WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A customer complaining about their Seiko 5 “stopping after I took it off for a weekend”, and how their “other Kinetic watch will run for months without being worn”. Then they complain about it “needing constant adjustment”.

Shouldn’t people have some level of understanding about what they’re buying or am I being unreasonable? The description does clearly state, “Seiko 5 21 jewel automatic mechanical watch”.

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts
Unreasonable ;-) There's no intelligence test associated with a watch purchase, at least in most jurisdictions.

Reactions: JohannesB

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,331 Posts
A customer complaining about their Seiko 5 “stopping after I took it off for a weekend”, and how their “other Kinetic watch will run for months without being worn”. Then they complain about it “needing constant adjustment”.

Shouldn’t people have some level of understanding about what they’re buying or am I being unreasonable? The description does clearly state, “Seiko 5 21 jewel automatic mechanical watch”.

I think that 40+ years ago it would have been unusual to find someone that did not know mechanical watches had a very short power reserve. Today battery powered quartz watches represent just about all watches sold and watch makers don't tout the fact that their mechanical watches have a power reserve that is only 1-4% of that available from a $30.00 quartz watch. I'm not at all surprised at the confusion.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Indeed John MS above is correct. People tend to frame their opinions f things based on things they already know, so it's not remotely surprising that an average buyer on Amazon would not understand that power reserve on most automatics won't last 2 days.
A significant percentage of Amazon reviews for watches deal w things that are silly, so one must do their homework rather than rely on reviews alone. I've seen bad reviews given because:
- auto watch dies when not worn
- went swimming w water-resistant watch and water got in (as in no water resistance "water-resistant")
- watch is too small (although size given, granted sometimes Amazon specs are wrong)
- watch is too big (although size given, granted sometimes Amazon specs are wrong)
- watch loses\gains 5 mins per month, while my quartz is spot on (although 5 mins a month is approx 10 seconds daily variance)
- bracelet was too big so I returned it (no attempt made to size it)
- etc.etc

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Johann Rupert once took a manual watch to a shop to get it fixed because it stopped working every other day because he thought it was an auto. This was after he bought Panerai. So it happens to even those in the industry.

Reactions: freecain

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
If people are still confused about this (and clearly some are), then don't you think the listing on Amazon has an obligation to make things clearer? Automatic watches haven't been standard for almost 40 years -- a lot of the people buying them now were literally not alive when it was common knowledge how these watches worked. If 99% of the watches in the world work a certain way, and the Amazon listing doesn't carefully explain how this watch is different from all those other watches, then I'm inclined to blame Amazon for an incomplete listing. The word "automatic" really doesn't convey very much on its own, after all.

Hells yeah, people can be awfully stupid in the reviews section on Amazon listings. But the fact remains that a lot of listings just assume everyone knows what an automatic watch is. In the year 2015, that's a silly thing to assume.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
If people are still confused about this (and clearly some are), then don't you think the listing on Amazon has an obligation to make things clearer? Automatic watches haven't been standard for almost 40 years -- a lot of the people buying them now were literally not alive when it was common knowledge how these watches worked. If 99% of the watches in the world work a certain way, and the Amazon listing doesn't carefully explain how this watch is different from all those other watches, then I'm inclined to blame Amazon for an incomplete listing. The word "automatic" really doesn't convey very much on its own, after all.

Hells yeah, people can be awfully stupid in the reviews section on Amazon listings. But the fact remains that a lot of listings just assume everyone knows what an automatic watch is. In the year 2015, that's a silly thing to assume.
I guess it's also silly to assume people have inquiring minds. I'd think someone would read an informed review or do the bare amount of research before spending money on a product. At least, I'd like to think that. I know the reality is probably different for the majority.

Edit: Just reading some random amazon reviews for some seikos. Pretty amusing stuff:

"You have to be slave to wear this watch 12 hours a day in order to keep it on time and on date" 2 stars

"
This watch lost several minutes per month - perhaps even by week but could not be easily adjusted while on the wrist." 1 star

"The product spec table says the band is 18 mm wide. The product description narrative says it's 22 mm wide. Which is it?" 1 star!

"
Smaller than expected" 1 star

"Looking at the pics I had assumed that the watch would be a nice chunky thing, good for a man. It turned out to be a small, almost-feminine watch." 1 star! (said 36mm on the product page; paid $100 without reading a thing)

Not sure what people expect, really. Just read a little.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I don't understand amazons criteria when it comes to reviews. I submitted a review that stated 'good, well described new in box item, fast shipping no surprises' and Amazon sends me an email saying that my review doesn't meet their standards.

Whatever, no skin off my nose.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I don't understand amazons criteria when it comes to reviews. I submitted a review that stated 'good, well described new in box item, fast shipping no surprises' and Amazon sends me an email saying that my review doesn't meet their standards.

Whatever, no skin off my nose.
Was that your review for the seller (Amazon merchant) or for the product? That's fine for a seller rating, but pretty useless for a product review. The product review is supposed to be about the quality of the item itself and your experiences using it.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
I guess it's also silly to assume people have inquiring minds.
Well, it's silly to assume all people have inquiring minds.

This threads isn't complaining about all reviews on Amazon. It's not even complaining about most reviews on Amazon. It's complaining about the tiny minority of people who bought a watch without understanding what they were getting and then were unhappy enough to post an ignorant review. Well, if you don't want those people to exist, then the product listing needs to include the information they don't have.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Likestheshiny;16174434[B said:
]Well, it's silly to assume all people have inquiring minds.[/B]

This threads isn't complaining about all reviews on Amazon. It's not even complaining about most reviews on Amazon. It's complaining about the tiny minority of people who bought a watch without understanding what they were getting and then were unhappy enough to post an ignorant review. Well, if you don't want those people to exist, then the product listing needs to include the information they don't have.
Sadly...

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Two things to say at this point.

One is that there are some strange people out there. I once left a review on Amazon about a Home Plug Adapter, which read as follows :-

"Not a lot to say about this powerline adapter. Simple to set up, works flawlessly. I have BT Infinity with a download speed of around 40Mbps - miles within the data rate this adapter can provide. It is a fit-and-forget product. Excellent."

I then had a response from someone, saying :-

"
This not the first time that I noticed that reviews are for a similar product (to the one that I am interested in purchasing) but not an identical one. I know that the same technology is used for these similar products but the crux of the matter is that it is NOT the exact product that I am interested in and this could give a false impression / or be misleading!"

So he/she appears to be complaining that my review is misleading, even though it is not a review of what they actually want to buy!

Second thing to say is that I guess the average watch buyer probably bases their purchase on what it costs, the strap it comes with and maybe what colour it is. Somewhat different to the buying process of most WUS members. Having said that, I personally tend to research most things I buy to a reasonable extent.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
It is the responsibility of the buyer to research and understand what they are buying. Sellers can't make it 100% idiot proof, and there is expectation that someone buying a specialty item like a mechanical watch understands what that mean. A lot of dubm Amazon reviews are due to a lot of dumb people, nit because Amazon failed to disclose specs. There is no way to address every possibly stupidity that people can come up with.

I remember vividly a one-star review for Speedy Pro where buyer scratched hesalite, and replaced crystal immediately instead of polishing. Just plain dumb.

Scratch prone glass Omega 3570.50.00 Moon watch speed master,
October 14, 2009

Guys
Be-aware this speed master 3750.50.00 which comes with HESALITE crystal which is NOT A SCRATCH RESISTANCE crystal . I got one and got my watch badly scratched on the very second week. you have to get it changed in appro. 120 USD for new glass and the worst part is that they will again fix same Hesalite crystal . It can not be fitted with sapphire crystal which is scratch resistant.

I had to change this watch with different speedmaster moon watch with sapphire glass which is appro, 600 USD more expensive but looks exactly the same.

Check the difference of hesalite verses sapphire crystals on net.
Omega will not even reply if you will complain.

·
Premium Member
71,229 Posts
I very rarely read Amazon reviews and when I do I take them with a very large pinch of salt as they seem to be written largely by twonks or people with an axe to grind.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Just remember the 1 in 10 rule gents, 1 in 10 people are complete imbeciles, some countries the number is a lot higher, i suspect its a bit higher than that in Australia.
It's worst than that, according to Wikipedia, the median IQ level is 100 in western countries. Well, that means that half the population has an IQ of 100 or lower, so basically half the population are idiots, and 15% are between 70 and 85 so they are barely above having a recognised mental disability.

Reactions: Cobia

·
Registered
27,204 Posts
It's worst than that, according to Wikipedia, the median IQ level is 100 in western countries. Well, that means that half the population has an IQ of 100 or lower, so basically half the population are idiots, and 15% are between 70 and 85 so they are barely above having a recognised mental disability.
Me no understand you big words and numbers ;)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts