WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Kirovskie Type-1 pocket watch conversion

901 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Brblesh 
#1 ·
I see a lot of K43 pocket watch conversions, and was wondering what the story behind them was. Maybe my question will sound a bit stupid, but was it like a trend at that time, that people at first bought them as pocket watches, but then converted them to wristwatches to be more practical? Where some of them converted in factory, or was it done much later?

#2 ·
the ‘trend’ started during the war times when people realized that having a pocket watch in combat is not that convenient. Plus there was a lot of pocket watches available while the wrist watches were not yet made in big quantities. So watchemakers were soldering wire lugs as well as factories were adding a bit better made lugs. You can tell them apart but the sophistication of the lugs: simple wire was a watchmaker job.

#3 ·
Thank you, that was fast :)
Yes i noticed that some have the same lugs like the factory wristwatches (non-converted), that is actually what made me wonder. So that means that those models where indeed converted in the factory.
History like that is what makes Soviet watches even more interesting.

#6 ·
Thank you everyone for the replies.

Btw, if i can ask here, i know that some watches were missing factory stamps during war years, but i have also found some models without year stamps, was that also common or is it something fishy?
I can post some pics of those when i find them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.