WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read from several threads here on WUS from owners of Dornblüth watches of the 42mm size say the L2L is around 51mm.

Does anyone know what the L2L is for their medium size cases (40mm)?
Like this one in particular, the 99.1 medium i'm interested:

The lugs "look" long in the photos so it makes me wonder....

I've pinged Dornblueth but they are quite busy these days so no official answer yet.
Many thanks in advance for anyone who knows.
Cheers!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have read from several threads here on WUS from owners of Dornblüth watches of the 42mm size say the L2L is around 51mm.

Does anyone know what the L2L is for their medium size cases (40mm)?
Like this one in particular, the 99.1 medium i'm interested:
The L2L for their 42mm 99.1 size is ~52mm, while the 40mm 99.1M is ~50mm.

·
Registered
806 Posts
En_Nissen had a pic of the 40 mm case dimensions.

Reactions: En_Nissen

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
En_Nissan had a pic of the 40 mm case dimensions.

View attachment 15543801
Many thanks! glad to see it's a 20mm lug width/strap.
I'm thinking between this and the Stowa Marine Original (but it has a 22mm lug width which i don't like). The Marine Original too has a 50mm lug to lug. But i love the Dornblueth and leaning towards this medium one....

the big question is whether i can wear a 50mm lug to lug. my wrist is basically 50mm across (on a 6.5" wrist). I see in your signature that you have a 99.2 medium on order? May i ask what your wrist dimensions are?

·
Registered
806 Posts
My wrists are "usually" 7.25" inches. 50mm lug-to-lug is the max for me; I could probably wear a 52mm lug-to-lug but I wouldn't feel comfortable with that size.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My wrists are "usually" 7.25" inches. 50mm lug-to-lug is the max for me; I could probably wear a 52mm lug-to-lug but I wouldn't feel comfortable with that size.
realistically 48mm lug to lug is the max I should go. 50mm lug to lug is probably too wide for me. Sigh

·
Registered
390 Posts
This is a really helpful thread--and it gets at the same thing I was wondering (about the L2L for the medium cases from Dornbluth). 50mm is really pushing it for me, though maybe with a strap (vs. braceleted watches) it can work.

It does make me wonder if their 38.5 mm case might be better for me. Does anyone know the L2L for that case?

Thanks,
C

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
This is a really helpful thread--and it gets at the same thing I was wondering (about the L2L for the medium cases from Dornbluth). 50mm is really pushing it for me, though maybe with a strap (vs. braceleted watches) it can work.

It does make me wonder if their 38.5 mm case might be better for me. Does anyone know the L2L for that case?

Thanks,
C
if you look on watchbuys.com, the only USA dealer for dornblueth, their 38.5 Quintus models say 48mm for the lug to lug. 48mm is the absolute max for me. Unfortunately the Quintus being their in house movement costs way more than the 99.x series. :(

·
Registered
259 Posts

Thanks,
C
L2L on the quintus case is 48mm.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Thank you dinkerson and Jonathan T: 48 would be manageable for me, but the jump in price is also something to consider. I'd rather go with the 40mm: wish there were a way to try one on!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you dinkerson and Jonathan T: 48 would be manageable for me, but the jump in price is also something to consider. I'd rather go with the 40mm: wish there were a way to try one on!
my seamaster 42mm is 48mm L2L. that’s how I know that is my max I think. Ishould try a 50mm L2L watch somewhere to confirm if it will not fit me actually. What I like about the dornbluth 40mm case is they still keep the lug width to 20mm. Whereas a similar watch like the 41mm stowa marine original uses a 22mm lug on theirs. 22mm strap would makethe watch wear even bigger and I don’t like 22mm on my smaller wrist

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have a fairly small wrist too (around 16cm in circumference), and the L2L size of the medium case was a worry for me as well.

In the end I decided to stop worrying about such small measurement differences, since I have 48mm L2L watches that fit fine.
You only really notice 2mm difference of lugs on pictures taken with a short focal length (a phone camera), you don't really see it when you look down at your wrist.

I have a 41mm cased (49.1 L2L) watch, and while it has some wrist presence, it doesn't actually look too big on my wrist. It would take a decent amount more length for any lug overhang to occur.

Now, that doesn't mean I don't care about the size, if it wasn't for the price difference I'd still prefer a 38 (48) sized watch, but it doesn't make THAT big a difference to me.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a fairly small wrist too (around 16cm in circumference), and the L2L size of the medium case was a worry for me as well.

In the end I decided to stop worrying about such small measurement differences, since I have 48mm L2L watches that fit fine.
You only really notice 2mm difference of lugs on pictures taken with a short focal length (a phone camera), you don't really see it when you look down at your wrist.

I have a 41mm cased (49.1 L2L) watch, and while it has some wrist presence, it doesn't actually look too big on my wrist. It would take a decent amount more length for any lug overhang to occur.

Now, that doesn't mean I don't care about the size, if it wasn't for the price difference I'd still prefer a 38 (48) sized watch, but it doesn't make THAT big a difference to me.
thanks. Great now you’re making me rethink the Dornbluth haha. Tim from Dornbluth just replied to me with the price list info for the 99.1 medium and the new 99.6 moon phase which are both 40mm cases. 😅😅😅

·
Registered
806 Posts
I've worked with Tim O. as well and found him responsive and patient with all my questions. I was also torn with the 99.6 but knew I wouldn't wear the watch daily so having to reset the moon-phase would get to me. 😅

·
Registered
200 Posts
I've worked with Tim O. as well and found him responsive and patient with all my questions. I was also torn with the 99.6 but knew I wouldn't wear the watch daily so having to reset the moon-phase would get to me. 😅
this was my thinking exactly. I love the look of the moon phase, but I am also REALLY lazy and the thoughtof setting it all the time was just too much

·
Registered
306 Posts
this was my thinking exactly. I love the look of the moon phase, but I am also REALLY lazy and the thoughtof setting it all the time was just too much
Yeah, I was so drawn to the Moonphase as well, but manual winding watches don't pair too well with calendar complications.

I was also discouraged by the fairly high price premium of the Moonphase. I know it's with an engraved dial by default, but even so, it's considerably more expensive than their more basic 99 models.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This is very true. I've always wanted a mooonphase but it would pain me to spend so much on one and not wear it all the time. If i pull the trigger, i will go with the 99.1 medium.

I'm just going through the mental exercise of convincing myself that for my first and only Marine watch, I would be happier with the Dornbluth than getting a Stowa marine original. Since both are same L2L size of 50mm, I'm asking myself why would i not be satisfied with the Stowa. :p
I dislike the 22mm lug width/strap for the Stowa and like that the Dornbluth 40mm case is a 20mm lug.
The finishing on the 99.1 movement of course is in a class of its own and Stowa can't compare.....

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
for those of you with Dornbluth watches or just ordered one, did any of you get an engraved dial - either brass or ceramic? the engraved looks lovely. i assume the ceramic (enamel) will be more expensive. i know they mixed their enamel with stuff to make it more durable as enamel is brittle but i'm still freaked out cuz i do drop watches. i know, i know. i gotta be more careful. i probably don't deserve enamel haha.

·
Registered
306 Posts
for those of you with Dornbluth watches or just ordered one, did any of you get an engraved dial - either brass or ceramic? the engraved looks lovely. i assume the ceramic (enamel) will be more expensive. i know they mixed their enamel with stuff to make it more durable as enamel is brittle but i'm still freaked out cuz i do drop watches. i know, i know. i gotta be more careful. i probably don't deserve enamel haha.
Ceramic is slightly more expensive than engraved brass dial, and both engraved dials are considerably more expensive than the "standard" printed dials.

First things first, ceramic is not the same as enamel. Both are brittle, though.

But generally I wouldn't worry too much about it. It takes quite a bit to crack a dial, and if you drop it hard enough to crack the dial, the rest of the watch probably needs a service too.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts