5,530 Posts
Nice, any more info on this?

Why is it double signed?

Matt

Brought to you by HYPNOTOAD

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I've been to Klaipeda a few years ago.. I wish I'd known about it's existance :(
BTW - a strange city - a big post-communist city with an 'ocean' of Soviet ear buildings surrounding a small and cute old town, easy to miss unless you know it's there ;)
Thanks!

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No idea about that Arsa Omega :/ The staff has zero info about anything... Maybe contacting director would help I do not know, I sadly live in the other side of the country. They do not answer emails...

That's Soviet style for sure - crap everything in the sight up...

The 'ocean' is just a sea, Baltic sea. You should have also visited the Curonian spit, a Lithuanian treasure of nature, dunes and sea :)

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Laikrodžiai is a plural form of Laikrodis. Laikrodukas is a diminutive form of it :)
Laik - Time
Rodis - Shower
A thing that shows time :)

We do not have separate words like watch and clock. They are all TimeShowers :D

--------------

Did not get any info about the chrono as they ignore my emails bloody Soviet relics :|

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
Hi
It looks a good Museum, nicely laid out with descriptions and graphics, exactly as a Museum should.

Tower clock movements, running are fantastic, and so important to show how a timepiece works!

I am glad you visited and shared the photos, you once posted here that "you would not visit a Museum unless every watch, clock was 'tick-tock'"

I love Museums for what I can see and learn, and if items are operational that is a bonus!

Good to you
A

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I do not remember if I said I would not visit at all but for sure those non tcking ones is a sad view for me :)
I was really surprised with this museum, I was expecting just some russian crap and maybe several swiss...
Some years ago there was some kind of "donate your watches to museum" fiest
Surprisingly they collected many items and said that those did not hit the screens yet :O

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
What I've read about earliest water content time measuring tools they had some issues about consistency.

They were being used in a senate kind of gathering to determine each speakers allotted time. A container with water having a hole at bottom was dropping water until a certain level,then it's the next speakers turn. They had even distances between water levels, but found out that when water is at higher levels the dropping from the hole is faster due to the pressure of water to the bottom of the container and the hole itself.
Then when water level is low the drops are slower. So the people who spoke at the end, had longer 5 minutes.Really we take everything granted, but mankind struggled really hard to measure passing time. Now it's as easy as looking at your wrist.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts