WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
521 - 540 of 552 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Looky here the ugly yellow. Lol, she's picky. Really picky. First time out the box. Set the time. Screw down the crown, unscrew. Wind it a little bit. Thinking damn, I got a broke one. The second hand doesn't move. No good Russians.

Tap tap on the palm of my hand. The second hand jumped but no ticking. Tap tap gently again, come on girl, I know you got it. Pretty please... And there she goes. Second hand takes off. Now it runs like a clock'. A Russian clock.

Talk about a charming watch. I love it! No wonder people buy these things.

·
Registered
48 Posts
This was my first Komandirskie and it really grew on me.
Arrived broken, had it serviced, some other small complications but it all worked out in the end.
The only flaw is the damaged dial.
I'm torn between replacing/getting it restored and leaving it in it's scarred state since, it is a part of the watch's history.
From what I can see, only the top varnish layer has been damaged.
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Clock Font
Watch Analog watch Automotive tire Font Clock

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
This was my first Komandirskie and it really grew on me.
Arrived broken, had it serviced, some other small complications but it all worked out in the end.
The only flaw is the damaged dial.
I'm torn between replacing/getting it restored and leaving it in it's scarred state since, it is a part of the watch's history.
From what I can see, only the top varnish layer has been damaged.
View attachment 16042933
View attachment 16042935

Don't replace it. These are tough dials to find. I have the blue and gold versions.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Then I might just get the dial restored. The rest of the watch is in such good condition that it would be worth it for me.
I was looking for a replacement dial like this but to no avail.
Or keep it as it is? Dial restoration is always a bit of a hit and miss. And best restorers aren't cheap, may not even be affordable.

There is a modern version, 020707, available. For example from Meranom.

As much as I love Komandirskies. I tend to keep ones in good or in excellent shape as they are. Restoring and customization to ones that are below those. New modern analog costs about 70€. How much would be dial restoration? And how likely they would succeed?

But it is your watch and you are free to do whatever you want. I won't judge you for doing that. And I would love to see the results.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Then I might just get the dial restored. The rest of the watch is in such good condition that it would be worth it for me.
I was looking for a replacement dial like this but to no avail.
I don't think it is worth it to redial it. No one is gonna be able to replicate that late 80's Russian lacquer finish. Keep it as is, and put an eBay and Etsy and WUS search to look out for another... It may take a year but there's another nice dial out there somewhere. There are a few guys on Etsy with a LOT of old Soviet dials for sale. See what they can find!

In fact here-- #29 on this link.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Hand rubbed polish using jewelry paste and a piece of leather. Total time is currently an hour of polishing. Mimics years of rubbing against clothing without losing the original machining marks.

Bottle by NOS.

View attachment 16044616
Jimzilla is very familiar with NOS comrade! :cool:

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Or keep it as it is? Dial restoration is always a bit of a hit and miss. And best restorers aren't cheap, may not even be affordable.

There is a modern version, 020707, available. For example from Meranom.

As much as I love Komandirskies. I tend to keep ones in good or in excellent shape as they are. Restoring and customization to ones that are below those. New modern analog costs about 70€. How much would be dial restoration? And how likely they would succeed?

But it is your watch and you are free to do whatever you want. I won't judge you for doing that. And I would love to see the results.
I can echo this. Get a new one and keep the old guy in original state.

521 - 540 of 552 Posts