WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Ever came across hard-to-wind watches? Your actions?

• Yes. In new watch I bought. I returned it.

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Yes. In a vintage watch. Bought and got fixed.

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • No, never. No one should be selling such a watch.

• None of the above (aka you should have included more possibilities, dude!).

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, watch enthusiasts! My quest has brought me to a re-issue watch with modern 2609 caliber. The watch is excruciatingly difficult to wind. I love the appearance, but the winding part totally ruins my plans for a long-term relation and ownership...I think I will return the watch. I am totally blown out by multitude of questions...1) how can anyone produce that and what's the quality control? 2) how can you sell a watch without checking it first? 3) what could I, as a buyer have done differently, given this is an online purchase. Reputable seller, mechanism (I own 3 other Soviet watches with 2609 and they are a pleasure to wind!), company and still such a sad/frustrating experience...any comforting thoughts/suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
865 Posts
That’s unusual to hear

Either the crown is worn

or the keyless area to mainspring barrel is not lubricated properly.

If you have bought it recently, send it back or have it a proper service.

Mat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
80 Posts
Last time I had one like this the movement holding ring had rotated slightly and the cut-out for the crown stem was hard against the stem. I'm not sure thought whether yours as a movement holder ring that would do this.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
My quest has brought me to a re-issue watch with modern 2609 caliber
(...)
No, that is mechanical, hand-winding caliber. 2609 from Poljot.
"Poljot " and "modern 2609 caliber" are words that just can't fit together... what did you buy actually, a modern reissue with a vintage movement, or a reissue with some other maker's caliber (i.e. Maktime)?

·
Registered
86 Posts
"Poljot " and "modern 2609 caliber" are words that just can't fit together... what did you buy actually, a modern reissue with a vintage movement, or a reissue with some other maker's caliber (i.e. Maktime)?
From what I read, when people at Maktime took the reins of the Poljot factory, they managed to find some 2614s and 2609s. And, if memory serves me well, these movements were still produced for a short while, in small numbers, after the Maktime deal. I've seen some Volmax watches with 26xx movements, in fact I own such a watch, and said movements didn't give me the impresion that they were assembled in the 80s or 90s.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Can you post pictures for us? only if you can open the back case.

Mat

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
From what I read, when people at Maktime took the reins of the Poljot factory, they managed to find some 2614s and 2609s. And, if memory serves me well, these movements were still produced for a short while, in small numbers, after the Maktime deal. I've seen some Volmax watches with 26xx movements, in fact I own such a watch, and said movements didn't give me the impresion that they were assembled in the 80s or 90s.
If it's an original Poljot it should bear their Crown logo somewhere -of course, that would mean it's about 10/15 years old at best.
Otherwise it could be more recent but hardly "modern" in the meaning of "newly made" anyway, so I wonder just how old it can actually be.

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
Sorry to hear of a problem mate.
The 2609 is usually a smooth winder

Vostok bought all the 26' to keep their 24' machines running , a few years ago

unsure whether much left , but still a few new models with the movement in

My own 33

not as slick as on the 50th. , but not bad

Suggest getting in touch with the supplier mate. Best of luck. Cheers

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
May be you are right, but I am reading this off the seller website now "... powered by... Poljot manual winding caliber 2609 with 17 jewels...". So, seller's description is incorrect, then?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry to hear of a problem mate.
The 2609 is usually a smooth winder

Vostok bought all the 26' to keep their 24' machines running , a few years ago

unsure whether much left , but still a few new models with the movement in

My own 33

View attachment 15497683 View attachment 15497685 View attachment 15497687

not as slick as on the 50th. , but not bad

Suggest getting in touch with the supplier mate. Best of luck. Cheers
Thanks for the advice! That's exactly what I've got, just cream dial version... :-(

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If it's painful to wind then it's malfunctioning and worth returning for it to be fixed! By the way, can you please tell us who's the seller?
Sorry, I am a bit uncomfortable telling who the seller is. I truly believe that was an 'honest mistake' and that will be fixed. This may happen to the best of us, I am sure...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Can you post pictures for us? only if you can open the back case.

Mat
That would be a good idea, but I am totally unequipped to do so. I am afraid of scratching the case, even a bit and I may have to return it. What I a doing these days is letting the watch loose the wind to achieve full stop and I am trying to wind it again, hoping that I didn't do it right the first time somehow... that is probably childish and probably follows the definition of insanity , i.e., repeating exact same action, waiting for a different outcome", but just in case...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Guys, an important update:
I thank you very much for your support and suggestions, but I suspect the problem I described was completely my fault. I never let the watch to stop fully. Finally, the watch stopped completely and I managed to wind it and that was much easier than the first time... so, my guess is that either I was too excited and kept winding and winding it or somehow the winding was stiff at the beginning due to whatever reason. Most likely my fault. I will confirm when the watch stops again (probably in 3x hours) and will post pictures. Sorry and thanks for your support!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello, watch enthusiasts! My quest has brought me to a re-issue watch with modern 2609 caliber. The watch is excruciatingly difficult to wind. I love the appearance, but the winding part totally ruins my plans for a long-term relation and ownership...I think I will return the watch. I am totally blown out by multitude of questions...1) how can anyone produce that and what's the quality control? 2) how can you sell a watch without checking it first? 3) what could I, as a buyer have done differently, given this is an online purchase. Reputable seller, mechanism (I own 3 other Soviet watches with 2609 and they are a pleasure to wind!), company and still such a sad/frustrating experience...any comforting thoughts/suggestions? Thanks!
I have a new Sturmanskie Gagarin 2609, its very weird to wind, it stops a lot. i am going to let it run all the way down and then wind it a few times to see if I can get it to quit stopping. Keep me up on what you find out thanks.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts