. I wouldn't hold it against the whole forum though. Unfortunately, you referenced a very old thread and you asked for valuation, which is against forum rules. But you didn't need to be told that so rudely.

This is actually a truly great forum and I hope you stay around. The longer you're here, the more comfortable you'll be and you'll also be exposed to some great people, with amazing watch information and education.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Don't let those rude internet bully's bother you Beverly. Some around here really need other interests in their lives. For every one of those there are ten great people who are friendly and knowledgable about watches. Ask all the questions you want and enjoy the discussions. Welcome

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
i read your post. it should not have been responded to that way. i had someone say i brought up an old thread that was only 4 months old. they should have simply told you to post a new thread in the pocket watch forum.

you'll see each forum is unique. there are touchy people everywhere. tread lightly but keep a thick skin. just give it back if need be.

Hi,

i just joined this forum today. I was met with such meanness I'm sorry I ever asked. I've always loved watches, especially pocket watches. Thought this website was a great place to share my enthusiasm. Maybe it is because I am a girl. Maybe I didn't know how to ask the right way. But I'm so saddened I was so rudely received. Maybe next time don't be so abrupt, and I will invite my watch girls club to join.
Sincerely,

Beverly

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
It was a misguided and inappropriate response. It was not representative of the forum, and I hope it is not representative of the person who posted it. It is possible that it came across harsher than was intended. We are generally a welcoming lot.

So, um ... welcome.

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
Welcome, Beverly!
We all know that sometimes, a written sentence can assume an inadequate proportion and a disputable meaning. And yes, some people can be a bit rude. But I'm absolutely convinced that most fellow members here are friendly, helpful and polite.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
Just ignore em. Welcome to the forum!

·
Banned
240 Posts
Sorry you had to deal with that. Like any population, we have a small minority of users who lack manners. For whatever reasons they seem to pick on the new users. Stick around and I'm sure you find the users and forums that make this place fun!

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Hi, and welcome to the forum.

That's a nice poceket watch. I've got 3 Soviet era Molnija pocket watches, one with ties to the KGB, and a Zlatoust pocket watch with a "folk art" hand painted picture of a train on the dial from 1958 that will soon be in my hands as well.

As far as rude people are concerned, there is an ignore function especially for ignoramuses in your control panel. Use it and they will cease to exist. ;-)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just read the post you're referring to. If you think the reply was mean or rude, this must be your first day on the internet.
C'mon guys, you all are being overly apologetic; is it because it involves a girl? The response may have been a bit abrupt, but nothing to get too fussed about, in my view. :roll:

Oh, and to the OP: welcome and may you enjoy your stay here. :)

·
Registered
605 Posts
Socially inept keyboard warriors who would probably run a mile if confronted by a female....ignore them.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

·
Registered
14,456 Posts
Just read the post you're referring to. If you think the reply was mean or rude, this must be your first day on the internet.
C'mon guys, you all are being overly apologetic; is it because it involves a girl? The response may have been a bit abrupt, but nothing to get too fussed about, in my view. :roll:

Oh, and to the OP: welcome and may you enjoy your stay here. :)
Has nothing to do with gender. Has everything to do with her voicing the fact that she was offended. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels obligated to say something in response to her post.

It doesn't matter whether we feel the original post was rude or not. Fact is, she is new and she was offended. Lecturing her on what is and isn't something worthy of being offended is not what she's looking for. She obviously either wants to be a part of the community or was seriously offended if she bothered to post again. We're trying to get her back on the right track, not appease her.

Reactions: RBrylawski

·
Premium Member
71,424 Posts
Welcome to the forum Beverly. Some of the replies you will get to the most innocuous post are to say the least a little abrupt. It's worth developing a thicker skin though just because of what you can learn on WUS.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Nothing like baptism by fire!

Welcome & don't let it phase you. Jump right in & start learning about all the different brands. It's a great hobby & much more fun when you can share your interests with likeminded people.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts