WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post on this forum, some of you here may already have seen this photo of my daily-wear Komandirskie:

Could anyone tell me how to charge up the lume properly, or if I'll need to replace it?

I've tried various methods, from UV exposure (1 hour) to leaving it in sunlight for ages, etc. , but it just doesn't "hold it's charge".

The only way I can get it to glow visibly is to put a maglite on the front for a few minutes, then it fades away in a few seconds. In fact, the last time I managed to see the lume at all was at 4am in the blacked-out bowels of a cross-channel ferry, which came as a bit of a shock.

Any suggestions gratefully recieved.

All the best,
Paul

·
Registered
435 Posts
That's a vintage watch, at least 15 years old. From the color of the lume, you can tell it has faded, so it is no longer as effective as it once was.

Personally, I've never seen what I would call an effective lume, one that stays luminous all night. So, I don't have high expectations for lumes and don't really care if a watch is luminous or not.

If I wanted a watch that was truly visible in the dark, I'd get one with tritium tubes or simply an illuminated dial.

By the way, beautiful watch, that's one of my favorite Vostoks.

·
4,410 Posts
The watch has tritium which provides...

the luminecent qualities of the watch.

Tritium, being a mild radioactive material, loses its ability to excite the luminous paint as time goes on.

The best bet would be to to buy a new modern Vostok which uses SLN, which will not fade over time unlike tritium. Reluming it will only be a chore, potentially hazaedous, and not worth it in the long run.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice watch Paul, but what I would like to know is where you got the STRAP!

Regards

OKEAH
The strap is an 18mm Apollo-Southerns black and green nylon-velcro job.
I used to buy these over the counter in my local H Samuel shop for about 8.00GBP, but nowadays I get them direct from the factory at half that price.

Many years ago, I had an identical watch to this, which I bought in Leningrad (when it still was called that). It had a wonderful brown leather padded strap with a clear bubble which contained a small photo of Yuri Gagarin. I got the impression that you could remove the back of the bubble and put in your own photo....

Sadly, that watch got lost during a repair job some years ago, and it took me until earlier this year to find a replacement. Sadly, I've never seen a similar strap for sale. :(

All the best,
Paul

·
4,410 Posts
Those straps turn up for sale on occasion

years ago I bought a Raketa for $9.00 USD on ebay just for the strap. :-D

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
...Many years ago, I had an identical watch to this, which I bought in Leningrad (when it still was called that). It had a wonderful brown leather padded strap with a clear bubble which contained a small photo of Yuri Gagarin. I got the impression that you could remove the back of the bubble and put in your own photo....

Sadly, that watch got lost during a repair job some years ago, and it took me until earlier this year to find a replacement. Sadly, I've never seen a similar strap for sale. :(
These Gagarin straps appear on occasion on ebay. I have 2. I use them with Soviet watches. You can remove Yuri Alekseevich's picture, but why? :-S

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Speak of the devil! Today I made my first reluming. I used green Bergeon (5680) luminous paste. The result is very good. I cleaned all perimetric dot spots and hands by taking off all old faded paste. :-D
AF luminous paste is better. It rivals manufacturer quality in brightness and longevity.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Speak of the devil! Today I made my first reluming. I used green Bergeon (5680) luminous paste. The result is very good. I cleaned all perimetric dot spots and hands by taking off all old faded paste. :-D
Nice job, did the instructions help? did you have any problems setting the hands? was there anything that i forgot to cover? tell me more about how you did it and how hard you thought that it was. would you do it again? as for the paste it is really a personal choice, i like the bergeon but i think that the white is a more original match, you can also adjust the unluminated color of the paste by adding food dye or other pigment, the green does look very good though, i may try it on a vostok soon as i like the look.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Nice job, did the instructions help? did you have any problems setting the hands? was there anything that i forgot to cover? tell me more about how you did it and how hard you thought that it was. would you do it again? as for the paste it is really a personal choice, i like the bergeon but i think that the white is a more original match, you can also adjust the unluminated color of the paste by adding food dye or other pigment, the green does look very good though, i may try it on a vostok soon as i like the look.
Hi there! Your instructions were most valuable to make it. I didn't have any problems at all. When you have the right instructions and the right tools, then it's not difficult to do it. I used the 5680-G Bergeon which I think, it wasn't so green as I thought to be. Anyway you're probably right about white paste, is more preferable choice for Vostoks. I'll try it next time. Also I did it again using the same green paste on the hands of an old Poljot. Green paste was much better on this, but it was more difficult to set the hands back because it has alarm feature. My persistence made me to succeed again though. :gold

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts