WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
I recently bought nice and working Kienzel Selecta pocket watch and I am searching for as much information I can get on this model.
It's quite sleek and light, "ladies" pocket watch, I think maybe from the 50s, but would love to find out more about these.
No markings at all on the back, just bland steel.
1620838360961.png

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
19,170 Posts
Welcome to Watchuseek. Your watch looks rather "Bauhaus" and is almost certainly post WWII. Kienzle were mass makers of affordable pin lever watches with in house movements but they did have some higher class Swiss lever watches with externally sourced movements. This looks a little like it could be one (17 jewels, shockproof) but to confirm that, we would need to see the movement.

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yes, I don't really know how to open the back to be able to see the movement.
It was purchased from a watchmaker, so it is not some rare find and I don't think it's something extra valuable - then it would be a different price for sure. But it works great and is in perfect condition, apart of a small scratch on the glass.
They didn't have much information on it as well though, just told me the movement is Swiss made. So I was hoping to be able to get maybe some better guess about the age here :)
There are tiny words "MADE IN GERMANY" down by number 6, if that would be of any help.
Edit: the rotor winds in both directions, but only powers the watches in one of them.
Also, the hands are luminescent (still slightly works, so it's modern luminescent material, not the radioactive one).

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
19,170 Posts
Oh, so it has an atuomatic movement? And it's Swiss?! Then it will almost definitely have a higher quality Swiss lever movement. If it only winds in one direction (but rotates in two), it should have an Adolf Schild movement - Felsa and ETA only had bidirectionally winding movements.

Any chance of piccies of the back? If there are numbers engraved on the case back, it might get us further.

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I was able to take a picture of the movement.
The back case on the outside is completely smooth, on the inside there is a tiny inscription "made in Germany"

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Hi, nice watch, but this is not an automatic watch and there is no rotor anywhere. When you say 'the rotor winds in both directions, but only powers the watches in one of them' do you mean the crown can be turned in both directions and winds up the watch when turned clock wise and just 'clicks' when it's turned the other way?

Looks like a Kienzle 058b15 wrist watch movement put in a larger case (no, it is a 058b15 as marked on the dial). It is also not Swiss but made by Kienzle Germany. What kind of a watchmaker was this you got it from? When they say the movement is Swiss, then they must have opened the watch, and when they had the watch open, a watchmaker before the evenings 'pivo' (beer) would not call it Swiss.

1960s I would say. Enjoy it if it runs well. If you want to wear it regularly, the watch should get a service (where they know what they are doing) which wouldn't be too expensive for such a simple and often produced movement.

The first watch I ever got as a child was a larger Kienzle pocket watch, also from the 1960s. It runs forever.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts