WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi WUS, been pointed here by another community as I was told you guys would have a better knowledge on this.

If a dial does not have this line at the bottom, is there a possibility that its legit?

Im looking to purchase this 1950s Soviet Mayak (far left), but it lacks the "Made in CCCP"(?) mark that other examples of this model have (middle and right)

anyone have any idea? the seller assured me everything(case, dial, movement, hands, crystal) is original. I have looked through the photos and everything checks out except this small detail, hence my hesitation.

il_1140xN.1812688852_sll3.jpg
Any help would be greatly appreciated, and thank you in advance.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Hi WUS, been pointed here by another community as I was told you guys would have a better knowledge on this.

If a dial does not have this line at the bottom, is there a possibility that its legit?

Im looking to purchase this 1950s Soviet Mayak (far left), but it lacks the "Made in CCCP"(?) mark that other examples of this model have (middle and right)

anyone have any idea? the seller assured me everything(case, dial, movement, hands, crystal) is original. I have looked through the photos and everything checks out except this small detail, hence my hesitation.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and thank you in advance.
It's all good, the Сделано в СССР (Made in USSR) writing appeared at a later stage, it is first seen on the Vinogradov catalog from 1960.
The Watch & Parts catalog from 1957 still shows dials bearing only, when applicable, the indication of the specific factory and not of the Country of manufacture.

Pity that you didn't post a pic of the movement, it would have been better to check that everything is OK on the inside, too.
Anyway, this is what you should expect to see (sample photo):
- 1МЧЗ diamond logo
- presence of a datestamp in the format Q-YY
- ГС1МЧЗ on the drum wheel
- continuity of the striping on bridges.
Serial number is not relevant.

s-l1600.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anyway look at the perfect graphics, especially the feature of the 9 and 4.
Looks like a re-dial to me?
Yea that was a bit of my own misgivings as well. At first I was extremely pleasantly surprised to see such a good condition, especially going by estimates this would be a ~70 yo watch by now. But some parts, especially the hands look very mint, there is very little discolouration on the dial as well. Theres another angle and it is clear there is no marking. (see below)

It's all good, the Сделано в СССР (Made in USSR) writing appeared at a later stage, it is first seen on the Vinogradov catalog from 1960.
The Watch & Parts catalog from 1957 still shows dials bearing only, when applicable, the indication of the specific factory and not of the Country of manufacture.
Pity that you didn't post a pic of the movement, it would have been better to check that everything is OK on the inside, too.
Anyway, this is what you should expect to see
Here is a scan from a catalog supposedly from 1960, it appears to be your model. There doesn't appear to be any country of manufacture markings.
THANK YOU both so, so much for the resources, the picture of movement and the catalog as well. If I could give multiple likes I would. It has assuaged most of my hesitation.
The seller did not have a picture of the movement on show, but upon correspondence he provided a pic of it. It is somewhat blurry but it seems to be accurate.
I have attached another pic of the front and movement below. I will likely pull the trigger soonish.

il_1140xN.1812689000_trnl.jpg

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Mayak by 1MChZ. All is good. I think the watch is authentic. Lume on the hands was replaced though.
is it too pristine/colour is off? Im not well versed in vintage pieces, in fact this will be my 1st
If the question is about the lume on the hands: yes, too clean and too light colored. Not matching the darker lume on the dial. Regardless, still think if is a good copy and nicely done slight restoration. Just my 2c.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If the question is about the lume on the hands: yes, too clean and too light colored. Not matching the darker lume on the dial. Regardless, still think if is a good copy and nicely done slight restoration. Just my 2c.
lol now Im having doubts again. And I'll feel bad as I told the guy to reserve it for me for the time being. I'll have to mull over it.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts

Anyway, this is what you should expect to see (sample photo):
- 1МЧЗ diamond logo
- presence of a datestamp in the format Q-YY
- ГС1МЧЗ on the drum wheel
- continuity of the striping on bridges.
Serial number is not relevant.

View attachment 15237725
My Gagarin has the older movement with the "pill" or oval shaped screw in captive jewel which helped me source the right Sportivnie, neither the Gagarin or the Sportivnie have "Made in" and the Russian chap I got my Sportivnie from, on hearing my woes said the Sportivnie movement is in very good order with the dial being terribly degraded leading to him selling it off. Kept going by his uncle who was a watch repairer in his town so has some servicing in its past and likely will end up being transplanted into the Gagarin if the Gagarin doesn't work.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts