WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After noticing the Japanese day wheel in a couple of cool photos, I decided that since I can hardly read the date anymore without glasses that I rarely carrry and use mainly for reading at night, I might as well switch to the Japanese Day on my Tuna 'cause it looks kinda cool....it is a "Japan-only", model, right? Anybody else silly enough to do this:-s:-x:roll:

:-d:-d:-d:-d

BTW, after wearing dive watches of all shapes and sizes for some 10 years, for the first time yesterday, someone asked me "are you a diver?" after eyeballing the Tuna on my wrist. Unfortunately, my answer was "no, but I play one on tv..."

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yep, I did that with my GS. It makes it look more exclusive and helps me remember the translations. Someone in a thread asked me a couple of weeks ago about the kanji, so I copied and pasted them here, in case anyone's interested.

日 Sunday
月 Monday
火 Tuesday
水 Wednesday
木 Thursday
金 Friday
土 Saturday

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep, I did that with my GS. It makes it look more exclusive and helps me remember the translations. Someone in a thread asked me a couple of weeks ago about the kanji, so I copied and pasted them here, in case anyone's interested.

日 Sunday
月 Monday
火 Tuesday
水 Wednesday
木 Thursday
金 Friday
土 Saturday
That is way cool....in fact, I'd like to put it in my signature...would ya mind?:-!

·
Registered
644 Posts

日 Sunday
月 Monday
火 Tuesday
水 Wednesday
木 Thursday
金 Friday
土 Saturday
I have kanji date wheels on 2 of mine, and use them frequently. Thanks for posting the day legend, Budopo; I looked all over the place for this information and couldn't find it. Then I noticed that Sunday is in red, in both languages, so I was set!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have kanji date wheels on 2 of mine, and use them frequently. Thanks for posting the day legend, Budopo; I looked all over the place for this information and couldn't find it. Then I noticed that Sunday is in red, in both languages, so I was set!
I studied Japanese for a year (but about 13 years ago, so I've forgotten a lot) and my wife (of 3 weeks, today) is Japanese, but I just noticed that they follow the Asian 5 elements. The kanji meanings (and Japanese pronunciations) are:

日 Sunday - Sun - Nichi-yobi
月 Monday - Moon - Getsu-yobi
火 Tuesday - Fire - Ka-yobi
水 Wednesday - Water - Sui-yobi
木 Thursday - Wood - Moku-yobi
金 Friday - Metal - Kin-yobi
土 Saturday - Earth - Do-yobi

Friday's kanji can also mean "gold", so I use it to mark paydays on my calendar, though there's not too much gold in the paycheck. :)

Tallguy, go ahead and use it for your signature line. Feel free.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Congratulations on the wife :-d:-! Mine doesn't speak a word of Japanese, but I lover her dearly. Besides, she puts up with my passion for watches...

·
Banned
1,981 Posts
off topic here:

but i think among asians, japanese women are very attractive.
sharp features, fair skin and superb dress sense (applies to the men too).

when i was in japan with my then gf (now my wife), i was like, wow, everywhere we go, we see really beautiful people. i was tryin so hard not to look but again, there were just too many of them, they are everywhere!

it is a beautiful clean colorful country that i would love to visit again.

btw, my Tuna's day wheel is switched to kanji too!:-!:thanks

·
Registered
762 Posts
I studied Japanese for a year (but about 13 years ago, so I've forgotten a lot) and my wife (of 3 weeks, today) is Japanese, but I just noticed that they follow the Asian 5 elements. The kanji meanings (and Japanese pronunciations) are:

日 Sunday - Sun - Nichi-yobi
月 Monday - Moon - Getsu-yobi
火 Tuesday - Fire - Ka-yobi
水 Wednesday - Water - Sui-yobi
木 Thursday - Wood - Moku-yobi
金 Friday - Metal - Kin-yobi
土 Saturday - Earth - Do-yobi

Friday's kanji can also mean "gold", so I use it to mark paydays on my calendar, though there's not too much gold in the paycheck. :)

Tallguy, go ahead and use it for your signature line. Feel free.
Hi there,
I think I was the one that asked about the kanji. :)
Thanks alot.... :thanks
In my mother tongue language (Cantonese),

日 Sunday - Sun - Nichi-yobi *yat*
月 Monday - Moon - Getsu-yobi *yut*
火 Tuesday - Fire - Ka-yobi *for*
水 Wednesday - Water - Sui-yobi *sui*
木 Thursday - Wood - Moku-yobi *muk*
金 Friday - Metal - Kin-yobi *kam*
土 Saturday - Earth - Do-yobi *tou*

"kam, muk, sui, for, tou" are the 5 elements of Asian. Super cool... :p

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fun thread of wives, watches and cultures....my watch may be Japanese, but my wife of 10 years is a 5'11" Sudanese Goddessb-) But I guess that the days of the week in Arabic would likely be irrelevant to this thread.....:rodekaart

·
Registered
68 Posts
... since I can hardly read the date anymore without glasses that I rarely carrry and use mainly for reading at night, I might as well switch to the Japanese Day on my Tuna 'cause it looks kinda cool...
yeah, I know what you mean... as we get older we begin to suffer from T-Rex Syndrome, your arms are not long enough to put things were you can read them... :-d

I have only one Citizen set to kanji symbols and it's pretty cool...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Here are the alternate day wheels from my meagre collection, I rarely use the english ones (I reckon that I know what day it is most of the time...)

·
Registered
9,285 Posts
I wish I had one with a Portuguese day wheel. At least today.

·
Banned
11,612 Posts
off topic here:

but i think among asians, japanese women are very attractive.
sharp features, fair skin and superb dress sense (applies to the men too).

when i was in japan with my then gf (now my wife), i was like, wow, everywhere we go, we see really beautiful people. i was tryin so hard not to look but again, there were just too many of them, they are everywhere!

it is a beautiful clean colorful country that i would love to visit again.

btw, my Tuna's day wheel is switched to kanji too!:-!:thanks
Something I learned from my years at a merchant marine Academy and on merchant vessels is that there are beautiful (and ugly) people everywhere and to expect any one country to have a higher incidence of either usually has more to do with personal preference than the reality on the ground.

I also learned that Austin Powers wasn't far from the truth when he said that sailors were dirty buggers. ;-)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts