WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is a little historical reminder that might interest some members :

La Spirotechnique is a French company specialized in the manufacturing of scuba diving equipments

La spirotechnique is born from a famous invention : the very first regulator for scuba : in 1942 Jacques Yves Cousteau meet the engineer Emille Gagnan and they discuss about the possibility to manufacture a regulator for diving , Emille Gagnan was working for "L'air Liquide" a French company specialized in compressed gas

From this meeting the very first scuba regulator was born the the GC 45 : based of a regulator primarly designed .. for trucks powered with gas !

The first dives where acheived in the south of France by Jacques Yves Cousteau , Frederic Dumas and Yves Taillez , in 1943 Georges Commeinhes reach the depth of 53 meters , 3 month after Frédéric Dumas reach 62 meters

At the end of WWII L'air Liquide decided to support Cousteau and Gagnan wich have patended the regulator : La Spirotechnique was born : today it is still a subsidiary of L'air Liquide but since 2003 La Spirotechnique change their name for "Aqualung" (Aqualung was the name of the regulator in the patent dated 1945)

La Spirotechnique is also known in the US with their other subsidiary : US diver

La Spirotechnique rapidly grow in the 60s manufacturing the very famous "Mistral" regulator

Here is the Mistral of my collection a very early one : serial number 8794 (and for the curious ones : YES I have dived several times with it and I even learn scuba with this regulator)

La Spirotechnique have manufactured a very large number of suba equipment including regulators, fins, instruments, marks , suits ... but also cameras : la spirotechnique is known to have manufactured the very first waterproff camera : the Calypso Fot , later the sold the patent of this camera to Nikon who built the Nikonos on thoses patents

for the divers among us I just remind the actual website of aqualung : http://www.aqualung.com

now let us go back to watches , la spirotechnique in order to increase their offer of instruments have commisoned various watch manufacturers the very first watch to have the Spirotechnique logo was the "Triton" made by the French manufacturer Dodane :

Then La Spirotechnique sign an agreement with Doxa for the distribution of their watches in the US under the name of La Spirotechnique US subsidiary : US divers :

(picture credit of doxa300T.com)

one Doxa model was also sold under the Spirotechnique name :

The Squale Spirotechnique : one of the first watch rated 1000 meters :

The TAG Spirotechnique :

and finally the Auricoste Spirotechnique , made for the French military scuba divers (but do also exist in civilian version)

you probably now could understand why La Spirotechnique fully deserve its advertising sentence : "First to Dive !"

to finish this article I would like to share with you some of my other Spirotechnique equipments :

A tripack with the Mistral regulator :

A depthmeter :

a compass :

and a waterproof flashlight

I hope you'll like this little article
cheers
JM

·
Registered
493 Posts
Thanks for sharing, that was very interesting

·
Registered
388 Posts
I'm glad you gave that background b/c I was not aware of Spirotechnique's important part in diving history - and that they are the parent of US Divers! Fascinating.

Do you know if there are any divers currently in production that bear the Spirotechnique or AquaLung name and logo?

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lane said:
I'm glad you gave that background b/c I was not aware of Spirotechnique's important part in diving history - and that they are the parent of US Divers! Fascinating.

Do you know if there are any divers currently in production that bear the Spirotechnique or AquaLung name and logo?
you are welcome thanks for your comment

Your are right to point out that many divers think that "US divers" or "Aqualung" are American companies ;-) ...

There is only one watch still available with the Spirotechnique logo : the Auricoste Spirotechnique , the watch is available directly at the manufacturer but I doubt they export their watches : you might PM me if you want to know more about it

to my best knowledge Aqualung have never commisionned any watches , I I do not know any with the Aqualung logo

cheers
JM

1 - 12 of 12 Posts