• Kobold Large Soarway Diver

Votes: 41 36.3%
  • Sinn U2 S

Votes: 72 63.7%
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
The LSD is not only my favorite Kobold, it's the only Kobold I have thought about purchasing. No losers here but the big dial of the LSD and great dial to bezel proportions raise it a notch above the other Kobolds IMHO. Further, I really like the ultra clean dial design which is quite unlike anything else out there (at least that I know about). While it may not be the most functional, it certainly is beautiful. However, the Sinn has great bezel to dial proportions as well, tracks a second time-zone, has at least average if not better lume, a good bracelet option, and has a nearly scratch proof case.

In the end, it would be the LSD although I admit to it being a purely emotional and somewhat irrational decision. Sort of like my Radiomir but without the benefit of a good resale value if purchased new ;-)

·
Registered
17,513 Posts
I've had Kobold. also I flipped every one of them. poor lume and a bracelet that doesn't make sense as far as the endlinks go. I own Sinns. the u2 is a tough watch. after seeing timothy patrick beat one for years, thats enough for me to know it will function from the coldest to the hottest and deepest enviroments.

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Sinn....I just like the looks of it better.

friends here are helping me locate a Kobold, but not the LSD.

Liz's always look amazing to me, but I'd take the Sinn.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
I voted Sinn, I like the overall package much better; looks, depth rating, tg steel etc. :-!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Wow - this is an interesting comparison - as I have both (have a U2 PVD incoming).

These are dramatically different watches to me - especially with the GMT function in the U2. If you need that, the decision is clear.

Otherwise, I go LSD. The design is elegant - clean lines, clean dial and very comfortable to wear. 24mm lug with opens up many straps, but to me must comfortable on a zulu. The LSD is limited, U2 is not.

So assuming no GMT need, I vote LSD.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
There's no arguing with the technology and bang-for-buck aspect of the U2, but past QC issues regarding the GMT function, as well as QC issues with the U1 leave me a bit wary. Couple this with the fact that the U2 has to go back to Sinn in Germany for any/all servicing issues and I'm tempted to pass on them altogether.

Ultimately, the LSD wins my vote, if for no other reason than I much prefer its aesthetics -- the U2's dial and red accents are way too busy for a dive watch, IMO -- and I know that if I have any issues with it, Kobold is but a phone call away (and barring that, any half-way competent watchmaker can fix what ails it).

Regards,
Adam

·
Registered
188 Posts
U2 S in a heartbeat. My deposit is in for one and yes, the U2 S is sold out. I cannot justify paying 1K+ more for the Kobold. I believe and always will believe that Kobold is overpriced (there nice watches but not $4250.00+ nice), which led me to purchasing a few UTS PVD watches instead. The U2 S has a lot more going for it, especailly the fine tegimented pvd finish, which is second to none. By the way, the red markings are for quick glance day time mission oriented notations. Besides being a serious diving watch, the U2 S is made for serious field use too. Out.

·
Registered
816 Posts
By the way, the red markings are for quick glance day time mission oriented notations. Besides being a serious diving watch, the U2 S is made for serious field use too. Out.
wow, i was living the dream for a minute there.

of the 2 i prefer the kobold lsd.

·
Registered
188 Posts
wow, i was living the dream for a minute there.

of the 2 i prefer the kobold lsd.
Yes, unless you are tabbed out, you are living the dream.:-!

·
Registered
17,513 Posts
I don't buy into issues with u1's and u2's. the only issue was a very rare alignment of the gmt hand which was corrected. if there are other documented issues I'd like you to point to those posts and show me. not one issue as that isn't enough to even post it up. I really detest qc issues with no facts being posted when doing a comparison between 2 different watches.Sinn watches are some of the very best in the world. also the service issue is moot as rgm can now do the argon gas replacement. so check these things out before posting them. there are plenty of watches made today that require special service needs and thats not even an issue when buying a watch that won't even see a service for at least 5 years and really, who here who has 20 or more watches hangs on to them for more than 2 years anyways?

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Jeeze Yamahaki, you're smart enough to use the search function, right? Even so, I would've assumed that you've been around here long enough to have lived through the rusting bezels, poorly applied lume, dust under the crystals, chipping bezel paint, accuracy issues, misaligned GMT hands (quite a few were thusly afflicted), et al. I suppose if I could "pony up" for all the watches you do, that QC wouldn't be such an issue for me, but sadly my financial situation requires a bit more circumspection with respect to my watch purchases. And you know something, I can't think of a single issue with any Kobolds. :think:

Anyway, I was posting my reasons for not wanting a U2 over an LSD. If you prefer the U2, bully for you. Lay out your reasons for feeling as such, and tally off your vote. Calling me out for my completely legitimate reasons for not drinking the Sinn-ade really adds nothing to this thread.

Regards,
Adam

·
Registered
17,513 Posts
Jeeze Yamahaki, you're smart enough to use the search function, right? Even so, I would've assumed that you've been around here long enough to have lived through the rusting bezels, poorly applied lume, dust under the crystals, chipping bezel paint, accuracy issues, misaligned GMT hands (quite a few were thusly afflicted), et al. I suppose if I could "pony up" for all the watches you do, that QC wouldn't be such an issue for me, but sadly my financial situation requires a bit more circumspection with respect to my watch purchases. And you know something, I can't think of a single issue with any Kobolds. :think:

Anyway, I was posting my reasons for not wanting a U2 over an LSD. If you prefer the U2, bully for you. Lay out your reasons for feeling as such, and tally off your vote. Calling me out for my completely legitimate reasons for not drinking the Sinn-ade really adds nothing to this thread.

Regards,
Adam

heres your kobold issue. no lume. I don't spend 4k on a diver and make up excuses why my diver really sucks in the lume department. I asked you to link up the posts of those issues. you didn't. I however was here on this forum when those issues were discussed. a very small batch of watches. thats it. most complaints wern't really complaints at all. just some members with nothing better to do than say somethings wrong with my watch but don't post a picture to prove it. if you need to add anything else, fine. lets take it to pm, and follow the rules.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I voted Sinn. I have a U2, and love it. Great watch, really well engineered and put together. And I love the styling. It's big, bold and distinctive without being over the top. It wears really nicely for its size. It's not cheap, but feels like it's worth every penny.

I've never owned a Kobald, so I can't comment on more than the price and styling. They seem like great watches, but the pricing strikes me as a little nuts. I can see paying that much if you really love it, I guess, but the price alone was enough to make me take another look at them and decide that I didn't really think they were that special. It's unfortunate, but the pricing decision changed the way I saw the company. Rather than seeing them as a company setting out to build the best watches, I came to see them as a company trying to build a lucrative brand with celebrity customers, lots of limited production lines driving up prices, etc. Nothing wrong with that, but not what I'm looking for.

The styling is obviously a matter of personal taste, but I don't like the giant lugs. These make the watches look and wear even bigger than they are. I much prefer the lugs on the Sinns, which taper nicely from the watch case. I think this makes for a more balanced overall appearance.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
voted SINN mostly because of looks and the technology. also seems a better value for what you're getting as others have pointed out.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
heres your kobold issue. no lume. I don't spend 4k on a diver and make up excuses why my diver really sucks in the lume department. I asked you to link up the posts of those issues. you didn't. I however was here on this forum when those issues were discussed. a very small batch of watches. thats it. most complaints wern't really complaints at all. just some members with nothing better to do than say somethings wrong with my watch but don't post a picture to prove it. if you need to add anything else, fine. lets take it to pm, and follow the rules.
https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=129649&highlight=Sinn+quality+control

https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=84251&highlight=Sinn+quality+control

https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=31284&highlight=Sinn+quality+control

https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=41579&highlight=Sinn+quality+control

https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=36684&highlight=Sinn+quality+control

https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=28566&highlight=Sinn+quality+control (this is for a 656, but still...)

https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=30558&highlight=Sinn+rust

https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=44389&highlight=Sinn+rust (Interesting thread... The poll says it's (U2) great, yet there are more folks with issues posting than I would like to see...)

There are more, but I figure you get the point. Now I'm not saying that the U2 is a lemon, or that anyone who buys one is an idiot, but regardless of what you think of Kobold's lume (which isn't a QC issue), you're not going to find pages upon pages of threads started by folks who are having problems with them.

Anyhoo, I'm actually a fan of Sinn, and if I had the bones to throw down for a U1000 PVD, well it would already be spending time on my wrist. But, as far as this thread is concerned, if I had to choose between a U2 S or an LSD, I'd go for the LSD.

Is this okay with you, Mr. Ex-Mod? :roll:

Regards,
Adam

·
Registered
17,513 Posts
mr. xmod? best non come back on the planet.:-d those are from 2006, one with a piece of lint? most about the ar that smudges? and the 1st gmt problem that was solved. I look at the sinns now. I have plenty of them. so I do prefer sinns over the kobolds. I'm so happy you took the time to look up those posts. I am now content.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts