WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the weekend is finally here (well...almost) and Hilltopper and I will be joining our Dad in Pittsburgh this weekend to help him pick out a new watch....a KOBOLD!!!!.

Will try to update with pictures and information whenI get home Saturday evening. For those yet to play, remember, next round of Kobold karma is on the boards...win buy being the first to guess what our Dad will purchase this weekend.

Also, most importantly. Plan on leaving the SOA on the leather, but what band/bracelet do you guys vote for for the Darth to don while visiting the land of Steel this weekend?

Options: Leather band, zulus (grey, olive, tan, or black) or the bracelet?

Hmmm, decisions...

·
Registered
265 Posts
Easy One . . . A black zulu.

Maratac zulus from countrycom. Never leave home without 'em.

Regards From Colorado,

Tony

·
Registered
17,513 Posts
Make sure your trip is well documented with photo's for the forum....

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Jeff -

You n Hilltopper have fun. I can't be part of the guessing game because I believe your bro PM'd me about a certain Kobold I possess - Sooooooooooooo......I have no idea but whatever y'all choose will be sweet.

And yes, DO take pix. and share.

Drive safely. There are lunatics on the road :-| especially on the interstates on the weekends.

·
Banned
675 Posts
i'll chime in and guess my go to watch--the jet black soarway diver--a classic IMHO
have a safe trip
john

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A shot goofing off on the road (what was that about driving safe?) and "Prepping" the hotel room.

Off to the airport to pick up the fam.

Oh, and gull...you are more than welcome to make a guess as I think that question from my brother was for him more than my Dad.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Jeff,

been following this thread with interest.
I think it's great that you can do this with your Dad and brother.
My brothers and Dad aren't into large watches so no joy. I have to admit to being a little jealous. So post plenty of pics, I'm living vicariously through you!
Cheers, and have a great time in Steel City.

Jeff

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A few more from Hilltopper and My hotel room here in the Steel city. First, a taste of the family collection brought into town, one of Dad and the Topper looking at Kobold photos, and a couple of topper and I after a few visits to see Mr. Mark.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
many more details and pictures to follow, but wow, what an amazing day!!!!! Success, success, success.......This company is amazing folks!!!!!!

Watch(es?) purchased, new band for the Darth, and a freshly reset bezel to boot. All smooth around the edges now.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I still can't get over your Darth Seal, it is a stunner!

Thank you for sharing your story and pictures with all of us. I suspect there are many guys out there like Jeff (lichmd) and myself who would like to have an experience like your with our family.

Back to the Darth, it looks bad @ss on that black zulu!

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Yeah Kev - I'd like to see that Darth SEAL on a Kobold version of the Doxa Bund band.

Speaking of black leather Kobold straps ... Could someone post a picture or two from different angles of your Kobold on the Kobold Explorer strap???
Many :thanks

·
Registered
17,513 Posts
Old shots from my 1st SS... Need to repost some SMG-1 with Explorer strap...

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What is that....you said??? The Darth on a black leather band?? And Jeff was in Pittsburgh today???? Pictures to come

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, I am still getting the literally hundreds of pictures sorted through and and resized so I can pos them, but I wanted to give a verbal (well, typed) account of the weekend. I am sure that Hilltopper will have his thoughts to add in after getting caught up as well.

Friday I drove up from Virginia and Dad and Bro flew in from Ky. After a delayed flight and a great midnight dinner at Steak and Shake, we headed back to the room for a few glasses of bourbon and we sat with Dad and he looked over the shots that I collected from all of you (thanks) the last few weeks. later, Hilltopper and I had a few more drinks and enjoyed some brotherly time as we goofed off with the Kobolds we own.

Saturday morning we went down to Henne's and wow, that is a must stop for any watch fan, Kobold or not. Chad was phenominal, knowledgeable, and felt like he would have given us all day if we asked. Great collections, Omega, Rolex, Glasichutte (sp?), and of course, a case full of Kobold. We tried them all on, of course Hilltopper enjoyed the Seals, I got to try out the Phantoms and Soarways, and Dad liked the Phantoms, Polars, and Soarways himself.

Word got out about our little trip and I am humbled to say that Dan from Kobold heard and was kind enough to invite us in to the shop. After Henne's, we met a fellow WUS'er Vince and had lunch and talked a little more on watches. Great guy, amazing the people you will meet from a little interest in watches. After lunch he was nice enough to lead us over to the Kobold office where we spent the rest of our day.

to be cont.....

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Upon arriving at Kobold, Dan showed us the museum up front. I won't give away all the secrets, but Kev's watch was there, as well as a few great stories (one story was so good, the guy had asked them to repair the watch and they sent him a new one instead so they could keep the watch for the museum) and a few Also seen on TV.

Around Mike's desk were some amazing photos. The watch shop clean room was a sight to behold. All of your LSD's on their way out tomorrow were there going through their 1000 hours testing and a few familiar names were seen. Then the real fun started as Dan brought out the collection to show Dad the family. Wow...Wow...Wow....I think each and every one of us wished we had about 20k to spend on watches at that moment. AGain, we tried on Seals, Polar Surveyors, Soarways, phantoms, LSDs. There was SS, there was Ti, there was 18k, PVD, polished, etc...

Dan was most gracious and quite a watch fan. You could see the passion he has for all watches, not just Kobold. We were all most impressed that here as humble and fairly new to real watch collecting as we 3 were, Dan really sought out our input; from what drew us to Kobold, to our thoughts on the LSD with or without a date, etc.. I had pointed out the uneven bezel on my Seal to Dan and without my even realizing it, he picked my watch up off the table and handed it to Ed, happy to say, she is all fixed up now.

We had a blast trying on the collection as well as some one of a kinds. THen it was time to get down to business. After weighing all the options Dad kind of built himself a watch, a one of a kind.

The Watch:::: Shipping hopefully Tuesday will be a Stainless Steal body and movement, based on the Phantom. Day, Date, Chronograph. It will have an artic blue dial and polished stainless hands. The Bezel will be a Doctor's Pulsometer bezel in polished Stainless, with a stainless body and stainless bracelet. This watch will be gorgeous. I will post pictures as soon as he gets it and sends them to me. Also included will be a tan crocodile strap and zulu (I think in black)

However, after a full day of seeing watches and being so swept away by both Chad and Dan, I think Dad had to have something new on his wrist, he also picked up a Spirit of America, with a black face, and on a black calfskin strap. It looks great, there is already a picture up in the family karma thread, more to come.

I also picked up a black calfskin for the Seal to wear over the winter. Looks great, very thick and comfortable strap. Dan included upgrade to a PVD buckle at no cost.

Our day at Kobold ended by us watching Ed switch in Dad's black face on the SOA and install the strap, so we got to see that very cool process. Ed was hard at work in the clean room for most of our visit, but I get to spend about 10 minutes with him towards the end and he was just as passionate and entertaining to talk to. He even remember taking my bracelet order for my SOA some 8 months ago, as he recalled "we talked about my Phantom didn't we?"

I left Dan with a CD of the photos from our group and he genuinely seemed taken aback and appreciative. He said he could not wait to look at them. He even commented to Ed he might make it the screen save on Mike's computer for when he got back into town. Maybe someone's photos will turn up on the website :) We then posed the three of us, Dan and Ed infront of the museum case and shook hands. Great Great Day. We felt honored by the invite and I can honestly say that despite how well or bad you think of any of their watches based on photos...No photo of any of these watches do them justice, the collection is simply breathtaking to see in person. Despite staring at the watches for 3 hours, I think we all took one last look before we walked out the door.

We ended the night with a celebratory cigar, beer, and great steak at Hyde Park Steakhouse....all wearing out Spirit of Americas

·
Registered
17,513 Posts
All in all, it sounded like an amazing trip around Pittsburgh. Hate to ask, but did you do any non watch related site seeing? The two times I was there, I did absolutley zero non WIS touring, which was fine by me.

Now just waiting for the pictures...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts