WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
these are just some of my initial thoughts as i unboxed the watch for the very first time. i hope anyone considering this watch can get a better idea of what to expect after reading this, especially those like myself who are unable to see one in person.

first off, the manual for this watch is THICK. its almost 3cm, or just over an inch. this must be one of the thickest manuals ever provided for a gshock. they had to provide a taller box just to accommodate the manual, as it could not fit in the tin can along with the watch.

do not be afraid of the size. as mentioned by other people the surface area or coverage of the watch is slightly larger than other gshocks. on my 6.5" wrist, compared to my 7900MS it is just slightly larger but still looks ok. The 7900/9300 are the absolute upper limit of how big a watch i can wear. anything larger like a GX56 is too much for me. if you are ok with the size of a 7900 then you will be fine with the 9300.

what caught me off-guard though was the thickness of the watch. looking at pictures, it looks like it is the same height or thickness as the 7900. in certain angles it looks as if the 7900 could be a hair taller due to its 4 elevated contact points. i can tell you right now this is not true. the 9300 is definitely the thicker watch here. just wearing it i can feel the thicker/bulkier size. it definitely sits taller. this is not due to the difference in fitment since the 7900 has the wings that help it to hug the wrist better. the 9300 fits quite nicely on my wrist with no strange gaps.

also there is a noticeable difference between the size of the watch and the size of the digits used for displaying the time. i am not expecting large digits like on the GWM5600 i had, but something of an adequate size would be nice. to give you an idea of the size of the digits, they are nearly the same as my mudman G9000 except they are thicker on the G9300. the size difference is not as noticeable on the G9000 because it is not as big physically. this is not a deal-breaker; it is just something that a new owner will have to get used to. i am glad i got the regular positive display as it helps with reading the time quickly.

some other interesting features to note include being able to see the world time of a selected city instead of the month/date above the seconds area. also i dont know if this is a recent improvement, but even with power save mode activated the watch will not go into sleep mode between 6am and 10pm.

overall this is a nice watch and i am already getting used to its size and usability.

PS as mentioned in my other thread, are there any G9300 owners considering getting the CF strap that comes with the GW9300? i am considering doing this for longevity reasons as long as the strap does not cost too much.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Congrats on your purchase! I have the Gold x Black version, G-9300GB.

Note: There is one quick shortcut tip: You can enter to Compass/Thermometer Mode at any regular mode. Example, when you in the moon/tide, world time, stopwatch, countdown timer or even the alarm mode, just pressed the COMP/THERMO buttons will enter to that mode. Just pressed back the MODE button to return to your last mode. This features has been missed out Casio Manual...

Wear in good health!

cheers

yschow

·
Registered
473 Posts
One annoying thing about the G-9300 is the compass/thermometer mode blanks out after 20secs after it stopped taking readings. o|o|
The Protreks and Riseman leave the last known reading displayed.

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
I saw some of these at Macy's. Another difference I noticed between the atomic and the regular (aside from the carbon fiber strap) is the inner bezel ring, which is a matte black on the world release and a gloss black on the atomic JDM version. This difference does not apply to the 9300GY (both versions have a matte inner bezel ring).

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
One annoying thing about the G-9300 is the compass/thermometer mode blanks out after 20secs after it stopped taking readings. o|o|
The Protreks and Riseman leave the last known reading displayed.
I want bigger batteries so they can timeout after 1 minute. :-d

·
Registered
272 Posts
I just got my G9300 Gold x Black too, its a damn fine watch, lots of functions. Besides the metal tin, it should come with a bigger G-Shock box which can hold both the manuals & tin inside it.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Good posting, thanks for the tip.
Congrats on your purchase! I have the Gold x Black version, G-9300GB.

Note: There is one quick shortcut tip: You can enter to Compass/Thermometer Mode at any regular mode. Example, when you in the moon/tide, world time, stopwatch, countdown timer or even the alarm mode, just pressed the COMP/THERMO buttons will enter to that mode. Just pressed back the MODE button to return to your last mode. This features has been missed out Casio Manual...

Wear in good health!

cheers

yschow

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ha thanks yschow. what timing eh Drewbo? could not have planned that better.

and yea it is kind of annoying how it stops taking measurements, i think that is what the bearing memory function is for. although i would be too lazy to use that so i would end up pressing the button again.

interesting kung-fusion i did not notice that. it is hard to tell from the available pictures on this forum.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I want bigger batteries so they can timeout after 1 minute. :-d
I'm not asking for the watch to continue taking readings forever so no need for bigger batteries :-d:-d

The Protreks cease taking readings after 20secs as well but the readings are still displayed vs G-9300 readings --- (blanked).

·
Registered
377 Posts
I have no trouble reading the date on my G-9000s. I like the way that eye-candy sub-dials and progress bars are kept small and most of the space is dedicated to showing the Day, Date & Time.

My RiseMan spends a lot of time on the windowsill because it has a date display that is too challenging for me to read. I wear my watches to work and my job involves rather frequent writing down of Time & Date. I need my watch to be functional that way and not just good-looking.

A few reasons why I'm not lusting after the new 9300 MudMan is the high-cost, functionality that I'll never actually use, questionable readability of new functionality (compass in a tiny eye?), not that appealing style IMO and eye-straining wee Riseman date display fears.

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
You find that annoying? Try to take a compass bearing during darkness or low light when using EL is necessary - THAT you will find annoying...

cheers

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
A few reasons why I'm not lusting after the new 9300 MudMan is the high-cost, functionality that I'll never actually use, questionable readability of new functionality (compass in a tiny eye?), not that appealing style IMO and eye-straining wee Riseman date display fears.
When you enter compass mode, the digits representing time are used for showing degrees. The small eye only points to magnetic north. You can also modify the compass to indicate true north. New G9300-1's are going for as low as $130 and I truly believe it's worth every penny. The readout is HIGHLY legible compared to my other G's. I've found myself wearing the G9300 more than anything else, lately. There date is huge compared to the tiny Riseman

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
enjoy the mudman you will get many years out of it and its a great watch
thanks i definitely will!

and good point fwupow, that is part of the reason why i got the G9000 in the first place. i liked how it kept things simple and did what it was supposed to do; tell the time in a very durable form. i looked at mine again and thought hmm i still wish it was a bit bigger. then i looked at my G9300 and realized there was my answer.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I got my G9300GB-1 recently, and I love it! I Agree with what you said, especially about the small display. Trying to read the H on the battery meter is like trying to see a proton.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Lucky for you guys. Mine is pending for surgery. Luckily, its still under warranty. Waiting for a new body to arrive from Japan.
What happened to yours, Scud?

·
Registered
439 Posts
PHP:
What happened to yours, Scud?
Fogging in between the main crystal and the solar panel. Cannot be cleaned unless top layer of crystal removed. My agent suggests ordering a whole new case since its still under warranty. He also showed me a whole bunch of GX 56 and risemans suffering the same fate. There is at least 15 fogged up casings of the kings and mostly the blue king and 2 dgk 's. ( I assume they're DGK's, unless there's a purple king that I'm unaware)

Sad to see this happening to the current tough solar series, especially for the kings. Thailand is not a ideal country for casing due the high humidity. I hope Casio gets this sorted soon.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts