WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the story on these?
A German/Italian/Asian type thing?
They actually have some nice looking watches.
I really miss that list of German manufacturersO|

S

·
0 Posts
Well, to be honest Kienzle should be listed on
a) the Italian list
b) The Hongkong list.

Here´s the story (short):
In 1897 Jacob Kienzle became owner of a watch factory founded 1822 at Schwenningen/Black Forest, Up to the beginning of WW I Kienzle produced about 6.000.000 clocks and watches. Schwenningen, al little town, became famous and world wide known for watches. In 1997 Kienzle died
1997 endete die Schwenninger Ära der Firma Kienzle, the production facilities had been taken over Highway Holdings, Hongkong übernommmen. Since then Kienzle quartz watches are produced in China (brand name: Kienzle 1822).

Don´t mess up with Kiezle watches from Italy. From 1984 on the
SIOK (Societa Italiana Orologi Kienzle) produced mechanical (with swiss movements) and fashion watches - www.kienzle.it. Currently you´ll find only Kienzle1822 products on their homepage.

There´s another Kienzle (www.kienzle.de) still production car eletronic parts.

Kienzle: A "germasian" story though.

·
Registered
224 Posts
What a shame!

I have a realy nice vintage Kienzle...and this one as well! :)

Cheers

Matt

·
Registered
458 Posts
meenyc said:
Few years back, I used to have this vintage from 70's. Very nice...
Dear Tragic,

I agree with all: the modern Kienzles have jumped the German-craze Bandwagon, the vintage Kienzles are very nice indeed.

They are available in great numbers on Ebay.de. You'll find an international seller that also speaks English quite easily.
If not: just write me or Mike and we can help with translations.

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
18,440 Posts
meenyc said:
Few years back, I used to have this vintage from 70's. Very nice...

That looks like a Ruhla movement (calibre 24-31), not to mention a Ruhla case and bezel. I suspect that in the 1970s/80s VEB Ruhla (DDR) was manufacturing complete watches (OEM) for Kienzle. Which is not to say that all Kienzles of that era were actually by Ruhla (far from it in fact), but certainly if you look for Kienzle on ebay, you will turn up a lot of Ruhlas in the mix.

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
18,315 Posts
Kienzle were noted for making cheap, pin-pallet movement watches - the sort of thing that went out with the quartz watch. Nevertheless, they made their own movements so they were technically a "manufacture", although they also made some high-quality watches with swiss ETA or other movements - I have one with an FHF Cal. 96. They were cheap and cheerful but did have a lot of character.

In a recent edition of the German watch magazine "Chronos", there was a detailed article on Kienzle and their history, stating that they have recently returned to German ownership. I would imagine that they will be using swiss movements, though.

Hartmut Richter

S

·
0 Posts
Hartmut Richter said:
In a recent edition of the German watch magazine "Chronos", there was a detailed article on Kienzle and their history, stating that they have recently returned to German ownership. I would imagine that they will be using swiss movements, though.

Hartmut Richter
OK, according to "Chronos" Kienzle returned to German ownership in fall 2005 but the owner wasn´t mentioned by "Chronos", right ?!?.

It seems that Kienzle is still owned by Highway Holdings Ltd HK (see their own description on www.kienzle-ag.de ):

It´s obvious that Kienzle Time (responsible for development and production) is still located in China.

The sales and distribution division is located at Hamburg:

Kienzle AG
Kanalstraße 42a
22085 Hamburg
Tel.: +49 (0) 40 271 523 0
Fax: +49 (0) 40 271 523 23

E-Mail: [email protected]

Whole website is under construction....no watches though but I doubt there will be a lots of Kienzle watches with swiss made movements in the time to come.

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
18,315 Posts
Yes, that's true - although the owners are now German, the production may well be kept in the far east. Particularly since the Chinese are close to producing alternative calibres to the ETA 2892 and 2894 with exactly the same dimensions, just in case the SWATCH group really does restrict movement accessibility to makers inside the group.

Hartmut Richter

1 - 9 of 9 Posts