WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

341 - 355 of 355 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Still better than collections with 20 similar-looking black dial dive watches. You don't like salmon - don't buy it, why make a highly subjective claim on a thread about a salmon-ish dial watch?
After seeing his collection in his sig, I found it somewhat ironic that he called another watch "ugly." Pot calling the kettle black much?

Something something glass houses and stone throwing.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Clearly you’ve never bootstrapped a company.
Oh no, I haven't. I am not criticizing Kurono. I just think that consumer behavior is to blame for what people are criticizing Kurono for (taking a year to change dial color etc)

·
Registered
7,177 Posts
Well I guess when a brand gets as much hype as Ming and Kurono you're bound to get detractors. I do wish I had this many people to discuss Minase with, though I guess I'm glad the brand has missed out on too much of the negative outside of the usual "it's just an ETA" thing. If these two brands do well and suck all the rabid flippers in like a Black Friday sale that's fine. That just means more calm and better prices for me in my unpopular shops. 😁

·
Registered
322 Posts
I‘m a Kurono fan and waiting on two models and I also checked out Minase a while ago. I liked what I saw but I think the design isn’t going to get as many fans since it’s a bit different and likely not everyones cup of tea. I also wonder how well the Minase design aesthetic is going to age…..Kurono on the other hand has a classic design that will still look good years into the future.

·
Registered
7,177 Posts
😂 I think Minase is best left a secret. Hype is nice for resale, but brings with it too much drama. I absolutely love the fact that I can get a Minase by just going to their website and paying for it.
True, I rather like the current situation where I can request #1 of their 15 watch anniversary run and get it with a discount. Being a big fish in a small pond is more fun than a minnow in the ocean.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
That just means more calm and better prices for me in my unpopular shops. 😁
This is how I feel about anordain and Fears. In a way I'd like for them to get the recognition they deserve, but at the same time I'd rather they don't. With great recognition comes great hype... And all it entails.

I'm not sure on Minase but I know anordain and Fears sell well enough to keep them profitable and able to develop new projects. That's a win on my book.

Oh and add Garrick to the list. When they get "found" prices will skyrocket.

·
Registered
7,177 Posts
This is how I feel about anordain and Fears. In a way I'd like for them to get the recognition they deserve, but at the same time I'd rather they don't. With great recognition comes great hype... And all it entails.

I'm not sure on Minase but I know anordain and Fears sell well enough to keep them profitable and able to develop new projects. That's a win on my book.

Oh and add Garrick to the list. When they get "found" prices will skyrocket.
Minase in the last few years went from <300 to <500 watches a year, though they are starting to really ramp up their SKUs as they make all kinds of colored Dividos. Since they make cases for other brands, it's probably hard to say if they are truly profitable (i.e. would they really be if they weren't sharing equipment and staff with Kyowa). I doubt they could've designed the Divido or 5/7 Windows on their own without the background. Imagine if a "usual" microbrand did that. They'd go bankrupt before the prototype phase.

·
Registered
670 Posts
It is not a secret now, but I just don't like them :)
This. Minase isn't a "secret." Most fans of Japanese watches have heard of them. It's just that their design language is an acquired taste.

They certainly have their small group of loyal followers, but they'll never be a viral sensation simply due to the eccentric nature of their designs.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Minase in the last few years went from <300 to <500 watches a year, though they are starting to really ramp up their SKUs as they make all kinds of colored Dividos. Since they make cases for other brands, it's probably hard to say if they are truly profitable (i.e. would they really be if they weren't sharing equipment and staff with Kyowa). I doubt they could've designed the Divido or 5/7 Windows on their own without the background. Imagine if a "usual" microbrand did that. They'd go bankrupt before the prototype phase.
Yeah, I agree also there's something technically to their designs, but maybe it because it hard to see in the metal and hard to appreciate the quality (similar with GS also really). I do wonder if they started using Miyota instead of ETA and drop the price 1K would it help their adoption, but more its a brand that I just need to wait till I have a chance to see on in reality as the design language doesn't play well in photos. (vs MING which, I guess since he's got the experience and still handling the shoots himself, he really knows how to emphaize the uniqueness of their design visually). I'd be interested in one of those square ones in a green dial fancy texture of some kind I think.

Out of curiousity, with all the watches you have, how do you rate their finishing vs some of the better finished ones in your collection

·
Registered
7,177 Posts
Yeah, I agree also there's something technically to their designs, but maybe it because it hard to see in the metal and hard to appreciate the quality (similar with GS also really). I do wonder if they started using Miyota instead of ETA and drop the price 1K would it help their adoption, but more its a brand that I just need to wait till I have a chance to see on in reality as the design language doesn't play well in photos. (vs MING which, I guess since he's got the experience and still handling the shoots himself, he really knows how to emphaize the uniqueness of their design visually). I'd be interested in one of those square ones in a green dial fancy texture of some kind I think.

Out of curiousity, with all the watches you have, how do you rate their finishing vs some of the better finished ones in your collection
Minase's bracelet, "dial," and case finishing and fit is on par with VC, Bulgari, Credor, Blancpain, GP, and Piaget men's steel watches, and better than some of the models. It is above IWC, Rolex, Omega, and GS. To be honest I've always felt GS are well finished for their price point, but I've never understood the slavish praise they get for it as they are not that far above their peers. Credor I get, but not GS.

If you really see how much work and engineering goes into each individual component and how many individual components there are, you realize how much value there is in the watch. What you pay for in Minase is the case and bracelet engineering and the fit and finish that is in the 5 figure territory. Dropping the price by 1k would necessitate a different watch. Which they offer already. There is a reason why that bracelet is worth over 1k by itself. If that bracelet came with a brand with history, it'd probably be worth 2k.

Personally, I don't find Ming or Kuronos all that interesting. Neither of them offer enough above style to make me consider the price worthwhile. I don't get the impression from their pictures that the fit and finish are worth the price they are at, and since I don't like the style, that's unfortunately not enough to carry the price to me. If I were to go for a micro at that price, I'd go anOrdain.

Reactions: nurpur

·
Registered
388 Posts
Yep, I suppose I'm like that with Minase. I don't appreciate their style and I could't care less for the quality of finishing :) As for the anOrdain I would buy the pink model 1, but I like the Kurono Toki much more actually.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Minase's bracelet, "dial," and case finishing and fit is on par with VC, Bulgari, Credor, Blancpain, GP, and Piaget men's steel watches, and better than some of the models. It is above IWC, Rolex, Omega, and GS. To be honest I've always felt GS are well finished for their price point, but I've never understood the slavish praise they get for it as they are not that far above their peers. Credor I get, but not GS.

If you really see how much work and engineering goes into each individual component and how many individual components there are, you realize how much value there is in the watch. What you pay for in Minase is the case and bracelet engineering and the fit and finish that is in the 5 figure territory. Dropping the price by 1k would necessitate a different watch. Which they offer already. There is a reason why that bracelet is worth over 1k by itself. If that bracelet came with a brand with history, it'd probably be worth 2k.

Personally, I don't find Ming or Kuronos all that interesting. Neither of them offer enough above style to make me consider the price worthwhile. I don't get the impression from their pictures that the fit and finish are worth the price they are at, and since I don't like the style, that's unfortunately not enough to carry the price to me. If I were to go for a micro at that price, I'd go anOrdain.
Well put and agree with all the above.

I have bought and sold, bought and sold for many many years. Eventually, you start to understand
and appreciate what goes into making a good watch and a great watch. The attention to detail,
engineering and craftsmanship is all there in the Minase. It is just not possible to have that quality
of finish and fit for them to drop the price. The brands mentioned by sleepyhead123 have the history to
charge the prices that they do - and no one begrudges them. I am not a bracelet person, but this is
the only watch I have gone out of my way to purchase with one on. It is worth every penny of the
asking price. I am contented and chilled out as our Kitty!

341 - 355 of 355 Posts