WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
I would definitely prefer a percentage battery meter over the current L/M/H.
I don't understand why would Casio choose the latter, in spite the fact that even in the owners manual it says that the LMH are actually representing 5 different levels of charge from 1(high) to 5(low).
Was it really such a problem for Casio to use a % bar?

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
A side bar that functions like a power reserve on an automatic would be cool:-!

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
While I would personally LIKE a more detailed "charge meter" than "high, medium, low" and "charge NOW" I suspect that it would cost slightly more per watch. Because of variances between batteries, there might even be some that would never go to (or above) 99%, leading to even more panicked and worried customers, or IF one watch's battery didn't charge or deplete in a completely linear fashion.

This forum (and probably Casio customer service) would be inundated with questions like "the first few times I used my new G-Shock's light, the battery meter dropped 1% for every five button presses. Now it's dropping 1% for every FOUR button presses -- what do I do and/or what's wrong with my watch?!" and probably a LOT of "I was outside today for x hours and have never read the owner's manual, so why isn't it on 100%? Well, the sun was out for part of the time, but I guess you'd call it 'partly cloudy.' Yes, I was playing golf and riding in a cart with a roof, and then spent a few hours under the patio umbrella at the clubhouse, but I WAS OUTSIDE! Is my watch defective? Do I need to send it back?" :-d

We already get enough stupid questions like that -- does Casio really want MORE of them?

Casio has been doing their charge meters this way for years, they're probably not going to change it, and they probably did it for a reason. The fuel tanks in most cars read "full, 3/4, 1/2, 1/4 and E" and most of us don't have a problem with that -- is anybody petitioning Ford to start using percentages instead?

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
I sent some suggestions to CASIO, not sure if they read my messages though...
Now I'm actually curious as to what your suggestions were. "One or more all-digital GPS models" or "percentage meters instead of H/M/L" might at least get some sort of response.

If you were suggesting a WWVB radio transmitter in every state in the US or that all six currently broadcasting countries use the same frequency, they probably laughed while ignoring any good suggestions.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now I'm actually curious as to what your suggestions were. "One or more all-digital GPS models" or "percentage meters instead of H/M/L" might at least get some sort of response.

If you were suggesting a WWVB radio transmitter in every state in the US or that all six currently broadcasting countries use the same frequency, they probably laughed while ignoring any good suggestions.

I didn't ask for anything that is outside of their control....

GPS, Accelerometer instead of mechanical tilt switch (lots of complaints about it not working), digital compas, firmware upgradable, uploading of reminders and alarms, louder alarm, 3 second back light...

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
I didn't ask for anything that is outside of their control....

GPS, Accelerometer instead of mechanical tilt switch (lots of complaints about it not working), digital compas, firmware upgradable, uploading of reminders and alarms, louder alarm, 3 second back light...
Are you hoping for all of that in a "square" like the GW-M5610, or just all in one watch? :)

The complaints about the mechanical tilt switch seem to be far, FAR fewer these days, which suggests that Casio either fixed the problem OR they had a bad batch of switches which they either used up or replaced.

MANY G-Shocks feature a digital compass, but not the model that you bought. Casio is unlikely to add compasses to all of their models due to the additional cost AND because it would cut into sales of models that DO have a compass.

Many G's also feature user-settable backlights of either 1.5 OR 3 seconds, which WOULD be nice to see implemented in all future models. It's a feature that's on most of my solar/atomic models so it looks like you just picked one of the few models without it. :-(

Also... Sapphire instead of mineral glass...
Everybody claims they want sapphire crystals because they reduce glare and make watches easier to read, BUT sapphire is apparently more liable to break than mineral glass, which is why Casio picked mineral glass for watches that were designed to survive a 10 meter fall.

If we could have glare- AND shatter-resistant in one reasonably priced crystal that would be ideal, but since Casio apparently can't create that, they chose "durability" over "sapphire" in all but the highest-end models.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are you hoping for all of that in a "square" like the GW-M5610, or just all in one watch? :)

The complaints about the mechanical tilt switch seem to be far, FAR fewer these days, which suggests that Casio either fixed the problem OR they had a bad batch of switches which they either used up or replaced.

MANY G-Shocks feature a digital compass, but not the model that you bought. Casio is unlikely to add compasses to all of their models due to the additional cost AND because it would cut into sales of models that DO have a compass.

Many G's also feature user-settable backlights of either 1.5 OR 3 seconds, which WOULD be nice to see implemented in all future models. It's a feature that's on most of my solar/atomic models so it looks like you just picked one of the few models without it. :-(

Everybody claims they want sapphire crystals because they reduce glare and make watches easier to read, BUT sapphire is apparently more liable to break than mineral glass, which is why Casio picked mineral glass for watches that were designed to survive a 10 meter fall.

If we could have glare- AND shatter-resistant in one reasonably priced crystal that would be ideal, but since Casio apparently can't create that, they chose "durability" over "sapphire" in all but the highest-end models.

I would like them to add these things to the GW-M5610

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
I would like them to add these things to the GW-M5610
Sorry, but that's never going to happen, especially not AS the "GW-M5610." :-(

If they were going to produce a "square" with a compass, they probably would have done it by now.

A square with sapphire? That might happen with a Bluetooth model, along with firmware and programmable updates and alarms since they all of those features appeal to "cubicle warriors," but I can pretty much guarantee "sapphire" is never going to happen in a mass produced square G-Shock package, let alone WITH a compass.

GPS in a square? A lot of people are hoping, so that might actually happen. :-!

I don't even want to know how you think they can implement an accelerometer to do the job of a basic switch, especially at a similar price point, that's going to turn on the light after a series of very specific motions and WON'T turn the light on after most other motions. We want the light to come on when we angle our wrist a certain way, not every time we swing our arm. Since the basic switch does the job inexpensively, that's probably not going to be replaced. (For that matter, how many other companies even OFFER an automatic backlight? A fast Google suggests "not many" and "certainly not in many models." Casio is already king of that particular hill, so I wouldn't expect any changes unless someone else comes up with something MUCH better.)

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry, but that's never going to happen, especially not AS the "GW-M5610." :-(

If they were going to produce a "square" with a compass, they probably would have done it by now.

A square with sapphire? That might happen with a Bluetooth model, along with firmware and programmable updates and alarms since they all of those features appeal to "cubicle warriors," but I can pretty much guarantee "sapphire" is never going to happen in a mass produced square G-Shock package, let alone WITH a compass.

GPS in a square? A lot of people are hoping, so that might actually happen. :-!

I don't even want to know how you think they can implement an accelerometer to do the job of a basic switch, especially at a similar price point, that's going to turn on the light after a series of very specific motions and WON'T turn the light on after most other motions. We want the light to come on when we angle our wrist a certain way, not every time we swing our arm. Since the basic switch does the job inexpensively, that's probably not going to be replaced. (For that matter, how many other companies even OFFER an automatic backlight? A fast Google suggests "not many" and "certainly not in many models." Casio is already king of that particular hill, so I wouldn't expect any changes unless someone else comes up with something MUCH better.)

GPS feature alone would satisfy me. Why not use accelerometer instead of G sensor... My phone uses it to orient videos. To identify intentional wrist movement vs shock, there can be a debouncing algorithm.. g sensors are very cheap. Maybe even cheaper than the mechanical version... a LOT of people complained that the Auto EL does not work. I don't care though since i don't like it.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Why not use accelerometer instead of G sensor... My phone uses it to orient videos. To identify intentional wrist movement vs shock, there can be a debouncing algorithm.. g sensors are very cheap. Maybe even cheaper than the mechanical version... a LOT of people complained that the Auto EL does not work. I don't care though since i don't like it.
I have no idea how inexpensive g sensors are, but I'm guessing that Casio finds the simple "tilt switch" to be cheaper -- AND they don't have to pay anybody to calculate algorithms for them. :)

As I mentioned above, yes, a lot of people COMPLAINED -- past tense -- about defective auto EL switches, and because of the number of complaints Amazon briefly stopped selling that watch. For whatever reason, the problem was apparently fixed by Casio, Amazon is once again selling the watch, and while there is currently ONE complaint on the first page of recent reviews about the Auto EL switch, the number of complaints has dropped significantly. (Considering the apparent stupidity of half of Amazon's reviewers, there's no way to tell how many of those switches actually WERE faulty! Were the people trying to use the feature IN THE DARK, since the solar panel recognizes light and won't let the auto EL turn on in a bright room? Was the Auto EL mode actually turned on, or were people just randomly tilting their wrist while that mode was "off"?)

The tilt switches are working again, Casio has been using them in MANY of their other models without any problems at all, and continuing to use them is almost surely cheaper than sourcing new parts and then trying to fit them into an existing watch.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts