WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I picked this up this morning on a whim really as I liked the look of the dial and the brand name range a bell.
I`ve done a basic clean up job on it so it`s almost presentable now.
IMG_20170420_123817568_HDR.jpg IMG_20170420_124028226_HDR.jpg IMG_20170420_123847265.jpg IMG_20170420_123912072.jpg
The case plating has seen better days but the dial and hands look original and unmolested with just the expected normal ageing.

Underneath the snap back case there is an odd looking almost matt aluminium looking surface - I`m not sure whether it`s been coated with something ?
The base metal for the case looks like brass where the bezel chrome plating has worn off.

IMG_20170420_122025873.jpg The 15 jewel movement seems to be winding/running smoothly and keeping good time but I can`t seem to find any markings under the balance other than what appears to be "006". It`s pretty dirty too so probably years overdue for a service.
I only paid £25 for it so I wasn`t expecting perfection.

I haven`t been able to find out much about Titus on the web so far other than that they used mostly generic movements for their mainstream and that the founder Paul Ditisheim was a boy genius at watchmaking.

By the look of the watch I`m thinking it dates to the late 1940`s through to the mid `50`s perhaps?
Any thoughts on the calibre or background on the Titus brand would be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks fellow Roamer fan,
the main reason I bought it was for the dial appeal ..despite not doing my normal bit of research and due diligence .
At the price it wasn`t a big gamble and sometimes you just have to take a chance and go with your intial reactions

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
The shape of the hairspring stud carrier, common in Eterna and ETA movements, immediately suggests to look for an answer among ETA movements. It's not 006- you've read it upside down. It's 900, which is how the ETA 930 was often signed (according to the Ranfft archive). And it is an ETA 930 or a derivative of it, with slightly modified bridges:
bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: ETA 930

Nice find, I really like the combination of wide, lumed hands, and radial, lumed numerals. Especially with the thin bezel, which makes it look way larger than it really is, as if this watch was all dial, as if the case wasn't there. Lovely!

Reactions: demonfinder

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for movement info Mkws,
I`ve just checked out Ranfft and the ETA 930/900 looks like a pretty good match.
It helps date the watch to around my late `40`s early `50`s estimate too.

The dial design and thin bezel are really deceptive- I couldn`t believe it was only 33mm when I measured it.
Also less bezel means that any plating loss is less visible when on the wrist.
I just need to find a decent period style open ended strap for it now

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
Thanks for movement info Mkws,
I`ve just checked out Ranfft and the ETA 930/900 looks like a pretty good match.
It helps date the watch to around my late `40`s early `50`s estimate too.

The dial design and thin bezel are really deceptive- I couldn`t believe it was only 33mm when I measured it.
Also less bezel means that any plating loss is less visible when on the wrist.
I just need to find a decent period style open ended strap for it now
You're welcome! As to the strap, I think Chris Balm makes some nice straps for watches with fixed lugs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts