WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My last post got me wondering...

Anyone else initially find or become attracted to Kobold because of their Pittsburgh roots? I know some ‘yinz are still in the ‘burgh but anyone find Kobold or become interested in the watches because they wanted a piece of the Steel City on their wrist? (I know the design and quality keeps you coming back of course)

I did not grow up there, but went to school in the ‘burgh (same school as MK) so like having that tie to the town. Additionally, it is a great conversation piece about the unique watch company and its home town.

Since Western PA loses more population due to migrations than any other region in the country I suspect there are others out there.

Let me know.

Happy Holidays.

:)

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
If it counts, part of my attraction is the American thing, moreso than simply a Pittsburgh thing. I like to support American Entrepreneurs and know that Mike frequently gives back to this country.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Yin's guys goin' daaaan Eat-n-Park get some eggs an nat? :)

Yup, I used to run the sweeper and worsh my car in the burgh, actually a bit north of Pittsburgh in Butler. Living in Reading PA now and dare I say that my SOA puchase was based 50% on the fact that Kobold is a local Pittsburgh company. Go Mikey! No one has to pull my arm to jump at the chance to re-invest my hard earned cash in that great little city and come out wearing a cool a$$ watch!

Hope to move back there soon..... :) Got a hankerin' for a Primanti's turkey and swiss with lots of hot sauce!!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've never been to Burgh (I am from Puerto Rico) but I still love the brand for the fact that it is a exclusive brand that not everybody has, still everybody that sees any of mine ask about them and almost always want to buy them from me.

·
Registered
9,651 Posts
hi -

No Kobold to my name, but that Pittsburghese brings back memories: I spent 14 years there, growing up. Lived for a while across from Schenley High School, but went to Frick, Falk and then on to Pittsburgh Academy. Went then to Duquesne.

Spent a LOT of time in Shadyside, Squirrel Hill and East Liberty (Sliberty!), hung at the Rhino with the House Rockers (Joe Lives!) and ate way too much at the Dirty O...

JohnF

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea, you haven't lived unless you were upstairs at the "O" after 2 AM with a big bucket of fries and pizza.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am a life long Pittsburgh. Absolutely proud of that fact. I have a Seal stainless and a beautiful Spirit of America. Having Pittsburgh engraved on the watch absolutely blew me away. Go Panthers.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yinz are all jagoffs. I've been out for 26 years, but try to get back at least twice a year. Our first house was on Post Street in Lawrenceville, near St. Francis Hospital.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Grew up in and around the 'burgh and graduated from Pitt. Left the 'burgh in 1971. I haven't been back for about eight years, but it's something I need to do soon. I've lived in several different regions of the country, but never anywhere that had the character and individuality of Pittsburgh.

·
Banned
3,758 Posts
I am probably Kobold's closest customer, since I could walk over there in about 10 minutes, and consequently have owned five of his watches. Well being close by is not the only reason I have own them; they are my style. I am not a native Burgher but have been here about nine years. Here is my only Kobold at this time but for me it's the ultimate of them. PVD Titanium Phantom with non-locking pushers.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Man Vince, I like it on that Black Sharkie....... very Fin-e.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I am probably Kobold's closest customer, since I could walk over there in about 10 minutes, and consequently have owned five of his watches. Well being close by is not the only reason I have own them; they are my style. I am not a native Burgher but have been here about nine years. Here is my only Kobold at this time but for me it's the ultimate of them. PVD Titanium Phantom with non-locking pushers.

Is that a standard option for the Phantom or did you have to pay extra. I really like it !

·
Registered
7,899 Posts
Vince-- just gorgeous, and I love the non-locking pushers. Locking pushers have kept me away from all of the newer Doxa chronos. I like the flatter profile too and yes, the black sharskin is just awesome! :p

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I am probably Kobold's closest customer, since I could walk over there in about 10 minutes, and consequently have owned
Non Screw down pushers? Cool! :-! Also it looks like your Phantom is powder coated (bead blasted) then PVD'd? Is it. Thanks, Troy

·
Banned
3,758 Posts
Non Screw down pushers? Cool! :-! Also it looks like your Phantom is powder coated (bead blasted) then PVD'd? Is it. Thanks, Troy
I am not sure if it was bead blasted prior to PVD coating but probably. I had a stainless steel pvd Phantom before this one and it was a little bit glossier of a finish than this one; I like this Ti Phantom much more than the SS model.

Stainless

Titanium

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Love the Phantom Vince! The 'duller' Ti PVD Phantom would be my finish preference, although I also prefer the heavier weight of SS. Of the 4 strap/bracelet options pictured above, I like the Zulu and the bracelet. The shot of your Phantom on the Zulu, looks vintage to me. Perhaps it is the warm lighting, but it looks like a 20 year old T-dial military watch. It looks really tough! Please, more pics soon!

:p

Kev.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Vince, I don't see your PVD titanium Phantom with non-screw down pushers anywhere on Kobold's website. :think: When did you purchase it :-s

·
Banned
3,758 Posts
Vince, I don't see your PVD titanium Phantom with non-screw down pushers anywhere on Kobold's website. :think: When did you purchase it :-s
I asked them if they would do it for me about six months ago and after a while they came back and said they had a case and could do it. I agreed to the price and had the watch a couple of weeks later. It was never a "catalog item". They are very good to me. If you really like it call them and ask if they have the parts available to make one for you. I really think it may have been a matter of calling at the right time to have the availability of the case. I think I just got lucky. I also asked about a couple of other configurations that they said they could not do or would have been a lot more expensive.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts