WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I’ve always preferred automatic watches however this one caught my eye. I’ve just received the new GBD200-1 G-Shock sports watch. I was looking around for a reputable brand with decent water resistance to time how long I hold my breath under water, as I started taking interest in free-diving. It sports a nice big and clearly legible inverted MIP display and a few other workout features. Apart from that I just wanted a decent not too bulky beater watch for general sporting activities.

I’m curious about the battery life. Especially with Bluetooth. Casio state 2 years with 12 hours of Bluetooth connectivity. I find that hard to believe, but we’ll see. I’m not planning to use it much anyway, except when setting workouts routines.

Here’s a few shots of it on my 17.5cm wrist.

·
Registered
8,701 Posts
whats hard to believe? casio underrates its battery life and if you look at the list of tasks it counts in its suggested daily use, youll see its far more intensive than all but a select few would ever use it.
if youre simply worried about the bt connectivity draining it for time sync, dont be. its a bleep to your phone a few times a day, the alarm or light would use more power.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
whats hard to believe? casio underrates its battery life and if you look at the list of tasks it counts in its suggested daily use, youll see its far more intensive than all but a select few would ever use it.
if youre simply worried about the bt connectivity draining it for time sync, dont be. its a bleep to your phone a few times a day, the alarm or light would use more power.
Bluetooth connectivity usually drains lots of battery on phones so I would have thought the same applies to this. However, I do understand that phone use is different. It’s my first G-Shock so can’t say myself.

Do you think there’s no harm in keeping BT on at all times on the watch and turning it off only on the phone as needed?

·
Registered
8,701 Posts
Bluetooth connectivity usually drains lots of battery on phones so I would have thought the same applies to this. However, I do understand that phone use is different. It’s my first G-Shock so can’t say myself.

Do you think there’s no harm in keeping BT on at all times on the watch and turning it off only on the phone as needed?
since its youre first G i'll do quick run down for you 🙂
from the manual:

Battery life: Approximately 2 years
Conditions
Display: 21 hours/day
Step counting: 12 hours/day
Bluetooth Connection Time: 12
hours/day
Notifications (including vibration): 20
times/day
Run Timing: 2 hours/week
Alarm: Once (10 seconds)/day
Illumination: Once (1.5 seconds)/day
Usage conditions may cause actual
battery life to be shorter.
Note
● Battery life is approximately 18 months
under the conditions below.
ー Bluetooth Connection Time: 18
hours/day
ー Notifications (including vibration): 50
times/day
ー Run Timing: 4 hours/week
● Battery life is approximately 12 months
under the conditions below.
ー Bluetooth Connection Time: 24
hours/day
ー Notifications (including vibration):
150 times/day
ー Run Timing: 7 hours/week
so even if youre using vibration notifications 20 times a day with bt connected for 12 hours youll be fine for about 2 years, and if you got bt on 24/7 and getting 150 notifications a day for all those ppl sliding into your dm's then youre going to get half that. obviously those that want the battery to last longer will use those power draining functions sparingly (turning the vibe off would a good start)

if you dont need notifications then its best to just close the app and turn off the bt on your phone. the watch will try to blip the phone a few times then it will give up so theres no extra drain. either way, you should easily get 2 years with moderate use. i believe its a 2032 battery which is the one they use in 10 year models like the gdx so even tho the mip would suck more power it has a good chance at lasting awhile if youre using it mostly for time only.

that said, even when the battery dies, its not a big deal. a few minutes and a couple bucks will have a new one fitted in now time if you diy (heaps of videos and tutorials online and very easy to do even if youre a novice)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
since its youre first G i'll do quick run down for you 🙂
from the manual:

so even if youre using vibration notifications 20 times a day with bt connected for 12 hours youll be fine for about 2 years, and if you got bt on 24/7 and getting 150 notifications a day for all those ppl sliding into your dm's then youre going to get half that. obviously those that want the battery to last longer will use those power draining functions sparingly (turning the vibe off would a good start)

if you dont need notifications then its best to just close the app and turn off the bt on your phone. the watch will try to blip the phone a few times then it will give up so theres no extra drain. either way, you should easily get 2 years with moderate use. i believe its a 2032 battery which is the one they use in 10 year models like the gdx so even tho the mip would suck more power it has a good chance at lasting awhile if youre using it mostly for time only.

that said, even when the battery dies, its not a big deal. a few minutes and a couple bucks will have a new one fitted in now time if you diy (heaps of videos and tutorials online and very easy to do even if youre a novice)
Thank you for the detailed post. I really appreciate it. I’ve seen the manual points but wanted to confirm. I know it’s a simple thing to change the battery but was curious. Once again thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey all, first (and possibly only) post but I've been reading the forum for a while. Just thought I'd chime in with my experience with this watch after a few days in case you're on the fence about picking it up. These are just my initial observations, and keep in mind I'm not a professional reviewer or anything like that.

TL/DR:
It's a great, simple fitness/daily driver watch for someone who doesn't want the fitness feature overkill or phone accessory experience of a Garmin or Apple Watch. Very comfortable and lightweight, fantastic screen, and lots of functionality compared to most G-Shocks.

Fit and feel:
Overall, I like this watch a lot. It's light and comfortable for its size, like most G-Shocks. The lug-to-lug/general fit reminds me of a 6900 but slightly smaller, like a mix between a 6900 and a 5600. The strap feels nice and durable but softer than the usual G-Shock straps, almost like a GA-2000 if I recall correctly. It breaths about as well as can be expected of a rubber strap (or resin, I don't know which this is). I've ran, rucked, and worked out with it, and so far it has performed well. I split time between this and a Garmin Instinct Tactical, and though I think the Garmin is more comfortable, the GBD200 definitely feels more durable. Also, the keeper has a tooth that locks into place, which is a nice detail that I wish more G-Shocks had.

The only negative I can find with the fit and feel of the watch is the little plastic wings on the underside of the band. They feel like hard plastic with an anti-slip texture and coating, and they're a bit of a hair grabber. Out of the box it was a major pain, but has subsided with wear. Also, they're oddly squeaky. A minor annoyance, but this too has lessened with wear. I imagine both the hair grabbing and squeaking with go away completely eventually, but it's something to be aware of.

(For reference, I have a 7.25 inch wrist)

Functionality:
I think the GBD200 strikes a nice balance between a simple durable G-Shock and a more feature-rich sports watch. If you need something to track runs or time workouts, but don't want to deal with constant recharging or phone connectivity, this would be a good option to consider. It does have the option to connect to your phone via Bluetooth, but I would describe it more as a watch that has phone capability rather than a phone accessory that you wear on your wrist, if that makes sense. The G-Shock Move app stores your runs/run history and sends notifications to the watch, but that's about it. If you're expecting functionality on the level of Garmin Connect or Apple Fitness, you'll be disappointed. For me, the simplicity of the app/watch is quite refreshing. It's a no-fuss daily driver watch with more fitness capability than a standard G-Shock, which is what I was looking for.

Run tracking seems accurate enough, though I'm not a stickler for that sort of thing. For my first run, I had Strava tracking on my phone in addition to the watch for comparison and they were close enough for me. I'm fairly certain the GBD200 can track runs without help from my phone's GPS, though I always run with my phone so I can't confirm that. I think I recall seeing that it can use an internal sensor to guesstimate distance. Something to be aware of, I guess.

In addition to run tracking, you can set multiple repeating timers to run consecutively. I imagine this would be good for tracking multiple movements within a single workout (or if you're doing an EMOM style workout). One thing I would like to see is multiple concurrent timers, like on the Nixon Regulus. I know this is a niche function, but I like to keep track of overall workout time as well as rest time between sets, and having multiple timers running at once would be cool to see. Definitely not a deal breaker, just a nice-to-have extra feature.

Screen and body:
The screen is fantastic, easily the best of any G-Shock I've personally used. It's extremely legible at almost any angle in most lighting conditions, even without the light. One of the best features, and one I haven't seen anyone mention, is that the time is present on almost every screen including the timer, stopwatch, and even during run tracking. This is my biggest pet peeve with the solar G-Shocks, and it was nice to see its inclusion here. The buttons are a bit stiff, but far from Mudman levels of difficult to press. I imagine they'll loosen up over time, but I guess I'd rather have them be slightly tougher to press than too easy to accidentally press.

And that's it. This ended up being way longer than I initially intended, but I figured it would be helpful to go in-depth as someone who has actually used it as a fitness watch. Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
GW9400-1 Rangeman
116 Posts
Welcome to the world of Casio G-Shock, where time-accuracy, functionality and durability are king. One won’t be enough, and you’ll probably find your auto-jewelry being set aside more often than not. 👍🏻

Also, Casio seriously underrates their battery life stats. I think they do so for various reasons. I’ve had a G-Shock 2 year rated battery life last for 10. This is not uncommon, depending on how much one uses the backlight and functions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts