WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello -

Just took delivery on this model (no pics yet, sorry). Any owners out there? Pretty cool watch and seems very well put together (my first experience with a Kobold), but I was a bit surprised at how "subdued" the subdials and the day/date indicator are. They are really almost illegible unless you look really hard at them - maybe that's the point, but from the print advertising that I've seen, I thought they would be somewhat more legible than they actually are. For other owners, is this something you get used to? I'm thinking hard about exchanging it for a "regular" Phantom Tactical.

Scott

·
Registered
18 Posts
They certainly do seem understated but IMO that's a great thing. It's a beautiful dial. My opinion is swayed though as I appreciate simple clean dials (IE Seal and AD).

Still, you have to be happy with it. If you are worried about looks, don't, it's AWESOME!

If you are worried that you will not be able to use the functions effectively and you DO use them (most don't), swap it out. If it's a tool it should work for you.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Congratulations on the Black Ops Scott :-!

I'm hanging out for one myself, and I have "missile lock" on getting one in 2011. I have not seen one in person so can't comment on the visibility / legibility of the sub dials & the day / date however I love the fact that "at a glance" all you will see is the time..... which in most cases is what I'd be looking for.

I think it's the coolest looking watch that KWC has released in a while & I really love it. But, if it's not for you then you should definately go with what suits you best.

And I'd kill for some real world pics please mate!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Your not the first to say something about the tac look of the ops.
I still think you have to be happy with your purchase. I like it from the pics, love to see the real deal!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Looks like a beaut to me, but haven't seen one in person.
Could you please post some pics?

Cheers
J

·
Registered
46 Posts
When this model was announced, I placed an order and when I received the watch, I could not even make out the outline of the sub dials must less make out the day/date or the Pittsburgh Pa. I thought or assumed that the watch would look at least like the photos on the Kobold web site which would have been fine with me. Consequently, I returned the watch and put it out of my mind. Several months passed and I received a call from Kobold that they had remade the dial to improve the contrast of the sub dials, day/date, lettering, etc. I decided to give it another try. The "new" version I received was, in my opinion, is much better. Now all this is subjective in that what is acceptable to one person, may be unacceptable to the next. My Black Ops is still stealthy but I can make out the sub dials, lettering, day/date. Now they don't "jump out" like a traditional dial and may not have as much contrast as the photos, but for my needs, it's a great watch. I rarely use the chrono function and if and when I do, I'll probably need to have good lighting to read the exact time but for 99% of the time, large green hour and minute hands as well as the indices are extremely legible even to my 59 year old eyes. Again, all this is subjective, but for me, the lefty crown, high contrast hands, Pittsburgh connection , and the presence of a stealthy chronograph available if I ever need that function, all in all, make this a great purchase for me especially since it is still at the offering price.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I would LOVE to see a picture of the new dial. I purchased the Black Ops soon after it came out and had the same reaction - super cool watch, but the day, date and subdials are hard to read, except when outside on a sunny day. I just wore mine on a trip to Hawaii over the holidays and do love the watch, though. It looks great underwater!

IMG_6162.jpg

Thanks.
John

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
Thanks for letting us know this
Now there are two different stealth dials
Darth and Son of Darth
Guess when you order you need to inquire and find out which are available etc
This ought to really keep Dale confused
Would love to see the two possible dials posted side by side

When this model was announced, I placed an order and when I received the watch, I could not even make out the outline of the sub dials must less make out the day/date or the Pittsburgh Pa. I thought or assumed that the watch would look at least like the photos on the Kobold web site which would have been fine with me. Consequently, I returned the watch and put it out of my mind. Several months passed and I received a call from Kobold that they had remade the dial to improve the contrast of the sub dials, day/date, lettering, etc. I decided to give it another try. The "new" version I received was, in my opinion, is much better. Now all this is subjective in that what is acceptable to one person, may be unacceptable to the next. My Black Ops is still stealthy but I can make out the sub dials, lettering, day/date. Now they don't "jump out" like a traditional dial and may not have as much contrast as the photos, but for my needs, it's a great watch. I rarely use the chrono function and if and when I do, I'll probably need to have good lighting to read the exact time but for 99% of the time, large green hour and minute hands as well as the indices are extremely legible even to my 59 year old eyes. Again, all this is subjective, but for me, the lefty crown, high contrast hands, Pittsburgh connection , and the presence of a stealthy chronograph available if I ever need that function, all in all, make this a great purchase for me especially since it is still at the offering price.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
wow that looks really cool- but then it also looks totally useless to utilize as a timekeeper- Id have to go with the regular version myself- thanks for that pic-

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Original Phantom...Getting ready for some winter ops...AKA Shoveling snow

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Black Ops Pictures

Thanks to all who responded to my post. Here is an attempt to post photos of the watch. Bear with me. I'm new at this!

Scott

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Congratulations on the Black Ops Scott :-!

I'm hanging out for one myself, and I have "missile lock" on getting one in 2011. I have not seen one in person so can't comment on the visibility / legibility of the sub dials & the day / date however I love the fact that "at a glance" all you will see is the time..... which in most cases is what I'd be looking for.

I think it's the coolest looking watch that KWC has released in a while & I really love it. But, if it's not for you then you should definately go with what suits you best.

And I'd kill for some real world pics please mate!!!!!!!
Pics below!!

Scott

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi John -

I posted some pics - looks like there is definitely a difference with the "new" dial.

1 - 20 of 135 Posts