WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I was just wondering if anyone knew where one could buy a Khaki field mechanical 38mm (preferably on bracelet) but specifically with the ETA 2824-2 movement rather than the newer H10 movement ?

many thanks

·
Registered
562 Posts
I think it's going to be difficult. I suspect that the sources who say the watch comes with the eta movement have simply not updated their websites. Let us know if you manage to find it somewhere.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I recently hunted for a particular Jazzmaster with a 2824-2 instead of the H-10. After many emails and picture swapping with several online suppliers I gave up. You can’t rely on the pics on the websites, and I was surprised at the lack of even basic knowledge of movements when corresponding with the staffs. I ended up buying a different model altogether that only comes with one movement type. If I was committed to purchasing a model with the 2824-2 instead of the H-10 it would be in person so I could confirm what I was buying.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think it's going to be difficult. I suspect that the sources who say the watch comes with the eta movement have simply not updated their websites. Let us know if you manage to find it somewhere.
I recently hunted for a particular Jazzmaster with a 2824-2 instead of the H-10. After many emails and picture swapping with several online suppliers I gave up. You can’t rely on the pics on the websites, and I was surprised at the lack of even basic knowledge of movements when corresponding with the staffs. I ended up buying a different model altogether that only comes with one movement type. If I was committed to purchasing a model with the 2824-2 instead of the H-10 it would be in person so I could confirm what I was buying.
Thanks for the responses.

I think that you are both right, its just do you bother taking the risk?

I actually bought this watch a few months back from a seller on chrono24 I think. It was listed as having the eta movement. Plenty of reassuring correspondence between me and the vendor confirming this.

When the watch arrived it had the H-10 movement!? - Reported this back to the vendor who asked for a photo of the movement - Then apologies and watch returned no problem. I honestly believe that the person corresponding with me believed that it had the eta 2824 and not the H-10 but she was just misinformed by stock room staff or whoever.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Thanks for the responses.

I think that you are both right, its just do you bother taking the risk?

I actually bought this watch a few months back from a seller on chrono24 I think. It was listed as having the eta movement. Plenty of reassuring correspondence between me and the vendor confirming this.

When the watch arrived it had the H-10 movement!? - Reported this back to the vendor who asked for a photo of the movement - Then apologies and watch returned no problem. I honestly believe that the person corresponding with me believed that it had the eta 2824 and not the H-10 but she was just misinformed by stock room staff or whoever.
It is rather sad, but even the people who work in the industry don't have much knowledge about watches. It sure sounds like an honest mistake, but still, how hard is it to look at the back of the watch and see that it's not a 2824?

By the way, it took months even for the official Hamilton website to update the information after having changed the movements!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Raindog,

What threw me off is when I recently goggled the model number of the watch it took me to the Hamilton site (probably an old one) where my watch was listed with ETA. Not sure what Hamilton can do about this.

RR

·
Registered
269 Posts
Raindog,

What threw me off is when I recently goggled the model number of the watch it took me to the Hamilton site (probably an old one) where my watch was listed with ETA. Not sure what Hamilton can do about this.

RR

Sorry, googled, not goggled. Have skiing on my mind today..

·
Registered
216 Posts
At this point, I'd say the only places that may have the ETA models are ADs with old stock or the used market.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Raindog,

RR

Sorry, googled, not goggled. Have skiing on my mind today..
I think what you were trying to say is that the goggles do nothing!

TheSimpsons0702-1.jpg

I have had trouble getting even basic truthful information from watch salespeople. When you suspect you’re being strung along in a bricks and mortar store, point at a new Hamilton and ask, “is this the new one with the co-axial movement?” And you’ll get a “yes” more often than you’d like.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi All,

I was just wondering if anyone knew where one could buy a Khaki field mechanical 38mm (preferably on bracelet) but specifically with the ETA 2824-2 movement rather than the newer H10 movement ?

many thanks
if you can, find a seller with the Hamilton watch with the 2824 movement.
The new ones with the H10 have no escapement.
spring made of silicone?
More power reserve but at a compromise.
If anything goes wrong they will replace the whole movement.
In short go on the hunt on EBAY for the ETA 2824 equipped Hamiltons.

DON'T BELIEVE WHAT I WRITE, RESEARCH WHAT I WRITE...

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
You'll find one on Ebay, theres always a few up for sale from owners that dont know (or care) what they have.

before you buy check the caseback. The H10 has a different shaped rotor and 2824 2 is mentioned on the ETA versions

Here's mine.

Happy hunting

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
if you can, find a seller with the Hamilton watch with the 2824 movement.
The new ones with the H10 have no escapement.
spring made of silicone?
More power reserve but at a compromise.
If anything goes wrong they will replace the whole movement.
In short go on the hunt on EBAY for the ETA 2824 equipped Hamiltons.

DON'T BELIEVE WHAT I WRITE, RESEARCH WHAT I WRITE...
The Powermatic 80/ H-series movements do not use a Silicium spring unless noted. I believe Certina is the only one using that mainspring within the entry level Swatch range right now. Silicon hairsprings last longer and do not drop tensile strength over time. Also they are anti-magnetic. If its good enough for a Rolex Mil Gauss its good enough from an entry level movement. The Powermatic 80 is simply an ETA 2800 series with a bigger mainspring barrel and a lower beat rate. The balance wheel uses adjustable counterweights instead of hairspring tension to maintain amplitude and regulation. It does have an escapement, in fact it is the same as any other previous ETA movement with identical pallet forks and lift angle. My Hamilton's with this movement regularly sit within COSC standards for regulation (I measure +2 to -1 with no beat error and a healthy 290 degree of amplitude on my Pilot Day Date). It is actually more accurate than my Glycine with the 2893. The new H-50 used in the new mechanicals are basically an H-10 with no auto winding mechanism (which lowers parasitic drag) and no date. My Khaki field mechanical gets +4 a day. It is an excellent movement and yes it is serviceable with the right tools. The only drawback is you can not regulate the balance while it is running in a timegrapher. It has to be stopped and then you adjust a screw that is on the wheel. Hamilton uses a laser alignment tool to specify the number of needed screw turns.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I got mine used on Ebay from a Japanese seller. $300 on a bracelet.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
The only drawback is you can not regulate the balance while it is running in a timegrapher. It has to be stopped and then you adjust a screw that is on the wheel. Hamilton uses a laser alignment tool to specify the number of needed screw turns.
Yeah... that's just way more risky and troublesome than it's worth. I would just count my losses and swap the movement or flip it. Hence why I won't buy one.

That said, most reports from owners suggest these come already well regulated out of the box and seem to stay that way so far. We'll see how well they hold up after a few more years.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts