WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a Khaki King, and noticed that when I forget to keep it wound - and it stops - it takes a LOT of spinning of the rotor to get it fully wound again. I've had one other automatic, and it only took about 10-15 seconds of spinning the rotor for it to fully wind. The Hamilton takes a good minute of constantly spinning the rotor. If I only spin it for 10-15 seconds, it pretty much instantly stops ticking. Is this normal?

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
I've never heard of a watch that can self wind in 10-15 seconds of spinning it. That's extremely unlikely. Sounds to me like the Hamilton is winding normally. You should hand wind it after it stops, anyway, to give it a good charge and your normal hand motion will keep it wound from there.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! It's been finicky (losing -45 seconds per day), so I was hoping this wasn't a sign of something worse. Glad to hear it's normal.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
Just for research, I pulled out a watch of mine with an ETA 2897 automatic movement and power reserve display and checked it to see how long it takes to power up the movement by 'swirling' the watch. According to the power reserve meter (which displays in hours on this particular watch), 30 seconds of swirling the watch produced between 1-2 hours of charge out of a possible 40. It's not scientific, but I just wanted to show you that it's impossible to fully charge up a watch by swirling it for 10-15 seconds (what you were doing in the past was giving it just enough charge to get the movement started). In comparison, 26 twists of the crown gave my watch a 50% (20 hour) charge.

BTW, it isn't normal for your watch to be losing 45 seconds per day. Usually they run slightly fast, but anything outside of +- 15 seconds should be regulated if you're a stickler for accuracy. If it's a new watch, and under warranty, talk to the dealer about it. It's easy to get it working more accurately. If it hasn't been fully wound, that might be part of the problem, too. Make sure you fully hand wind it and then see how it works compared to before.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry for the late reply on this - but thanks Brent! I wasn't even aware that I could hand wind it, but will definitely try it next time it stops. As for the accuracy, it has gone down a bit - I'm gaining about 25 seconds now. I'm not a huge stickler for accuracy so I wont bother getting it regulated.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
There is a "break-in" period. Which generally runs about 30 days. So it may settle into something more accurate anyway. But since I almost never wear the same watch two days in a row, and am used to setting things every time I pick them up, you might want to ignore me on the accuracy issue.

You might, however, read this post that someone pointed me to recently, just as a precaution.

https://www.watchuseek.com/f2/number-crown-turns-required-fully-wind-new-2824-2-a-808693.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts