WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
image.jpg
While I anxiously await pictures of the MKII Keywest I've been looking at some gilt dialed examples. Still not sure of gilt or non-gilt, but Pepsi for sure. Thanks for looking.

·
Registered
986 Posts
While I anxiously await pictures of the MKII Keywest I've been looking at some gilt dialed examples. Still not sure of gilt or non-gilt, but Pepsi for sure. Thanks for looking.
My first thought when I saw that picture was, YIKES! What happened to that 24 hour hand??

·
Registered
3,447 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
I don't believe that is a gilt dial. Isn't that warm color just the lume showing it's age? I know there were a rare few 1675's that had a gilt chapter-underlined dial. Those usually go for MUCH higher prices too.

·
Registered
92 Posts
how about matte vs. glossy dial?

I'm also pretty sure about pepsi (at least for now) and I'm leaning towards non-gilt, but the deeper black of the glossy dial may change my mind.

·
Registered
987 Posts
That brings up a great point… why does that non-gilt dial have to be matte? Why couldn't it ALSO be glossy like the gilt dial?

And while we're at it, I also think it would be nice to have real white/silver gilt as an option, not like the pseudo-treatment on the 3-6-9 Nassau.

·
Registered
92 Posts
That brings up a great point… why does that non-gilt dial have to be matte? Why couldn't it ALSO be glossy like the gilt dial?

And while we're at it, I also think it would be nice to have real white/silver gilt as an option, not like the pseudo-treatment on the 3-6-9 Nassau.

non-gilt with glossy dial would probably be my choice, but the matte finish on Nassau also looks great. I guess the problem was, that with two different bezels you already have 6 variants and adding another options would slow things down.

edit: while we're at it, a clean white dial with black lines (like polar 16570) would also be great, as the option to put silver hands on gilt dial. :)

·
Registered
987 Posts
I understand that, but I guess my question is why does the non-gilt option have to also be matte? That makes deciding between the two black dials more difficult, as it's not just gilt vs. non-gilt, it's also gilt + glossy dial vs. non-gilt NON-glossy dial. Its almost like what if the bezel choices were pepsi w/ lumed inlay vs. coke without lumed inlay… for a lot of people it's hard enough to chose just off the color, so why throw another variable into the mix to make it more difficult?

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I thought the 1675 had that tiny little 24-hour triangle. this one seems reasonably sized. Where did the picture of the tiny triangle come from?
The early 1675's did have the small triangle GMT hand. This was a carryover from the 6542 which our Key West is a homage of.
If you read and research Rolex vintage, one thing becomes abundantly clear. Rolex doesn't give out information, which leads to a great deal of speculation and antidotal evidence. Hence there is a lot of conflicting information and not even the experts agree on everything. One thing we do know, when Rolex made a change, they were very frugal, and consequently used up the old parts before introducing the new. This lead to some overlap and confusion. So in the case of the small GMT triangle, it was used on gilt dial 1675's and when the dials were changed to the matte dials, they changed the hand to the larger triangle. However as was the case with Rolex, there have been cases of the small triangle appearing on some low number matte dial GMT's. Also because RSC's are or were obsessive about changing out parts when watches were sent in for service, many dials and hands were replaced with new "service" dials and hands. There is no telling how many vintage Rolex watches from that era are now worth a fraction of their value because Double Red Seadweller dials, Red sub dials, early 6542 and 1675 dials and hands were changed out for newer versions. But that my friend, in ten thousand words or less is what was going on, and the story (at least my version!!) of the small triangle GMT hand.
Actually, since the 1675 had and unprecedented run of around 21 years, the vast majority of them have the large triangle hand. Personally, I like the small triangle hand, but from a practical standpoint, the larger triangle was more visible in the dark, which may have been a pretty important factor for pilots in a dark cockpit at night. This is very much a moot point today as all of these old tritium dials and hands have long since lost their "glow".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Yeah, pilots really needed the large, bright 24h hand when they're looking through Renauld sunglasses. (Yes, I know TWA vs. Pan Am, just making a humorous point.)

·
Registered
986 Posts
The early 1675's did have the small triangle GMT hand. This was a carryover from the 6542 which our Key West is a homage of.
If you read and research Rolex vintage, one thing becomes abundantly clear. Rolex doesn't give out information, which leads to a great deal of speculation and antidotal evidence. Hence there is a lot of conflicting information and not even the experts agree on everything. One thing we do know, when Rolex made a change, they were very frugal, and consequently used up the old parts before introducing the new. This lead to some overlap and confusion. So in the case of the small GMT triangle, it was used on gilt dial 1675's and when the dials were changed to the matte dials, they changed the hand to the larger triangle. However as was the case with Rolex, there have been cases of the small triangle appearing on some low number matte dial GMT's. Also because RSC's are or were obsessive about changing out parts when watches were sent in for service, many dials and hands were replaced with new "service" dials and hands. There is no telling how many vintage Rolex watches from that era are now worth a fraction of their value because Double Red Seadweller dials, Red sub dials, early 6542 and 1675 dials and hands were changed out for newer versions. But that my friend, in ten thousand words or less is what was going on, and the story (at least my version!!) of the small triangle GMT hand.
Actually, since the 1675 had and unprecedented run of around 21 years, the vast majority of them have the large triangle hand. Personally, I like the small triangle hand, but from a practical standpoint, the larger triangle was more visible in the dark, which may have been a pretty important factor for pilots in a dark cockpit at night. This is very much a moot point today as all of these old tritium dials and hands have long since lost their "glow".
Thanks, Arthur. I greatly appreciate the history, even if I don't love the tiny triangle. ;-)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts