WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a Khaki Field Mechanical (38 mm, no date, any color) that they wear on a two piece leather or canvas strap?

I've seen a lot of comments about the pin spacing being optimized for NATOs and looking funny on a two piece. Since I don't really care for NATOs I'm curious to see what any current owners think. I've been eyeing the PVD model hard but don't want to have to flip it for something as basic as pin spacing.

Please share pictures if you have them. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I’ve sold mine recently but did find that if you used ‘fat’ (2.5mm) springbars with a two-piece NATO style strap it did close the gap up very well giving a much better look to the watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,931 Posts
Does anyone have a Khaki Field Mechanical (38 mm, no date, any color) that they wear on a two piece leather or canvas strap?

I've seen a lot of comments about the pin spacing being optimized for NATOs and looking funny on a two piece. Since I don't really care for NATOs I'm curious to see what any current owners think. I've been eyeing the PVD model hard but don't want to have to flip it for something as basic as pin spacing.

Please share pictures if you have them. Thanks!
The gap shown when worn with a two piece strap made me get rid of the watch less then a day after receiving it. Some don't seem to mind it however for me it looks huge and bothered me way too much.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have mine on a two piece leather strap. The gap is rather larger than normal, but I got used to it. I found that the thickness of the strap can compensate for the gap, so I choose thicker padded straps for that watch.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have mine on a two-piece leather rally strap from Geckota. Maybe it is the large holes in the strap, but I don't mind the spacing gap between the strap and the watch case. IMG_1203.jpg IMG_1204.jpg IMG_1205.jpg

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thin strap

Padded thicc strap

The difference is subtle, but the padded strap does cut down the gap a bit.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The gap shown when worn with a two piece strap made me get rid of the watch less then a day after receiving it. Some don't seem to mind it however for me it looks huge and bothered me way too much.
HA, that is exactly what I'm trying to avoid doing! I'm pretty particular about seemingly small stuff like this (like I've been considering selling a PRS-1 because the color of the hands bugs me level of particular ... )

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thank you for the photos and the feedback folks. I still haven't decided so I'll be playing some my current watches and some calipers while I ponder further.

This does make me wish that more manufacturers would place two sets of holes in the lugs. I first saw that when I picked up an Anchor from Bernhardt and thought it was brilliant. It's one of those things that so simple and obvious once you finally see someone else do it first.

That said I'm pretty sure I'm not going to buy a brand new Hamilton and drill holes in it ...

·
Premium Member
3,333 Posts
I don't see much of a gap:

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
The air gap is a bit vexing, and it’s noticeable if you allow yourself to see it. I am not a fan of the 47mm lug-to-lug on this 38mm watch; honestly, if it were 37mm x 45mm it would be in my rotation more.

Here’s mine.

Compared with the Citizen (37mm x 43mm), you can see how long the lugs are.

I’m wearing it today. Here it is, as well as a mirror shot to demonstrate how it might look to others.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
51 Posts
This is why I really appreciate WUS. I was just about to pull the trigger on a Khaki Field Mechanical thinking that I could occasionally swap out the NATO with a Filson waxed canvas strap I’m not using but really love. And now... I won’t be pulling the trigger.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Pro tip.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Most of you would hate the Nomos Club!!!
I almost pulled the trigger on one a few years ago, but the lug-to-lug kept me away.

I think another contributing issue with the Hamilton is how close the lug holes are to the end of the lugs. I think if they were more inboard it wouldn’t be as much of an issue.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts