WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new here and I've had a Seamaster Chrono w/ the blue bezel for a while now. Recently got a Rolex datejust. It just doesn't seem right. I need another nice dive watch instead.
I'm currently stuck between a Kobold Seal or an IWC Aquatimer. My friend has an Aqua and I don't really want to copy him...but I REALLY love the look of that thing. My other choice is the Kobold. Don't really know much about them too much except reading through here. I like it as well but I don't get the same ohhhh excitement as when I look at the IWC. Hmmm maybe get both? :-d
What would be your choice or other alternatives?

·
Banned
3,758 Posts
If you are talking about an Aquatimer 3536 I would take it over a Seal, but any other IWC I would pass on. Of course you will have to pay about 4 x the used Seal price for a used 3536.

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
The old Aquatimers smoke most anything I think.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
IWC defos

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
My own experience: I had both the 3536 and the 2000 AT's. They were uncomfortable on the wrist, as the backside of the lugs were angle cut but were still pretty sharp. These lugs pressed against my wrist and hurt on warm days as my wrist size grew. I tried the rubber straps but the lugs were still a problem. I didn't want to sand the edges so I flipped them both.
The Seal is gigantic compared to the AT's but more comfortable for me.
ymmv.
DW

·
Registered
7,899 Posts
I have to agree with David - the SEAL is the most comfortable watch I've ever owned, and it's a very unique timepiece. I rhink the domed crystal, and a few of its other features are worth the price of admission alone!

·
Registered
560 Posts
the 3536 trumps anything, I think. Elegant, and tough.

The Sea-dweller is a close second, perhaps. I've never handled a Seal, though. However, it appears a Seal could not be worn with long sleeves, for example.

Watch the 3536 prices go through the roof in the next year or so...

Rafael T

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
I would (and did) choose the Seal, although you simply cannot go wrong with either watch. I have not (yet) owned an IWC.

I like the uniquness of the Seal, although the AT is hardly common....the Seal is much less so. It is a really amazing piece. I also did not choose mine to fill a dress watch need, but with a bracelet it certainly could work for that. I paln to add a bracelet amd have been working out to prepare my wrist for the weight :-d....just kidding, I like heavy watches. The seal is very comfortable. I wear mine on a Zulu when I plan on getting it wet and on a nice leather strap the rest of the time.

Having bought a watch from Kobold before (Spirit of America), I enjoy the top notch, personal, customer service as well. Since my Seal I have bought a LSD (Large Soarway Diver)as well and could not happier with all 3. (see pics) I am sure there will be more Kobolds in my future as well.

Good luck and either way yous go....post up some pics!:-!

Al

Seal

SOA

LSD

·
Registered
439 Posts
As luck would have it I tried both of those on a few days ago. They are vastly different even though they are divers. The AT blew me away. The Kobold on the other hand disappointed. The bracelet wears funny as the beads attached to the end pieces don't lay properly (for me anyway). This was the case with the Phantom tactical and the smallish Soarway diver too. If your an average size wrist, and you like wearing a bracelet I'd stay away from the Kobold. Even the Kobold AD agreed with me about the bracelet thing. He wears his only on strap...

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
As luck would have it I tried both of those on a few days ago. They are vastly different even though they are divers. The AT blew me away. The Kobold on the other hand disappointed. The bracelet wears funny as the beads attached to the end pieces don't lay properly (for me anyway). This was the case with the Phantom tactical and the smallish Soarway diver too. If your an average size wrist, and you like wearing a bracelet I'd stay away from the Kobold. Even the Kobold AD agreed with me about the bracelet thing. He wears his only on strap...
Good point on the bracelet....the fit of the Kobold barcelet can be an issue. There were some pics on the Kobold forum some time ago about it. It is one of the things to consider. I have only worn mine on straps to date so I have no experience on how it fits.

Is that AT SS or Ti?
Thanks
Al

·
Registered
213 Posts
The Kobold Seal just doesn't do much for me - to me the bezel looks disproportionately large in relation to the dial - IMO the SOA and LSD look much more balanced. In terms of resale, I think you'll also do better with the IWC .
Joe

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
No contest! Aquatimer! :-!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Sorry but the IWC Aquatimer screams YUPPIEE TO ME...so GO FOR IT!! |>
...and buy an Armani suit for the occasion as well...100% reccomended!!!:-!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts