WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this JW Benson watch with an unusual dial, I think.
P1000499.JPG P1000498.JPG P1000500.JPG

It has a silver case with London import marks for 1930.
The movement works very well, accurate to within 1 min. per day. It is a 16 jewel patented lever movement with gold set jewels and a serial no. 680440. But I don't know what movement it is; can anyone help please ?
I'm also unsure about whether or not to have the dial refurbished. I don't normally care for refurbished dials, but maybe this could benefit from some work.
I would appreciate any guidance on this matter.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I am a newbie but if it was me, i would have got the dial repainted, just to give it a cleaner look sp that i can wear it daily.
1 min sounds pretty decent, given the age of the watch. Servicing can definitely bring it down to within 10 secs a day.

I am particularly interested in the strap. That looks like original from the watch. is it ?

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
I'm not sure what the movement is, but there's a resemblance to some Cyma calibres such as bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Cyma 030 - imagine the train bridge on yours being split into 3 fingers.:think:

Unless you were able to find a refinisher with dies for that particular dial pattern - and particularly those great numerals - you'd end up with a very ordinary looking watch. I'd leave it be.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Unless you were able to find a refinisher with dies for that particular dial pattern - and particularly those great numerals - you'd end up with a very ordinary looking watch. I'd leave it be.
+1...I would not touch the dial.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The strap is certainly old and worn with a worn chrome buckle. But, I would doubt if the leather had survived being worn since 1930.
I cannot even guess at it's age. The strap has no markings on it at all, no name, etc. and it has 2 new keepers.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I have another 1940s Benson with a Cyma Tavannes signed movement, so the two companies were linked.
Pardon my ignorance but what is the significance of ''' as part of the cal. no. ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts