WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past two months I have been watching ebay auctions (more so than usual) looking for one of those Type 1, K-43, Kirov (whatever they are called or being called on ebay :-d) really big old WWII style military looking watches with the second hand in the 9 o'clock position. Is it just me or are they getting way too much of 'em? I was watching a couple this past month and was kinda tempted to get one. Now I realize that many of these (or all of them) are frankenwatches but I liked a couple of the finished products and thought if I could get one for around $20-$30 it might be an interesting purchase.

Needless to say I am avoiding these because I really cannot justifiy paying $100-$300 for something that isn't what it claims to be. I mean I am still learning what to look for when checking out the movement, but some look like they have been pulled out of pocket watches or as mentioned here divers watches.

Anyway I am thinking about ordering a Vostok K-43 reissue with the second hand in the 9 o'clock position. I would love to get some feedback from the members, this is a bit of a tough decision. Are people with them satisfied with them? Are they a good value for the cost? Secondly, what is the overall size comparable to a Vostok Amphibia or as big as the VE Mryia?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
If I were you I would get an original K-43. Although most of them on the Bay are franken there are almost always a few that are not. That Vostok reissue is nice too, though.

·
Registered
733 Posts
For the past two months I have been watching ebay auctions (more so than usual) looking for one of those Type 1, K-43, Kirov (whatever they are called or being called on ebay :-d) really big old WWII style military looking watches with the second hand in the 9 o'clock position. Is it just me or are they getting way too much of 'em? I was watching a couple this past month and was kinda tempted to get one. Now I realize that many of these (or all of them) are frankenwatches but I liked a couple of the finished products and thought if I could get one for around $20-$30 it might be an interesting purchase.

Needless to say I am avoiding these because I really cannot justifiy paying $100-$300 for something that isn't what it claims to be. I mean I am still learning what to look for when checking out the movement, but some look like they have been pulled out of pocket watches or as mentioned here divers watches.

Anyway I am thinking about ordering a Vostok K-43 reissue with the second hand in the 9 o'clock position. I would love to get some feedback from the members, this is a bit of a tough decision. Are people with them satisfied with them? Are they a good value for the cost? Secondly, what is the overall size comparable to a Vostok Amphibia or as big as the VE Mryia?

Thanks in advance
They are 44mm. A little bigger than the Amphibia.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. You wouldn't happen to know the lug size?

·
Registered
733 Posts
I believe 20mm. Not 100% sure though.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks

·
Registered
733 Posts
You are welcome.:)

·
Registered
108 Posts

Thanks in advance
Just noticed your question here. I've owned a K-43 reissue for a little over 2 years. I've been very happy with it overall. The movement was defective from the factory, but it was repaired under warranty. Absolutely no problems since then, and the watch keeps great time (about + 10 sec/day). I think you will find the watch to be a good value for money.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks to everyone for their comments and help. I did order one of the Vostok K-43 Reissues from Russia to all. I really like dealing with them. It was shipped on the Monday enters Canada tomorrow, wow that is fast. I also ordered a Russian leather military strap to go along with it. It is the kind that you see on the older "K-43 Style" watches that are for sale on ebay. Again this forum is a great resource and thanks again. :-!

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is a pretty cool watch quite large (+40 mm ) . Did you get the deal? I subscribe to their news letter and got a discount on it, $89.00 regular $149. I found a couple of links on this forum to get some more info on it. The only things I didn't like were: the band it was a standard skinny leather one. I replaced it with a cuff military style leather band I got from one of the ukrainian ebay sellers, now the band isn't dwarfed by the watch. In some lighting situations the face is a little hard to read. I do like the fit and finish it is a very sharp looking piece and it keeps excellent time.

BTW does anyone know how to open it for servicing? This ones a real stumper.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Hi! i have the k43 with central second hand.Is a watch very nice,;-)i like the polished case...it is a 41mm,more or less and 20mm lug

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That is a nice one too, I was tempted but I really wanted one with the second hand at the nine and no date window. It looks like they are both around the same size. Very cool. How is the fit and finish with that model?

·
Affordables Moderator
17,576 Posts
My very first automatic was the Vostok K-43:

I still prefer it with the original factory strap(!) It's a great watch, keeps excellent time and is just different which I love :)

Cheers,
Griff

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah it gets a lot of comments when I wear it. I wonder who else in this group has one? That would be neat to find out.

Nice picture btw.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Thanks to everyone for their comments and help. I did order one of the Vostok K-43 Reissues from Russia to all. I really like dealing with them. It was shipped on the Monday enters Canada tomorrow, wow that is fast. I also ordered a Russian leather military strap to go along with it. It is the kind that you see on the older "K-43 Style" watches that are for sale on ebay. Again this forum is a great resource and thanks again. :-!
Not surprising how quick it was as there is only a tiny strip of water between Canada and Russia, with global warming it might even join up again.:):-d

PS I like the K43 too.
Cheers

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
That was my very first Russian watch as well Griff!

Mine's a keeper for life, still love it!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts