WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello :)

Recently I discovered my grandfather's komandirskie in some drawer. The watch surely lay there for the last 6 years, so it was in very bad condition - hands broken, bezel, case and crown completely scratched, the brass color clearly visible. :roll:

Too much sparetime - so I decided to get some replacement parts, and found a mint, private submarine kommandirskie for sale using a google search (!!).

Did the swap yesterday - the movement/dial from the old komandirskie ticks with a new case/bezel/hand combination now.... Put it on a NATO strap as I remember my grandfather wearing watches only with this type of strap...

I am not sure if this watch is now "repaired using spare parts" or a "franken" :-s What would you say? I attached a photo as well ....

Another thing - is it possible to date the original watch using the s/n? on the back it says

сделано в CCCP
BOCTOK

thanks!
chris

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hello :)

Recently I discovered my grandfather's komandirskie in some drawer. The watch surely lay there for the last 6 years, so it was in very bad condition - hands broken, bezel, case and crown completely scratched, the brass color clearly visible. :roll:

Too much sparetime - so I decided to get some replacement parts, and found a mint, private submarine kommandirskie for sale using a google search (!!).

Did the swap yesterday - the movement/dial from the old komandirskie ticks with a new case/bezel/hand combination now.... Put it on a NATO strap as I remember my grandfather wearing watches only with this type of strap...

I am not sure if this watch is now "repaired using spare parts" or a "franken" :-s What would you say? I attached a photo as well ....

Another thing - is it possible to date the original watch using the s/n? on the back it says

сделано в CCCP
BOCTOK

thanks!
chris
You have a nice refurbished watch.
Not a Franken.
But lets face it sometimes it's not possible to get the exact same parts to refurbish a watch due to your location (I'm in Hawaii) so you have to get parts where you can.
Looks like you didn't have that problem.
FWIW I am toying with the idea this summer of buying an Amphibia and putting a military 24 hour dial on it from a Komandirskie. Franken? I don't care-it's part of my 'kit' and modifying it to my needs and desires takes precedence.
BUT if I try to sell it with my modifications as a one-of unique special edition VOSTOK-then yes it's a 'Franken'.

Hat's off to you keeping a family heirloom in the family and still running and kitted out properly just like your Grandfather. He had his reasons -and you honored those to. |>

Sorry can't help you on the s/n

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Although your watch is not "franken" it is still a Komandirskie dial in an Amphibia case. Now, it looks wonderful, but is not really a Komandirskie anymore. I think you've created a watch with the best traits of the Komandirskie and the Amphibia :)

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Although your watch is not "franken" it is still a Komandirskie dial in an Amphibia case. Now, it looks wonderful, but is not really a Komandirskie anymore. I think you've created a watch with the best traits of the Komandirskie and the Amphibia :)
I guess that DOES make it a Franken, doesn't it ;-)

But that ain't a problem to me, the word 'Franken' maybe has a negative tone to it, but it doesn't necessarily have to be a negative thing. What's wrong with repairing your watch with parts from another model?

As long as you don't try to sell it like an original of course, but that's not the case in this situation. It looks very pretty by the way, you did a hell of a job on it, my compliments :-!

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can you explain that, as the watch I bought for replacement parts has "komandirskie" on the dial and has exactly the same case? :-s

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
To make this clear too, all watches can be modified either due to lack of broken/damaged parts or due to aesthetics. That's the definition of the "modified" watch.
On the other way, "franken" watches are all modified watches which are going for sale as "genuine" which aren't obviously.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Can you explain that, as the watch I bought for replacement parts has "komandirskie" on the dial and has exactly the same case? :-s
If your watch had that kind of case it too was an Amphibia. Maybe the person who sold the parts to you was mistaken?

·
Registered
89 Posts
christian,

In my opinion, the refurbish watch you show is 100% Kom. The case is not an amphibia...

:-! good work

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
christian,

In my opinion, the refurbish watch you show is 100% Kom. The case is not an amphibia...

:-! good work
I looked closer and your right, the watch is in a Komandirskie case, but is that a Amphibia bezel? Like I said, the watch looks great, and in the end if it makes you happy than it is right ;-)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts