WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I have my first Kobold (SOA), I need some help from those of you familiar with the screw-type strap, on how best to change them. The last thing I want to do is scratch up this beauty with an arrant screwdriver slip.

Do you use something to hold the case still while unscrewing the screws? It seems as it you need to hold one in place while unscrewing the other. I was able to do this with two small drivers but it slipped acouple of times and I though I would ask before i messed it up (my wife would be proud).

Any thoughts on best practices or tools here would be helpful.
Thanks
Al

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Now that I have my first Kobold (SOA), I need some help from those of you familiar with the screw-type strap, on how best to change them. The last thing I want to do is scratch up this beauty with an arrant screwdriver slip.

Do you use something to hold the case still while unscrewing the screws? It seems as it you need to hold one in place while unscrewing the other. I was able to do this with two small drivers but it slipped acouple of times and I though I would ask before i messed it up (my wife would be proud).

Any thoughts on best practices or tools here would be helpful.
Thanks
Al
The only thing i don't like about Kobold. I wish they would use the Panerai configuration.

I took mine to the AD to change. Enzo Mechana...same thing

·
Registered
301 Posts
The only thing i don't like about Kobold. I wish they would use the Panerai configuration.

I took mine to the AD to change. Enzo Mechana...same thing
I think that the 2 screw config is more secure than the 1 screw PAM version. Negative friction will not loosen the screws in Kobold's design.

I use a vise to change straps...:-!

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
If you don't have a vise, then place some masking tape over the screws and punch through with the screwdriver. This offers a bit of protection in case the screwdriver slides. Mind you, the screws might be secured with a bit of locktite, which is going to make it awfully difficult for you to do this on your own without a vise. My suggestion would be to take it to a jeweler for the first strap change. After that, the screws should be sufficiently loosened, that you shouldn't have any trouble doing it on your own later on.

Regards,
Adam

PS - This is what I did with my SEAL. After my jeweler performed the first strap change, I had no problem doing it myself afterwards, sans vise.

·
Registered
456 Posts
one of the great things about the SOA case is that it's brushed titanuim, which means that if you do happen to slip while changing straps (which I did) it will oxidize in a failry short time. also if it's really bad you can take some steel wool or a brio pad and brush it in the same direction as the grain and get it looking pretty good fairly quick.

The other benefit to the Kobold screw bars versus the panerai method is that there is no chaning of stripping the lug. I had a problem with my Panerai 177, the screw threads broke off in the lug. Luckily Jack at IWW was able to fix it for me, otherwise panerai would charge me for an entirely new case.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I hold the case dial down with the same hand that is holding the stable screwdriver--for me it's the left hand, and I just hold the screwdriver steady. I use the right hand to carefully turn the screw. Works fine for me--maybe it just takes a little practice?

I also prefer the Kobold method--I think it's more secure.

Cheers,
Daniel

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input guys! :-!

I ordered a cheap case holder that should help.

I like the way the screws work as it makes me very comfortable that they wont come loose durring normal wear.

Al

·
Registered
17,513 Posts
Another benefit of how Kobold does it vs. Panerai, is that if the screws would be cross threaded or such, all you need is a new set. Whereas if you cross thread or damage the threads on the case side of a Panerai, you are looking at a new case, which will be $600 + to fix....

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
a tip regarding the use of a case holder...

you can put some double stick tape on the bottom of the case holder, and stick it down to your work table. That way, it is secure while you (and I) fool around with the two screwdrivers. Afterwards, just peel it up and wipe down the table.
Adam's tip is important, that tape will save your case finish! I use masking tape, a bit thicker than regular scotch tape
DW

1 - 9 of 9 Posts