WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to share the results of my regulation experiments and I think I have the watch dialed in as precisely as possible given the tools I have. I don't have any specialty devices so adjustment of the regulation arm was all trial and error over the course of several days. FWIW, the watch is now more accurate than my Oris which has an average of +4.5s/d.

I decided to try regulation for the first time as this particular watch is over 10 years old and was running slow. I'm happy with the results. What do you guys think?

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
188 Posts
That's very decent. My 2416 watch is at a watchmakers for an overhaul after seizing. I hope he can get similar results. I think this a great movement sometines spoilt by factory not regulating them properly and hit and miss quality control ie in my case oil or lack of it. Watchmaker said mine was dry as a bone.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What are you guys suggesting to use as oil or lubricant for these watches? How much is applied and probably more importantly, where exactly is it applied?

·
Registered
131 Posts
What are you guys suggesting to use as oil or lubricant for these watches? How much is applied and probably more importantly, where exactly is it applied?

Some parts get oil, others grease. Everyone has their own preference but mobius is regarded as top shelf. Different viscosity oil has different uses, same with grease. A little dab 'll do ya. oil the jewels, grease the pallet and friction points on gears. It don't take much. Whole books are written on the subject, get cracking.

Way I understand it, the best oil is rendered from cow and hog bone and there's a book about that too.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
A little dab 'll do ya. oil the jewels, grease the pallet and friction points on gears. It don't take much.
Perhaps you could elaborate a little more for us? I have never heard or greasing a pallet fork and seeing as the arbor runs in jewels perhaps a dab of oil is also needed?..

·
Registered
131 Posts
Perhaps you could elaborate a little more for us? I have never heard or greasing a pallet fork and seeing as the arbor runs in jewels perhaps a dab of oil is also needed?..
In my experience on paintball forums, sharing your methods in detail is never useful as it leads to a ton of armchairing and I'm better than youing. Best advice I can give you is to get a service manual or to read a book about watchmaking. If you've got a better method, write a book and get published.

Attachment should help you get the idea.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
In my experience on paintball forums, sharing your methods in detail is never useful as it leads to a ton of armchairing and I'm better than youing. Best advice I can give you is to get a service manual or to read a book about watchmaking. If you've got a better method, write a book and get published.
Of Course I know nothing about Paintball forums, a little more about watch servicing. I would never offer advice without a good knowledge of the subject. Lets just say that "Grease" on the pallet fork is not a good idea and as your handy ETA service notes detail only a special Moebius oil is used on the pallet stones, many don't oil the pallet arbor at all and this includes Vostok 24xx movements.

Dave Murphy's Notes are very good and easy to follow, enjoy...

https://www.watchuseek.com/f54/vostok-2416b-service-notes-240805.html

·
Registered
131 Posts
Matt, the only place on the diagram that gets grease is where the forks meet the balance. Come off it.

I personally use grease a couple other places but that's my choice. It's my watch after all.

Again, to anyone asking for advice on the internet, take it with a grain of salt. Also, do your own research.

If you just want to argue with somebody about how they treat their own property though, shove off.

Also that is a nice link from an experienced watchmaker with a good write-up on the movement in question. That's good on ya, probably should have lead with it imo.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Matt, the only place on the diagram that gets grease is where the forks meet the balance. Come off it.

I personally use grease a couple other places but that's my choice. It's my watch after all.

Again, to anyone asking for advice on the internet, take it with a grain of salt. Also, do your own research.

If you just want to argue with somebody about how they treat their own property though, shove off.

Also that is a nice link from an experienced watchmaker with a good write-up on the movement in question. That's good on ya, probably should have lead with it imo.

No Argument intended, i'm just confused perhaps with your terminology for Grease and Oil? Of course how you lubricate your watch movements is entirely up to you.
My personal preference for Vostok 24xx Pallet fork is Moebius 9415 on the pallet stones and nothing on the pivot (arbor).

As for the rest of the movement its pretty much inline with Dave's notes.

The 24xx series suffer with weak mainsprings so getting power through the train is important to give the best amplitude possible.

All the best Comrade...

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I couldn't help myself so I bought a Timegrapher. Just to confirm, Vostok movements have a 42 degree lift angle right?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts