WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for some advice from Hamilton owners. I would like to add a nice field watch to my collection. This watch will be used exclusively as a weekend, travel, and beater watch. I have narrowed it down to two choices and I would like the Hamilton forum member‘s input please.

My first potential choice is the 38mm Hamilton khaki automatic black dial. I have always liked the traditional look of this field watch. I am impressed with the 100m water resistance which can come in handy during travel. I also like the fact that it is a real strap monster. I really can’t find many drawbacks to this piece. Am I missing something?

The second potential choice is the Hamilton khaki king champagne dial. This watch is 40mm in diameter and it has a lug to lug measurement of 47mm, which is the same lug to lug as the khaki automatic 38mm, so I assume they wear pretty much the same. However, one issue is that lighter dial watches tend to wear larger and I want to keep my new choice as close to a traditional field watch size as possible. Does this watch wear larger than it’s 40mm? Another drawback for this watch may be the 50m water resistance which really doesn’t lend itself to making it a true outdoors watch. Any thoughts?

All input is welcome! Thank you.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I would it depends on a few factors, wrist size, strap, Nato or SS bracelet etc.

I have both the KF auto and the KF mechanical in 38mm, the look different and had different WR ratings, the mechanical is a true representation of the 1960's Hack model where as the auto is more of a modern interpretation.

So I guess you would have to decide the style of field watch you would be looking for, here are a couple of photos of my two, I have a 7.25 inch wrist for reference

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would it depends on a few factors, wrist size, strap, Nato or SS bracelet etc.

I have both the KF auto and the KF mechanical in 38mm, the look different and had different WR ratings, the mechanical is a true representation of the 1960's Hack model where as the auto is more of a modern interpretation.

So I guess you would have to decide the style of field watch you would be looking for, here are a couple of photos of my two, I have a 7.25 inch wrist for reference

View attachment 15335114

View attachment 15335115
Thanks. I appreciate the response. I have to add that after 295 views and only one response the members in the Hamilton forum don’t seem to be very passionate about their watches. Too bad. I really like them.

·
Registered
29,181 Posts
I vote Khaki King. Great all around model that goes with almost any occasion, IMHO.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
I once had the same dilema. Definitely depends on wrist size and preference for size.

The king wears much bigger and is more practical with day & date.

The Field looks a little more elegant and pairs better with straps (IMO) wears much better on a smaller wrist.

cant go wrong either way but my choice would be the Field as it's a little more versatile.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
OP I picked up the black KFA 38mm for a similar purpose, but within the first hour of wearing it, I realized it was going to be my favorite watch, and now I baby it. Absolutely the best watch. I like the King too, but Hamilton nailed virtually everything about the KFA 38mm. It was also my first Hamilton, and now I have four. So what does that say... ;)

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a black dial Khaki King, and I like it so much that I am also looking to get a champagne dial one. I have a 7.25 inch wrist. I hope this helps:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts