WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So the postman came today with my watches. As I opened the package to inspect them, I noticed the AWG100R-1As all had resin bands instead of the composite bands that all of the online retailers show! I called Casio, and since they "no longer carry that model" they could not verify in an official photo that it should have came with the composite band (sounds like BS, but I was cordial to the lady)

I bought three of the same watch because they are groomsman gifts for my wedding next month. I thought it would be a better gift than a cheap engraved flask that would never get used, or worse some useless trinket that would get stuffed away. I was really looking for a bracelet, but I admit the watch is very comfortable and still looks good with the resin band. I was looking for a G that was analog, stylish, atomic/solar and didnt cost a fortune (around $100 per watch was my budget)

Should I hang onto them, or send them back in search of something else? I am siding towards keeping them, but what are your thoughts here?
CIMG0561.jpg

CIMG0565.jpg

CIMG0566.jpg

CIMG0579.jpg

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
So the postman came today with my watches. As I opened the package to inspect them, I noticed the AWG100R-1As all had resin bands instead of the composite bands that all of the online retailers show! I called Casio, and since they "no longer carry that model" they could not verify in an official photo that it should have came with the composite band (sounds like BS, but I was cordial to the lady)

I bought three of the same watch because they are groomsman gifts for my wedding next month. I thought it would be a better gift than a cheap engraved flask that would never get used, or worse some useless trinket that would get stuffed away. I was really looking for a bracelet, but I admit the watch is very comfortable and still looks good with the resin band. I was looking for a G that was analog, stylish, atomic/solar and didnt cost a fortune (around $100 per watch was my budget)

Should I hang onto them, or send them back in search of something else? I am siding towards keeping them, but what are your thoughts here?
View attachment 174624

View attachment 174625

View attachment 174626

View attachment 174627

Can you take some shoots and post em here?

Are you sure you have received the correct model.

Do yours look like this:

http://www.watchzworld.com/casio_g_shock_awg100r_1a.html

If not then it is not the correct model!

EDIT: I now saw your pictures they did not show up before!

It appears as if they are AWG100R-1 See picture here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-CASIO-SOLAR-ATOMIC-G-SHOCK-AWG100R-1-AWG100-WATCH_W0QQitemZ310132685328QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Jewelery_Watches_Watches_MensWatches_GL?hash=item310132685328&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66:3|65:1|39:1|240:1318

But I am also confused because I also see lots of pictures with it and a composite bracelet. Very confusing I have to investigate this...

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
And I Investigated it...

This model came out in November last year and only the japanese domestic model AWG-100BR-1AJF had the composite bracelet. The rest of the world gets the AWG-100R-1A (notice a lack of B in the model name and also no JF letters at the end that denotes japanese only) that only has standard Resin strap.

The Japanese model is more expensive and harder to get.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I actually called Top One international (the company that runs nywatchstore.com), and had them check the strap on the AWG100R-1A. They also had a resin band on that specific model, even though it shows a composite band on the website. Casio has no claim of ever offering that watch with a compisite band :roll: even though that is definitely an official photo released by casio for online retail sales.

EDIT: Thanks for looking into it Joakim, thats what I had suspected.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Wojo,
If you decide to keep them and give them as gifts, it still would beat most of the groomsmen gifts i've seen available. I have received
1. a money clip
2. a cigar chopper (I don't even smoke cigars regularly)
3. a business card holder with my initials engraved that I never use because it doesn't hold enough cards.

A G-shock would be both thoughtful and practical imho. :-! Too bad about the mix-up on the composite bracelet, i've not seen one of those models with that configuration until this post. Resin band is pretty comfy on my AWG, and I can still get away with wearing it in the office because the overall style isn't too "chunky G" for the most part.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Keep them!:-!

And if one of your groomsmen get sick or can't make it... PM me, I look great in a tux and would love that watch!:-d:-d:-d

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Keep them. Did you happen to get one for yourself, too?? If so, I say you all wear them to the wedding-- and take some pics so we all can see. :-!
Congrats on the upcoming nuptuals! :)

·
Registered
515 Posts
Definitely keep them!! Your the best groom ever!

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Definitely keep 'em. I was having a hard time figuring out what to get my groomsmen, too, and this is perfect! My budget (per head) is going to be a little smaller though because I have 6! It's not my fault, my fiancee wanted to have 6 bridesmaids, so I had to match. When's the wedding? Mine is June 27th, and it's going to be awesome :-!

·
Registered
35,399 Posts
Definitely keep 'em. I was having a hard time figuring out what to get my groomsmen, too, and this is perfect! My budget (per head) is going to be a little smaller though because I have 6! It's not my fault, my fiancee wanted to have 6 bridesmaids, so I had to match. When's the wedding? Mine is June 27th, and it's going to be awesome :-!
Congratulations on the engagement, Hugh. You must be excited for the wedding. :)

·
Registered
35,399 Posts
If it were me, I'd probably keep them. Unless the groomsmen are high maintenance and picky guys, I think it'd be something they'd genuinely enjoy. It's unfortunate to hear that nywatchstore misrepresented the product you thought you were buying, but these things do happen. My guess is that the composite bracelet model may well have been slightly out of the budget you allocated, though.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Congratulations on the engagement, Hugh. You must be excited for the wedding. :)
:thanks I'm very excited. In addition to the beautiful woman I'm marrying

It's taking place here:

Castle Hill at Crane Estate in Ipswich, MA. Ok, enough off topic for now, back to your regularly scheduled programming :-d

If it were me, I'd probably keep them. Unless the groomsmen are high maintenance and picky guys, I think it'd be something they'd genuinely enjoy. It's unfortunate to hear that nywatchstore misrepresented the product you thought you were buying, but these things do happen. My guess is that the composite bracelet model may well have been slightly out of the budget you allocated, though.
Now that I think about it, I'd ask for some sort of compensation for their mistake, but maybe that's just me. Even if it were something like 10% off your next purchase...

·
Registered
35,399 Posts
It's taking place here:

Castle Hill at Crane Estate in Ipswich, MA. Ok, enough off topic for now, back to your regularly scheduled programming :-d
Beautiful location - very nice.

Now that I think about it, I'd ask for some sort of compensation for their mistake, but maybe that's just me. Even if it were something like 10% off your next purchase...
+1 on that one. I know of a few people who have had trouble with TopOne before. Hope they get their act together soon.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Wojo,
If you decide to keep them and give them as gifts, it still would beat most of the groomsmen gifts i've seen available. I have received
1. a money clip
2. a cigar chopper (I don't even smoke cigars regularly)
3. a business card holder with my initials engraved that I never use because it doesn't hold enough cards.
I got a rock. It was at my good friend Charlie Brown's wedding.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I actually ordered the watches from Leisurepro. I just called Top One to see if they had the same band on the watches. I may try calling them tomorrow and see if they can send me a voucher towards a future purchase =). The bracelet would have been nice, because I was thinking of engraving first names or initials into the clasp of the bracelet. I suppose the engraved watch would have been a bit much.

None of the groomsmen are high maintenance, just from all walks of like (real estate broker, factory worker, Army Officer) and they are traveling quite a ways to get there. One of my groomsman is a fellow watch fanatic (he also has a blue giez and a MIRO Gulfman) and we are hoping to get in a quick dive in the morning the day before the wedding.

The wedding is going to be on the beach in St. John May 9th. I was thinking of breaking out the Omega for the ceremony, and then we all go G's for the Reception, in good WIS fashion! It should be fun, and I will get some good pics. Looks like Im definitely keeping the Gs, thanks for the comments all!

Henxing, thats going to be a beautiful ceremony at Castle Hill!
stjohnbeach.jpg

Sorry, the spouse to be didnt want to be eternalized on WUS...:-(

·
Registered
506 Posts
If I was single I'd ask if she had a sister. :D

Keep the watches! Good call on giving those out as groomsmen gifts!

·
Registered
972 Posts
the band on the AWG series is very comfortable
bought one for my dad who loves SS band and was never a fan of resin
. . . and he loves to wear it on weekends!

i'm sure your groomsmen will definitely love it too!

keep it!

=================

@henxing: congrats in advance!

·
Registered
219 Posts
yeah, calling them would be a good idea.
but even if it fails, just look at the bright side: with the resin band the groomsmen don't have to go anywhere else to fit it.
and IMO preparing for wedding ceremony is stressful enough....'don't sweat too much on the small stuff'.
again, congrats!! :)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts