WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried Orbita and a couple other databases and found nothing. Anyone know the winder setting for an H-30 movement? Mine is in a Khaki field day/date.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
3 different settings that I know of, clockwise, counter-clockwise, bi-directional.

Sent from my K92 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Tried Orbita and a couple other databases and found nothing. Anyone know the winder setting for an H-30 movement? Mine is in a Khaki field day/date.

Thanks!
Second setting out is time change, bi-directional. First setting out is clockwise for date change and counter clockwise for day change. If this js what you are asking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
Now that makes sense!! I think you are right! Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We were probably typing at the same time..
Plus I don't really know what the specific setting for that movement is.. I would email or call Hamilton...

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
Could be, I'm no expert for sure, maybe one will reply eventually, do you have a winder now or looking to buy one?

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
Tried Orbita and a couple other databases and found nothing. Anyone know the winder setting for an H-30 movement? Mine is in a Khaki field day/date. Thanks!
On a related note, I asked the AD where I bought my two Hamilton’s on whether or not I should obtain a watch winder (they also sell watch winders as well) and he informed me me that there was too much hype about the winders (mostly from the watch winder industry) and advised me not to purchase one, and just make sure to wind my watch at least once a week if it had stopped to get the lubricants moving.

I have inserted two links, the first one is an article the discusses the merits of storing and not storing a watch on a winder, and the second one may answer the OP’s question as to the TPD rate for each Hamilton model. Unfortunately, I do not know if they are referring to the ETA calibers or the H-XX calibers.

Should Watches Be Stored On Winders?
https://www.thehourglass.com/au/news/watches-on-winders/

Spin-R:
Watch Winding Specifications

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I emailed Hamilton and this was their completely non-responsive reply:

“Hello Scott,

Thank you for your email. The standard practice for our timepieces is to wind it clockwise about 40-45 times then wear it as it works with he movement of your wrist. Kindly note your power reserve as well if it's not an everyday timepiece for you.

Should you have further questions, feel free to give us a call at 1-800-234-8463.”

I guess I’ll call...

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
So I emailed Hamilton and this was their completely non-responsive reply:

“Hello Scott,

Thank you for your email. The standard practice for our timepieces is to wind it clockwise about 40-45 times then wear it as it works with he movement of your wrist. Kindly note your power reserve as well if it's not an everyday timepiece for you.

Should you have further questions, feel free to give us a call at 1-800-234-8463.”

I guess I’ll call...
Tell them you have a watchwinder with 3 settings( CW, CCW, & Bi-directional) and how many TPD (turns per day)... It requires.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well now I feel a bit foolish. The reason I asked is because I assumed that the tpd and direction would be the same as a Tissot Powermatic 80, so I wound it and set the winder for CCW and 900ish tbd (800 is recommended, but my winder doesn’t have an 800 setting.). I put it on this morning, and after about ten minutes I saw that it was running, but was about 15 hours behind. It was obvious that it had stopped running while on the winder, and had begun running after I moved around a bit. I reset it, gave it 20 winds, and tasked myself with finding what the settings should be, since the setting for the Powermatic 80 clearly isn’t right for the H-30 (or is it?) When I got home, I decided to try CW 900, and when I turned the winder around to access the settings, I saw that I had previously made a mistake on one of the settings - the on/off setting. So it and an also-stopped Certina with an 80 hour power reserve had been sitting in a watch it-won’t-wind-them-if-the-power-switch-is-off winder.

Oops.

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
Hahaha, ! The instructions that came with my winder(used 1 time) aren't worded very well. It remains unplugged. Looks really nice though!

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Now I have called. They said to “try” bidirectional with 650 - 900 tpd. I’m almost certain that’s not right, so I said thanks and gave up on getting useful info FROM THE MAKER!

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
I don't believe you can over wind it also from what I can find bi-directional is correct, 800 TPD. I have a H-10 Khaki Field Auto Titanium, it is the date only version that is the setting for mine.
I'm not sure that a winder will ever fully wind the watch, I think only the crown will do that..

1 - 20 of 25 Posts