WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up an Armitron Skeleton Automatic from Kohl's for $66 on sale. The watch looks pretty good and so far keeps good time. Watch can be hand wound and also hacks. Comes with a rubber type band or SS bracelet. I got the rubber type band. Watch feels comfortable on the wrist, is about 43 - 44 mm in size, all SS construction on the case. Seagull movement inside. Movement is somewhat ornate. Exhibition back, mineral glass front and back. Water resistant 165 ft. (50M). Overall for the money, I am amazed at how nice it looks in person. Still, the devil is in the details and if you look closely enough at the watch, the cosmetic flaws will become readily apparent. But for $66, I am quite satisfied.

Here is link to pix from the web:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=6562454

·
Registered
534 Posts
I'd really like to know how this watch stacks up against the many Seagull powered eBay watches. What are the cosmetic issues you refer to?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd really like to know how this watch stacks up against the many Seagull powered eBay watches. What are the cosmetic issues you refer to?
The cosmetic issues are minor to me. The brushed stainless steel top of the lugs around the polished bezel ends before the bezel is reached showing a bit of polished SS whereas it should be brushed up to and under the bezel. Also the brushed part looks like it ends abruptly with machine tool marks before the bezel. It does not bother me but i want to be as accurate as possible in my observations. The bezel is highly polished but does not move. It is a minute marker only. The deployant buckle on the strap feels and looks cheap on the inside but works well nontheless. The buckle is nicely brushed on the outside though. The strap itself is thinner than most rubber or resin straps but looks like a quality material was used. All polished surfaces are well done. Looking into the movement area, on close inspection, the area looks like it is well put together and looks like a very clean assembly both front and back. The watch hands are very nicely done and are lume tipped. There are lume dots at every hour except 6 and 12 oclock. The lume works well after being exposed to a momentary strong light source. All in all the watch is a pleasure to look at and own. :-!

M&Q

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
Congrats M&Q and thanks for your thorough and honest opinions!

·
Affordables Moderator
17,578 Posts
I nearly had one of those last time we were at Wally World, but my wife hauled me away from the watch counter before I could get the clerk's attention :-d
I like the rubber strap model, congrats! :-!

Cheers,
Griff

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Thanks guys .... I saw this same piece at Wally-World 3 days ago, and it captured my imagination .....

But I thought "Eh, Wal-Mart garbage, with a low-end Chinese movement ... nothing to get too worked up about."

But it sat in my head for three days ....

So tonight I did some research. Along with this thread (Thanks M&Q! :-!), I found other threads on PMWF and BDWF .... all comments were positive.

Then I learned that the movement is a Seagull ST16 .....

Needless to say, I went and picked up the rubber-strap, gold-bezel version .... pics later. :-d

Cheers!
Bill

·
Registered
679 Posts
I bought one a few days ago and posted my first impressions of the watch, but I ended up returning it. It's an okay watch, I guess. The fit and finish on the one I bought wasn't what I expected even for a $70 watch, but for a beater it's tolerable. In the end I just wasn't impressed enough to keep it. Truth be told, I'd rather get a Timex Automatic over the Armitron Skeleton watch.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Have had the watch about a week and so far it keeps very good time. Only loses a couple seconds a day. It may not look all that impressive, but the initial performance I have observed on this watch is impressive. For the price, I may score another one, This time with the gold finish. :-!

M&Q

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Made a return pass through the Kohl's watch dept. last night and the assortment of Armitron Automatic watches was incredible. There were black IP autos with Black SS Bracelet and black movement with blue hands, SS autos with SS bracelet in gold and silver colored movements and rubber straps with gold and blue colored movements. They looked very interesting. There may have been still more, but that was all my brain allowed me to register at the time. I had to keep my wallet in my pocket for now and had to walk away since my wife allowed me to get a Seiko SS Land monster last weekend. But who knows what the near future will bring.

M&Q

·
Registered
10 Posts
have Had The Watch About A Week And So Far It Keeps Very Good Time. Only Loses A Couple Seconds A Day. It May Not Look All That Impressive, But The Initial Performance I Have Observed On This Watch Is Impressive. For The Price, I May Score Another One, This Time With The Gold Finish. :-!

M&q
+1

·
11,873 Posts
Wow, a 9 month old thread, I guess I have no option but to post a photo of mine, $55 Clearance at Wal-Mart back in May. The rotor locked up on mine twice the first day I had it and I had to swap it for new one at another Wal-Mart, New one has been fine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey im new to the mechanical watch world, but ive been doing alot of research into it. i just found a armitron clone at walmart with the same seagull ty2807sv movement for $50. I had to have and i love it. So far ive only had it for a couple hours so i cant speak for its acuracy but so far so good.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts