WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 40 of 355 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
I have the SUF Frosted Salmon and the Ming 17.09 Burgundy incoming. Tempted to go for this one to complete the trifecta, but concerned that there is too much color overlap. Wish I had the Mori or eggshell white one instead. From the pictures, it seems less salmon and more copperish pink to me. What do you guys think?
Took the words right out of my mouth.

The eggshell dial is one of the best looking watches ever released IMO.

I was committed to getting the next Kurono but I'm not connecting with this dial colour. Wish it was either more salmon-esk or more cherry blossom-esk. I've been looking at the SUF salmon and prefer that dial to this one.

Still a beautiful watch though. Very curious to see how many get ordered, although it sounds like they won't be publishing the production numbers.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Took the words right out of my mouth.

The eggshell dial is one of the best looking watches ever released IMO.

I was committed to getting the next Kurono but I'm not connecting with this dial colour. Wish it was either more salmon-esk or more cherry blossom-esk. I've been looking at the SUF salmon and prefer that dial to this one.

Still a beautiful watch though. Very curious to see how many get ordered, although it sounds like they won't be publishing the production numbers.
I absolutely love the SUF! I think it is one of the most underrated independent microbrands out there, probably due to a more restrained design approach vs Ming and Kurono. That's one of the reasons why I decided I will get the next Kurono (similar style of affordable design-centric watches from proven independent masters). But not sure about this color... I think I will bite the bullet and go for it, but hate myself even more for missing out on the Mori last year (and for choosing the Burgundy Ming over blue)

Reactions: Histrionics

·
Registered
37 Posts
One cool thing about this is that Kurono hasn't increased the price since the Mori. Hajime-san seems still to be aiming to at least one piece a year at the under 200,000 JPY price point that he set for himself as an 'affordable' watch (even if the chronograph and the Grand Akane pulled higher prices). And with the time-limited release it's more democratic and gets more watches out there in the hands of people who want them.

I love the color but I have the MING in Burgundy coming in a few months and I also have the Reiwa Copper and the cream-dialed classic. So besides already having plenty of watches, I already have a red Chrono Tokyo and a monochrome dial. But I hope other folks will jump on the opportunity.

·
Premium Member
12,016 Posts
I absolutely love the SUF! I think it is one of the most underrated independent microbrands out there, probably due to a more restrained design approach vs Ming and Kurono. That's one of the reasons why I decided I will get the next Kurono (similar style of affordable design-centric watches from proven independent masters). But not sure about this color... I think I will bite the bullet and go for it, but hate myself even more for missing out on the Mori last year (and for choosing the Burgundy Ming over blue)
somebody said SUF?
image.jpg

·
Registered
572 Posts
You really have everything out there

How do you like it though? I feel it is quite underrated vs Kurono and Ming (probably due to a more restrained design approach)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
12,016 Posts
You really have everything out there

How do you like it though? I feel it is quite underrated vs Kurono and Ming (probably due to a more restrained design approach)

i like the artistry of the dial of my Reiwa better but as a watch, i like the dial of the Myrsky better. Not sure if i make sense.

i have no Ming. But that new Massena colLab is honeypotting me. :)

·
Registered
572 Posts
One cool thing about this is that Kurono hasn't increased the price since the Mori. Hajime-san seems still to be aiming to at least one piece a year at the under 200,000 JPY price point that he set for himself as an 'affordable' watch (even if the chronograph and the Grand Akane pulled higher prices). And with the time-limited release it's more democratic and gets more watches out there in the hands of people who want them.

I love the color but I have the MING in Burgundy coming in a few months and I also have the Reiwa Copper and the cream-dialed classic. So besides already having plenty of watches, I already have a red Chrono Tokyo and a monochrome dial. But I hope other folks will jump on the opportunity.
I have the SUF Salmon and the Ming Burgundy, but might still go for this one to complete the trifecta of "prestige" affordables :)

Reactions: singularityseven

·
Registered
572 Posts
I can’t get myself to want to spend $1700+ on a watch with a Miyota movement.
Fair point, but I think nobody chasing movement value would go for a Kurono or Ming anyway. It's essentially a design-centric watch.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I look forward to seeing a shot of these three side-by-side. That is a serious trifecta!
Oh yes, will definitely post some pics (when the Ming finally arrives). Really wished it was the Mori (green), blue 17.09 and salmon SUF instead. That looks so perfect in my head!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have the SUF Salmon and the Ming Burgundy, but might still go for this one to complete the trifecta of "prestige" affordables :)
Replying to myself a little bit here, but I was also thinking Chrono is getting a lot of mileage out of there design. So far they have used only two different cases (the one for the three hand watch and the one for the chronograph) and three dial designs (the classic and the reiwa are essentially the same dial but the reiwa is two-toned, and the akane has the same dial design as the bullseye, and then there's the chronograph).

It works to go back to the classic dial for a wider release but I would hope that for their next release they bring something fresh to keep progressing their design language (kind of like what they did with the Grand Akane dial on the bullseye base).

(Or maybe I don't want them to because then I would have trouble convincing myself not to buy it.)

MING has done a lot to change their design language and offer different variations on case/hands/movement/dial/etc. (especially if you factor in their Special Projects Cave) so if you factor in the time they put in to R&D it justifies some of the price increase.

Or think about Jason at Halios who is coming up with new stuff all the time, and even when he goes back to an old watch he is trying to tinker with it and bring something fresh to that iteration (a recent post on instagram on the next Seaforth says he is thinking of titanium cases).

The negative example would be like a Unimatic where they have basically two case designs and just keep recycling different dial options in limited releases (they have the Due which is their 'field watch' style case, the Uno which is the classic dive watch, and then a couple of variations on that, one a chronograph and another the dive watch but without a rotating bezel).

·
Registered
619 Posts
Replying to myself a little bit here, but I was also thinking Chrono is getting a lot of mileage out of there design. So far they have used only two different cases (the one for the three hand watch and the one for the chronograph) and three dial designs (the classic and the reiwa are essentially the same dial but the reiwa is two-toned, and the akane has the same dial design as the bullseye, and then there's the chronograph).

It works to go back to the classic dial for a wider release but I would hope that for their next release they bring something fresh to keep progressing their design language (kind of like what they did with the Grand Akane dial on the bullseye base).

(Or maybe I don't want them to because then I would have trouble convincing myself not to buy it.)

MING has done a lot to change their design language and offer different variations on case/hands/movement/dial/etc. (especially if you factor in their Special Projects Cave) so if you factor in the time they put in to R&D it justifies some of the price increase.

Or think about Jason at Halios who is coming up with new stuff all the time, and even when he goes back to an old watch he is trying to tinker with it and bring something fresh to that iteration (a recent post on instagram on the next Seaforth says he is thinking of titanium cases).

The negative example would be like a Unimatic where they have basically two case designs and just keep recycling different dial options in limited releases (they have the Due which is their 'field watch' style case, the Uno which is the classic dive watch, and then a couple of variations on that, one a chronograph and another the dive watch but without a rotating bezel).
Totally agree here. Ming somehow makes it feel fresh and differentiated every time (though my wife, or any layman, would beg to differ and say they all look the same). The consistent design language is applied in many ways to come out with a different feel, even when the watches are substantially the same (e.g. the copper and the monolith, of the same generation)

I hope Kurono retires the reiwa design too to come up with the next gorgeous watch

·
Registered
846 Posts
I think its somewhat unfair to expect small independent watchmakers like Kurono to innovate on their case designs in a matter of a few years when the big boys don't for decades. That aside, I would like to see an evolution of the design. They went from classic to two tone Reiwa and then back to classic. Now the marketing team seems to be stressing "The 316L high-polished stainless steel", but its looks to be the same as its always been. The straps that ship with the watches are rubbish and some kind of integrated SS bracelet that fits the classic would be nice.

·
Premium Member
2,183 Posts
I think its somewhat unfair to expect small independent watchmakers like Kurono to innovate on their case designs in a matter of a few years when the big boys don't for decades. That aside, I would like to see an evolution of the design. They went from classic to two tone Reiwa and then back to classic. Now the marketing team seems to be stressing "The 316L high-polished stainless steel", but its looks to be the same as its always been. The straps that ship with the watches are rubbish and some kind of integrated SS bracelet that fits the classic would be nice.
Since he isn't machining it himself and is outsourcing it to a third party capable of producing in volume, I don't see why not. Microbrands are able to put out at least 2-3 different cases a year, and operate on far smaller budgets. But Hajime is known to be someone that makes slow and gradual strides, so this shouldn't really come as a surprise.

Ming needs to stay at the cutting edge, because that's what people love about the brand. I think Kurono can get away with minor facelifts for a long time, as long as there is some design evolution in the cases and/or machinery. Personally, I love both cases on the three hander and chronograph. I would like to see them get away from the Miyota 90S5 though. While it is a very capable movement, it just does not feel like a $1800 watch should feel.

·
Registered
846 Posts
The case on the Tokyo classic three hander is wonderful. The only thing I would change would be some drilled lugs to make it easier to change straps. Stating the obvious here, but the chronograph case could really do with slimming down. I own the reverse panda myself and love the compact feel, but switching to a manual wind and shaving off a few mm would take it to the next level.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I love the Toki color and I am really contemplating buying one if no problem with the ordering process. My two concerns are the size and the movement. I have differently sized watches, but I from my wearing pattern I've come to understand that those below 40mm rarely find wrist time. Dress watches stay mainly in the watch boxes too. My wrist is 7.25 and not very big, but 37 is a vintage size and wears too small for my taste. And Miyota on a 1800$ + EU VAT watch is ridiculous to be honest. I own other 9xxx series and they are OK, but I really hate the one direction winding and the spinning sound in the opposite one. The accuracy does not bother me, but the watch is too expensive for its movement. I understand that the price is well deserved considering the design and execution, but nonetheless I find Miyota a grate misbalance in a watch of such class. So I have 4 days to ponder upon the purchase :)

·
Registered
846 Posts
I love the Toki color and I am really contemplating buying one if no problem with the ordering process. My two concerns are the size and the movement. I have differently sized watches, but I from my wearing pattern I've come to understand that those below 40mm rarely find wrist time. Dress watches stay mainly in the watch boxes too. My wrist is 7.25 and not very big, but 37 is a vintage size and wears too small for my taste. And Miyota on a 1800$ + EU VAT watch is ridiculous to be honest. I own other 9xxx series and they are OK, but I really hate the one direction winding and the spinning sound in the opposite one. The accuracy does not bother me, but the watch is too expensive for its movement. I understand that the price is well deserved considering the design and execution, but nonetheless I find Miyota a grate misbalance in a watch of such class. So I have 4 days to ponder upon the purchase :)
Understand your reservations concerning size and movement. The price however is a non-issue as going on past history it will double or triple its value after orders close at 23:10 JST.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Understand your reservations concerning size and movement. The price however is a non-issue as going on past history it will double or triple its value after orders close at 23:10 JST.
Past releases were always number limited, this one is time limited and I suppose Toki numbers could easily exceed 1000 or even 2000, which will not propel its future price as much and exactly that is the purpose of those 10 minutes :) Plus I really do not intend to sell the watch if I snag one, I really love the way it looks.

21 - 40 of 355 Posts