WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just finished doing some minor work on this one, changed the setting lever and cleaned up the bezel which some moron had tried to lever off (it screws in). I don't think I'm going to be able to, er, part with it... Cyma/Tavannes 03* series movement I believe. Needs a replacement lens but that's about all.
The hallmark at the top appears to have an "F B" and a key symbol. I was under the impression that FB stood for "Freres Borgel" which doesn't compute. Anyone able to interpret the hallmarks for me?

Roy

JWB-6230003.JPG

JWB-6210006.JPG

JWB-6210005.JPG

JWB-6210001.JPG

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
What doesn't compute? It's a Borgel case (FB stands for Francois, not Freres Borgel), with Glasgow imported silver hallmarks, dating to 1934.

·
Banned
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I shall now go and lash myself with a flail, so chagrined am I.
The only Borgel cases I previously recall seeing are the "Borgel" type of which I have a few examples. And I recalled that there were two people at the inception of the company who I upgraded to brotherhood. To offer you further, no doubt immensely satisfying, evidence of my woeful ignorance, I wasn't aware thar JW Benson was simply a retailer's name: I'd always thought of them as an English "manufacturer". There seems to be no bottom to my stupidity.*
Nice watch though, eh?

Edit:
No, it wasn't me that attempted to lever off the bezel...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts