WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Moderator German Watches Forum
6,181 Posts
hello...i see Kadloo use copy eta made from watchmakers in Germany...worth the money?the watches are great!
I don't believe Kadloo makes any watch movements or buys any automatic
watch movements made in Germany. I think early Kadloo watches were
labeled "Swiss movement". Where they get the movements now I don't know.

Thanks,
rationaltime

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
Must be a Chinese ETA clone. No movements are made in Germany for a watch of this price.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I don't believe Kadloo makes any watch movements or buys any automatic
watch movements made in Germany. I think early Kadloo watches were
labeled "Swiss movement". Where they get the movements now I don't know.

Thanks,
rationaltime
I would join to rationaltime's caution my own: Chinese made copies are inferior, not matter what their enthusiasts may say. On other forums I've pointed out that Seagull's licensed production of the Venus 175 is decidedly inferior to the Swiss Venus 175 and been strongly attacked for this. I don't hear these attacks anymore, because people have learned that it's true. Particularly in metallurgy the Chinese lag many years behind the technology of Europe in horology, and be it springs, balances or gears, the quality just isn't there. This is also true in accuracy of basic manufacturing. As the supplies of ETA 6489 begin running out, many companies have explored using at least the base plates of these movements. Any companies that look into this problem at length find that tolerances on Chinese movements are unacceptable for European manufacturing, and you can not build a gleaning skyscraper on top of a tin roofed shack.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
There is never any reason to attack someone for telling the truth, chinese watch movements are just inferior copies! If you were to go to say the dive watch forum, which it seems is dominated by small watch companies selling chinese knockoffs you would have a real fight on your hands!

I would join to rationaltime's caution my own: Chinese made copies are inferior, not matter what their enthusiasts may say. On other forums I've pointed out that Seagull's licensed production of the Venus 175 is decidedly inferior to the Swiss Venus 175 and been strongly attacked for this. I don't hear these attacks anymore, because people have learned that it's true. Particularly in metallurgy the Chinese lag many years behind the technology of Europe in horology, and be it springs, balances or gears, the quality just isn't there. This is also true in accuracy of basic manufacturing. As the supplies of ETA 6489 begin running out, many companies have explored using at least the base plates of these movements. Any companies that look into this problem at length find that tolerances on Chinese movements are unacceptable for European manufacturing, and you can not build a gleaning skyscraper on top of a tin roofed shack.

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
Chinese copy are inferior becos becos of trying to keep production cost low and making it price very competitive, nothing to do with metallurgy or technology. In fact, they have the best consolidation of any thing to do with watching making. Be it casing or movement and The problem is are you willing to pay more if they are making better?

I with deal with some Chinese movement in watch making before. They are robust and quite accurate. Quite ridiculous cheap for the content its produces.

As for the KADLOO, I am not sure it reallys uses Chinese movt becos of most of the KADLOO watch I encounter of its price doesn't sound cheap. I suspect OP might have mistaken a decorate ETA movt by KADLOO as copy..

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
There is never any reason to attack someone for telling the truth, chinese watch movements are just inferior copies! If you were to go to say the dive watch forum, which it seems is dominated by small watch companies selling chinese knockoffs you would have a real fight on your hands!
Inferior maybe, but they also cost much less so that should be taken into account. On the other hand... Lysander's teardowns show they're actually comparable to their Swiss counterparts in quality and timekeeping.

https://www.watchuseek.com/f72/st18-eta-2892-2-review-257999.html#post1881030
https://www.watchuseek.com/f72/how-...ompare-eta-depth-look-216945.html#post1547711
https://www.watchuseek.com/f72/clar...a-gull-st16-tear-down-312588.html#post2304930 (he does state Chinese hairsprings are not as well formed as Swiss ones)

Even their watches as a whole are comparable. The Sea-Gull held its own against an Orient Star and Hamilton Khaki Navy that cost twice as much when examined under a microscope:
https://www.watchuseek.com/f71/orient-star-under-microscope-765826.html
https://www.watchuseek.com/f71/sea-gull-wuyi-under-microscope-765821.html
https://www.watchuseek.com/f71/hamilton-khaki-navy-gmt-under-microscope-764644.html

And the Swiss probably source many parts of their movements from China because of the 51% value rule. The Claro CL-888 is a pretty good example. Add in a Swiss hairspring, some Swiss labor/finishing to a Chinese movement and you've probably got enough to call it a Swiss movement. I agree they have a ways to go still (especially in QC which still seems to be lacking) but I don't think they should be dismissed or even flamed like they constantly are.

·
Registered
42,058 Posts
There're probably still ahead in, water clocks.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
As much as I respect Lysander's tear downs, perhaps one great difference between Lysander and myself--I'm also a trained certificate holding watch maker, by the way--is that I SELL Chinese watches and that I represent in my country a well known brand with many enthusiasts on this forum. So I see, not hundreds of them, but in the course of a year dozens of them. The company I work with believes in giving 100% customer satisfaction, which in itself is rare for a Chinese company. But we do this by constantly (and quickly) doing a fair amount of repairing. As someone with an entire working lifetime in the watch business, what I have said about the quality and the metallurgy problems is entirely correct. Buy a watch with a Chinese movement and it's buyer beware. They don't all break by any means. But it's just like roulette. Only the house wins in the end.

·
Registered
15,980 Posts
True that!
But, then, there would be NO History of Mankind, now, would there?

·
Registered
15,980 Posts
As someone with an entire working lifetime in the watch business, what I have said about the quality and the metallurgy problems is entirely correct. Buy a watch with a Chinese movement and it's buyer beware. They don't all break by any means. But it's just like roulette. Only the house wins in the end.
+1

Eloquently said.
I've stopped playing with guns long ago.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
The Chinese didn't license the Venus 175, they bought it outright, including all the machinery used to make them.

I've yet to see evidence that Chinese are behind in metallurgy or in manufacturing tolerances; they tend to focus on cheaper markets, so many of their movements are poor, but the good ones look to be very, very good. Take a look at curiousman's "under the microscope series on the affordables forum - I think you will be surprised at which watches have turned out worst so far (no German watches yet, but I'd expect them to do just fine).

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
I look forward receiving my first PRC made watch soon. I will give it a good workout ( all my watches get that) before I judge.

But one reflection: if they are so like the Swiss production,etc, why do we only see cheap watches from China?

Why no Quality like Omega, Rolex, Grand Seiko, etc?

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
They do. Sea-Gull, Beijing and some other companies like Longio make several thousand to tens of thousands dollar watches. They're generally (double) tourbillons , quarter/minute repeaters or precious metal though. There was a thread or two about higher end Chinese watches in CMF sub forum a little while ago if you're curious.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin

·
Registered
270 Posts
I look forward receiving my first PRC made watch soon. I will give it a good workout ( all my watches get that) before I judge.

But one reflection: if they are so like the Swiss production,etc, why do we only see cheap watches from China?

Why no Quality like Omega, Rolex, Grand Seiko, etc?
Porbably because there is no demand, and it takes time to build brand image... It's a bit like the grand seiko argument.. Why get a GS when you can get European brand X for the same money.

On a separate note, it's seems that there is little or no effort from the traditional Chinese brands to make any serious push into the higher price ranges.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
They should do the same the Japanese did with the cars in the 1970's.
Make a product that was as good, and sometimes better, at a lower price. Plus a massive advertising.

Reactions: Chronopolis
1 - 20 of 35 Posts