WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I just received a Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical watch with their H-50 manual wind movement. As you know, this is a modified ETA 2801-2 with a longer power reserve. I am having a problem that I hope you can help me with.

When received, I gave the watch a full wind until there was slight resistance on the crown. I have other manual wind watches and know how to wind them and when to stop. Along the way, every few winds, the crown would skip, meaning there would be a half wind where I could feel no gears turning and then the crown would spring back a quarter turn by itself. I would then continue to wind the watch several turns feeling the gears engaged again, before the skip would happen once more. These skips happened 4-5 times along the way until the crown had slight resistance and the watch was fully wound. The watch is still running this morning and I have not wound it since. This does not feel or sound right for a new watch, especially with a very good ETA movement.

Is this somehow normal for this watch? Or is there a problem and should be sent back?

Thank you very much!!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I have just purchased The Hamilton Boulton , this also has the H-50 movement, as this is my first mechanical for many many moons I have been extremely careful winding the movement.
I also have noticed that the crown skips back when winding the watch, I just thought it was a trait of this movement, but reading above posts it’s apparent it isn’t.
I only give the watch a maximum of 15 to 20 winds each morning and as mentioned am very cautious doing it .

How many crown rotations would a fully wound H-50 take

·
Premium Member
4,619 Posts
...the H-50 movement...the crown skips back when winding the watch, I just thought it was a trait of this movement...
Using Hamilton's Contact Us website, you could send them a quick email outlining your concern/situation. I have found them to be quite receptive and will forward your concern/ situation to your regional Swatch Group Service Center.

P.S. Let us know what their answer is to this situation.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I have just purchased The Hamilton Boulton , this also has the H-50 movement, as this is my first mechanical for many many moons I have been extremely careful winding the movement.
I also have noticed that the crown skips back when winding the watch, I just thought it was a trait of this movement, but reading above posts it’s apparent it isn’t.
I only give the watch a maximum of 15 to 20 winds each morning and as mentioned am very cautious doing it .

How many crown rotations would a fully wound H-50 take
I wind mine in the morning,twenty two turns ,fully wound.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very helpful and great advice all. Thank you very much! I have sent the watch back for an exchange. I will let you know how the new one is. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Very helpful and great advice all. Thank you very much! I have sent the watch back for an exchange. I will let you know how the new one is. Thank you!
I have been in touch with Hamilton UK via email, they replied very promptly saying they will forward my query to the service dept.
As it was late Friday evening I do not expect a reply back until next week hopefully.

I also contacted the AD where I purchased the watch, they are going to get in touch with
Hamilton on My behalf regarding the skip back issue or non issue I hope.

I will post any replies I receive.

STAY SAFE

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have been in touch with Hamilton UK via email, they replied very promptly saying they will forward my query to the service dept.
As it was late Friday evening I do not expect a reply back until next week hopefully.

I also contacted the AD where I purchased the watch, they are going to get in touch with
Hamilton on My behalf regarding the skip back issue or non issue I hope.

I will post any replies I receive.

STAY SAFE

Good luck brother, please do post what they say. I would really appreciate that, thank you! Hope it gets resolved for you quick so you can enjoy your watch!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi guys, so I received my replacement watch yesterday. I can now feel the gears engaged with every wind.

However the crown still springs back half a turn after each wind. This doesn't happen on my Speedmaster Pro with a manual movement, so I wonder if this is how the h-50 or eta 2801-2 works?

This is frustrating. Any thoughts? Thank you!!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I have not as yet heard back from Hamilton Service Dept regarding this issue or hopefully non issue.
My Boulton does this wind back of the crown also . Will send another email To Hamilton next week to ask again about this crown wind back .

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have not as yet heard back from Hamilton Service Dept regarding this issue or hopefully non issue.
My Boulton does this wind back of the crown also . Will send another email To Hamilton next week to ask again about this crown wind back .

Ok my friend, hope you get the information and get it serviced if need be, please keep me posted. I will also let you know if I find out anything else too. Fingers crossed for both of us!!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Okay , I received a reply from Hamilton Service Department, regarding the crown slip back issue , cannot say they have answered my questions fully .

Further to your email, concerning your Hamilton watch, I have enquired with our Hamilton Technical Team and can confirm that this is normal for a movement of this type. The crown operating in this way is to confirm the watch is fully wound.

I trust the above is of some support to you and If you have any additional queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards

Darren

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay , I received a reply from Hamilton Service Department, regarding the crown slip back issue , cannot say they have answered my questions fully .

Further to your email, concerning your Hamilton watch, I have enquired with our Hamilton Technical Team and can confirm that this is normal for a movement of this type. The crown operating in this way is to confirm the watch is fully wound.

I trust the above is of some support to you and If you have any additional queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards

Darren

Wow that made no sense. Doesn't it spring back after every wind? Seems they didn't understand the issue. Did they give you a number that you could call to discuss? Thanks brother!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi guys, so I received my replacement watch yesterday. I can now feel the gears engaged with every wind.

However the crown still springs back half a turn after each wind. This doesn't happen on my Speedmaster Pro with a manual movement, so I wonder if this is how the h-50 or eta 2801-2 works?

This is frustrating. Any thoughts? Thank you!!
Hi, It is completly normal to have this back crown movement during each wind. I have Hamilton Khaki Pilot Pioneer Mechanical and it is winding like this. You can even observe this back movement of the crown on some youtube videos when presenter is winding mechanical Khaki.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi, It is completly normal to have this back crown movement during each wind. I have Hamilton Khaki Pilot Pioneer Mechanical and it is winding like this. You can even observe this back movement of the crown on some youtube videos when presenter is winding mechanical Khaki.

That is very good to know krupa, thank you VERY much for commenting. It was driving me nuts that I may have to send the watch back again. Thank you brother!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Oh, god bless you guys! I just received yesterday my khaki field as well and loved it but as soon as I started winding it I felt exactly the same, the only hand-wound watches I had before were an old 80's pair of Raketa's and they did not feel like that at all.

So if this slip-back behavior is normal I don't think I need to send it back then 😅

Wondering if that's how the H50 in particular feels/behaves or if that's also the case for ETA-2801 which is its base? :unsure:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just out of curiosity; I'm waiting for this watch in the mail, and would like to see a video wherein they show us the winding action. Most YouTubers just focus on the dial and telling you about the "heritage". Which is fine and all, but coming from the world of Seiko, where every little detail about every movement is studied with great care; I'm having a hard time trying to find resources about the Hamilton movements.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts