WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I work for a major construction company in the Cleveland market, where we also have offices in North Carolina, South Carolina and Virginia. Been with the mentioned company for 36 years, and happen to be a second generation employee as well. Our president, and owner of the company, happens to be a bit of a watch collector himself, but not as extreme as I. I believe his collection consists of a Rolex GMT Master II, I think there maybe a Cellini in the mix, IWC Portuguese, Cartier Roadster and an Omega Seamaster Bond. Well, a couple of months ago, he wanted me to adjust his Rolex GMT for his wrist size, and he knew I was a bit of a collector. It was a simple task to make the adjustment he wanted, and I mentioned about his Omega. Of our conversation, I told him that I once owned the exact same Omega, but traded it for a Fortis B42 chrono. I added, that I deeply regretted doing that trade.
Well, fast forward to today, I was working in my office this afternoon, and then my extreme Boss (...mentioned President and owner of our company) came in my office with a little boutique bag. I though to myself, okay, what does he want me to adjust now. Looked in the small bag, and saw an Omega red service clutch. He looked at me, and said "it is yours, and it it just came back from service." I looked at him, and I became speechless. He added, "I know you love watches, and I want you to have it." I reminded him, that his the exact same Omega I traded fourteen years ago. I literally began to cry with overwhelming enjoyment of his gracious jester. I had to hug him, and it was a moment I will never forget.

...of the picture, I needed to take off the Bond bracelet in order to remove a link, hence the sailcloth strap as a temporary shoe. My question to you guys, I need to find a great bottle of Scotch for my Boss?...

image.jpeg

·
Registered
172 Posts
God-tier boss skills right there. I bet you earned it after three decades of loyal service.

If you're asking "should you" get him some scotch, well, maybe just let his gift settle in without any hint of quid pro quo. It's just my opinion, but I always feel a kind gesture is better left unreciprocated, at least in the immediate sense. The warm glow of giving, so to speak, can be unintentionally undercut by getting something ostensibly in return for an unsolicited gift, even where given in the very best of intentions and most assuredly deserved.

But, if you're dead set on giving him something, and you're just wondering which bottle of scotch, I can't say enough good things about Macallan Fine Oak 15 years or older so long as your boss likes Speyside scotch!

·
Registered
27,049 Posts
God-tier boss skills right there. I bet you earned it after three decades of loyal service.

If you're asking "should you" get him some scotch, well, maybe just let his gift settle in without any hint of quid pro quo. It's just my opinion, but I always feel a kind gesture is better left unreciprocated, at least in the immediate sense. The warm glow of giving, so to speak, can be unintentionally undercut by getting something ostensibly in return for an unsolicited gift, even where given in the very best of intentions and most assuredly deserved.
This is really good advice. Ive often felt the same way but have never been able to articulate it like this

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
My question to you guys, I need to find a great bottle of Scotch for my Boss?...
If he is a peat guy that likes the smokyness, get him the Lagavulin 30.
If he is the smooth savory type Macallan 25

Iv've had both, and dang they are good.

lagavulin-1976-30-year-old-with-presentation-box-2033-p.jpg
macob.25yo.jpg

·
Registered
13,517 Posts
What a great boss, who obviously appreciates what you do, and who you are.

You must also be a great employee so Kudos to you for earning such respect.

You don't have to provide a gift, but a nice hand written thank you card with a personal message would be a nice touch.

Maybe you could even attach it to the scotch that way it becomes part of the thank you rather than a reciprocal gift.

I second the Macallan 25 and Lagavulin.

Both great choices, although I lean towards the Macallan myself...

^^ tells the truth on Internet forums
So many watches, So little time...

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
The Macallan 25 is the safer bet, for sure, but oh man, that Lagavulin 30! :p That said, @FullFlavorPike has nailed the etiquette as far as returning the favor goes. However ... you might consider sending a handwritten thank-you note within the next week or so. Pour it on in the note, pour the Scotch later. :)

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gentlemen,
Thank you for some great advice on returning the favor. A bit to consider and to digest with all your views here.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Great story! Don't forget to consider the Japanese whiskys either. Hakushu 18 comes to mind for example (if you can even find it, Japanese whiskys are bit like Rolex ss these days, difficult to get you hands on due to extreme popularity and limited production.)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Gracious enough to have it serviced for you as well. That’s fine form!
Personally I wouldn’t buy a gift in return as it sullen the gesture a little. Just wear it with pride and be thankful you have such a great boss.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts

But, if you're dead set on giving him something, and you're just wondering which bottle of scotch, I can't say enough good things about Macallan Fine Oak 15 years or older so long as your boss likes Speyside scotch!
This ^^^

Congrats on the new watch sounds like you've earned it.

·
Premium Member
13,729 Posts
Congrats on the new watch. Great story and an even greater boss!

I would echo what others have said: a handwritten note would be the gracious thing to do and save the scotch for down the road.

Btw, I wouldn't be in a rush to get that baby back on the bracelet; the strap looks great.

Reactions: anrex
1 - 20 of 56 Posts