WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like the pics of this watch! I have a Sinn U1 and would like to know how it looks in comparison. Are the hands longer and wider on the LSD? Is the legibility the same? I am also considering a Pam 005 or 111, I've never seen a Pam either,but I'm going to Dallas in a few days and hope to see one! I like the domed look of the LSD, and the lack of minute markers.I've been told this will be my last watch for a long time and want to make the right choice! Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I really like the pics of this watch! I have a Sinn U1 and would like to know how it looks in comparison. Are the hands longer and wider on the LSD? Is the legibility the same? I am also considering a Pam 005 or 111, I've never seen a Pam either,but I'm going to Dallas in a few days and hope to see one! I like the domed look of the LSD, and the lack of minute markers.I've been told this will be my last watch for a long time and want to make the right choice! Thanks for the help!
If you like the pics, don't hesistate! I got a chance to see the LSD in person a couple of weeks ago and it was bloody gorgeous! I was wearing my Panerai 112, and I have to say I might have traded it on the spot if the Panerai was not a sentimental gift. I don't want to compare the two watches spec. to spec. but the LSD is MUCH nicer in person than the photos I've seen. You can't go wrong with either, but again if you like the photos of the LSD, I assure you, you will like it better in person.

Kev.

p.s. did I mention it is much better in person?

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
I don't have a U1 to compare it to, but I think the hands are a little longer and thicker. The whole watch is bigger, so I think the hands would look small if they were not as thick as they are.

I think it the most ledgible watch I have owned. I have to agree with Kev that the pictures of the LSD, just do not do it justice. I ts a very very cool watch in person. I was thinking of getting a pam, but I chose to go the LSD route because it is so distinct and different. Dealing with Kobold is also a pleasure.

Here are a couple of quick pics from when I got mine a few weeks ago. Good luck! :-!
Al

·
Registered
2,302 Posts

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
I have them both. The U1 feels a whole lot smaller partly because it IS smaller but also because the lugs are scalloped whereas the LSD lugs are more blocky and squared off. I can see why you are making a comparison though since the hands are similar.

To tell you the truth I prefer the Sinn U1 dial to the LSD because it shows a lot more graphic design chops. The hands are not just plain and blocky but they have a little tab on them that is reminiscent of a buoy. The indices match that motif and the minute markers give you that impression of German precision. Also the case technology is obviously ahead of the Kobold due to the special steel.

That said, I love the domed crystal and bezel and the lack of outside AR coating on the LSD. The case is large but feels very balanced and the choice of the yellow on the sweep is terrific. I like the bold spare look very much and the only thing I can really ding it on is that the hands and markers are maybe a little too bland, that blockiness is just a little boring. Still, it has a certain special something that is in keeping with the rest of the Kobold line and I do like it very much.

Which one is better ? Who knows, it's all in what you like. The PAMs are very nice too.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help! Those are great pics AL. I guess I will look at the Panarai,Just to see one in person. All the lume pics are interesting,I don't know if the Pam's have special lume or just more of it. I'm leaning toward the LSD, but still researching!

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Thanks for the help! Those are great pics AL. I guess I will look at the Panarai,Just to see one in person. All the lume pics are interesting,I don't know if the Pam's have special lume or just more of it. I'm leaning toward the LSD, but still researching!

Either way you go, you will have a very nice watch! :-!
Al

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for the comments. The seal diver on the bracelet is also very nice looking,The crystal area looks small and I wasn't sure how easy it was to read!

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Thanks everyone for the comments. The seal diver on the bracelet is also very nice looking,The crystal area looks small and I wasn't sure how easy it was to read!
I can tell you from ample experience that the dial on the SEAL emminently readable, and ranks right up there with my Panerai for "instant" legibility. It also has the added bonus of tritium hands, which glow all night long (week long, month long, year long...) without recharging; and, as you pointed out, it's available with an OEM bracelet should you be the sort that likes a little extra metal on his wrist. Another point to consider is that relative to the LSD, the SEAL gives you an extra 500M of watercooler bragging rights thanks to its 1000M water-resistance rating (utterly pointless, but still...).

That said, the SEAL is a regular production model, so if you pass on it now, you can always pick one up later, whereas once Kobold sells 150 LSDs, that's it. No more. And while you can't get a bracelet with the LSD, thanks to its 24mm lugs, you've got an entire microverse of aftermarket Panerai straps to make up for the oversight (IMO, this watch made to live on a NATO/Zulu). And then there's that marvelous, clean, spare, matte dial...

As for the Panerai's, there's not a whole lot I can say to talk you out of getting one, either. While I'm more of a Base man myself (if it says "Panerai" on the dial, it had also better say "12-3-6-9"), the Fiver and the 111 are icons and they'll hold their value like no other watches out there. As such, if you get tired of it, sell it and get a Kobold.

Personally, if this were my money, I'd go for the LSD. It's big, beautiful, tough as nails, and scarcer than hens' teeth. I can practically guarantee that you'll love it -- but then I can pretty much guarantee that you'd love a SEAL or PAM as well.

Good luck choosing, buddy!

Regards,
Adam

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Adam, don't know where you got the idea that the Seal has tritium hands. Mine has luminova and they are actually quite lousy. The hands are very poor indeed, the dial is much better but some of the indices aren't even completely covered with lume. Maybe I got an early one but I was unimpressed with the lume on my Seal and it certainly is not tritium paint.

That said, the Seal is a beautiful watch.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Peter,
Is the lume on the Panerai's that much better than other watches? I have a Seamaster that is pretty good, It doesn't last that long though. The lume on my U1 isn't that bright but last a least 6 hours. Kind of confusing! A lot of the Pam's owners post lume shots, just wondering.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Adam, don't know where you got the idea that the Seal has tritium hands. Mine has luminova and they are actually quite lousy. The hands are very poor indeed, the dial is much better but some of the indices aren't even completely covered with lume. Maybe I got an early one but I was unimpressed with the lume on my Seal and it certainly is not tritium paint.

There was some discussion on the Kobold forum some time ago on the make up of the lume on the seal. I remember that there was an assumption that the hands may have some tritium paint on them, but I do not know if anyone found out what it actually was. The lume on mine is actually quite good, but the hands are lumed diferently that the markers and are not as bright.

I doubt that it does have Tritium, but I'll see if I can find a definitive answer.

I also agree that the seal is very readable....not as readable as the LSD (IMO), but with it's simple dial it works great.

Al

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks AL!
This is a big purchase for me, I love the pic's of the Seal on the bracelet,but I also like the clean look of the LSD. Haven't worn a watch on a leather strap, but have no reason to think I wouldn't like it. I have mixed feelings on the Panerai's. I live in the middle of nowhere(40 miles north of Amarillo,TX and have limited exposure to watches, other than Rolex and Breitling! Tried posting in the Kobold section, but have little luck there.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Hey there,

As noted, you can't go wrong with any of your choices. There are many more Panerai out there than Kobolds (outside of meeting up with someone from around here, you'll likely never see another in the wild), and even relatively fewer LSDs than Seals.

The lume on Panerai is good, but very much like your Omega experience--bright, clear, but not long-lasting. IIRC, the LSD actually uses different lume, which glows blue instead of green (pretty cool, IMHO).

The lume on the Seals has been improved since Peter's was done. Whether the hands are tritium or not is impossible to say. However, I can confirm that the lume on the dial of my Seal (one of the first Ti-cased models) is very well-done, precisely applied, and similar in brightness to most other Luminova watches (including Panerai). The hands, however, do not glow as brightly immediately after a charge. *However* they do last until the wee hours of the morning--with Luminova hands (Omega, Panerai, Rolex, etc.) you can't read the time easily after 7-8 hours without a charge. The Seal hands are clear as day, and easily read, although the dial has faded.

To me, that indicates that they have different lume. Personally, I like it, and have nothing bad to say about my Seal--it's rock solid, extremely legible, and enjoyable to wear.

FWIW--I'd jump on the LSD before they are gone, if I were you. Check on the Kobold forum, and you can see some LSD/Seal comparison pictures. I still prefer the Seal, as it is more tool-watch in design to me.

Cheers,
Daniel

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Thanks AL!
This is a big purchase for me, I love the pic's of the Seal on the bracelet,but I also like the clean look of the LSD. Haven't worn a watch on a leather strap, but have no reason to think I wouldn't like it. I have mixed feelings on the Panerai's. I live in the middle of nowhere(40 miles north of Amarillo,TX and have limited exposure to watches, other than Rolex and Breitling! Tried posting in the Kobold section, but have little luck there.
No sweat! I know what a tough decision it can be.The Kobold forum is good, but just does not have as many active posters as we have here on the Dive Forum.

As for the leather strap, I find them very comfortable. The only downside is that they will absorb sweat in the summer and can get funkey. I tend to switch watches a good bit and when it it really hot or I know I am going to be in the water, you cant beat a zulu type band. That is what I wear my seal on all summer and what the LSD will be on some as well. My Seal is currently on a brown leather Hirsch Liberty strap.

I have some great new zulu straps (Black, Tan and Grey) for the LSD, but I just have not had time to try them on yet. I'll try and take some pics over the weekend of them. I know there are some pics of the LSD on zulus and a couple of leather straps over on the Kobold forum.

I think between the leather and a zulu you can wear the watch for any occasion. HAving said that....I am thinking about getting the getting the bracelet for the seal as well....:-x SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!!
Al

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm on vacation the next 3 weeks, leaving for Dallas tomorrow morning. I am taking wife to Galleria so I can look at watches. I think Bachendorfs or Tornneau may have Panerai's. Right now I'm leaning toward the LSD!

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
I'm on vacation the next 3 weeks, leaving for Dallas tomorrow morning. I am taking wife to Galleria so I can look at watches. I think Bachendorfs or Tornneau may have Panerai's. Right now I'm leaning toward the LSD!
Have fun...a vacation and watch stores can be a dangerous combo.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts

Actually, I got the idea from: 1) my eyes -- I know the difference between tritium and SL; and 2) from Vince (aka vjb.knife), who had it confirmed from Mike himself. It may be that he has since run out and is now using SL hands, but my SEAL, which was purchased in March of 2006 has tritium hands. As Daniel pointed out, they won't glow as brightly as SL when they receive an initial charge, but take a look at the dial an hour later and the difference between the hands and the dial is night and day. At 4:30am, when the baby's crying, my SEAL is the only watch (aside from my Seaslug, which is full tritium), that's still glowing strong. Heck, after a week spent in the watchbox the hands are still glowing.

Regards,
Adam

PS -I just found the post regarding the SEAL's hands. Turns out that the new ones are indeed SL:

I was at Kobold this afternoon and spoke with Mike Kobold about this. Some of the older models do have tritium dials and hands. At some point the import of tritium parts became too difficult so the dials marked 'T' were discontinued so after that some models did have SL dials and Tritium hands but now all models have Superluminova dials and hands.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts