WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine has a vintage pocket watch with Lackawanna 17 Jewels on the face, but it's not clear who the manufacturer is even after I examined the movement. The dial is white with European-style black numbers (therefore could be from a Swiss manufacturer), the hands are full moon-style and the case has a streamlined steam engine on the back in high relief. A Google search didn't turn up anything useful. Any help with further identification would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
9,654 Posts
Hi -

Pictures are a huge, huge, huge help. We loooove pictures. :) As a matter of fact, it's almost impossible to identify even a watch from a mainstream manufacturer with any certainty if you don't have a picture.

JohnF

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
It seems to me I remember seeing one like this before. I think it might be a Russian Molniya but I can't be sure. Could you please give us a larger picture of the movement. Thanks.

·
Registered
18,175 Posts
I think you are right about the country of origin... and the dial appears not to have 'Swiss Made' at the bottom.

I'm suspect there is not much age on this watch. Production of similar watches has been fairly high in former Soviet Union countries lately. Ebay has been flooded with them. As low as they are selling, they have to be bargains if they run for more than a year or two...

·
Registered
23,771 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It sure looks like the same train on the case (being a railfan too I'm going to do some research on that model), and I too have seen them more than once. I don't have pictures of the movement, although it looked pretty generic and was not marked with a manufacturer or country of origin - good point about not being marked "swiss made". Thanks for all of your help.

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
Looks like a 4-8-2 Mountain loco to me.

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
19,132 Posts
The Molniya 3602/3603 (without/with shockproofing on the balance) calibres are copies of the old Cortebert 526 or 530 PW calibre series. They are - unlike what is stated in the one in the eBay link! - anything but rare and choicy and you get them rather cheaply. In Germany, the Molniya 3602/3603 is a favourite calibre for weekend watchmaking tuition courses. It is very common but should not be sniffed at - it is a sturdy movement, capable of keeping excellent time and is often equipped with things like Breguet hairpspring, balance wheel with temperature screws and extra capping on the escapement wheel. If you like the looks of the watch (and some versions do look awfully kitschy!), it is one of the best buys for that sort of money you can make.

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
18,175 Posts
Looks like a 4-8-2 Mountain loco to me.
Yes it does... but the front end appears to be set up as a yard pusher -- something you would never use a monster like a 4-8-2 to do.

Somewhere there are people who can id this as well as John can a Gruen ... but somehow I doubt they will be reading WUS Vintage ;-)

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
Definitely European style with those round hydraulic car bumpers so common on the locomotive. Saw pics of some French 4-8-2s with the smoke deflector (similar to what's on the watch case) in my textbooks on international trains.
CN had a number of Mountains (6000 series) but CP stuck to the Mikes for heavy freight.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Russia's BMZ made a number of locos, this could be a P36 with 482 wheel configuration. Did Molnija make watches for export?

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
19,132 Posts
Oh yes, loads - see them on flea markets in Germany everywhere. Some have non-cyryllic writing so they must have been made with the intention to export. Don't see them in high-class stores, though.....

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
3 Posts
|>
Here you go....
Well, Whattyaknow.... That looks jus' like the watch I jus' got... Surly thos extra accurate watches made for the railroad folk wouldn't be so crass as to put a locomotove in relief on the back. That's kinda sophomoric BUT I unnerstan that the watchworks are as dependable an any other 17 jeweled movement. Boy, I sure hope so. 'sides... the gold toned white openface is really neat. The face on mine isn't as faded as yourn yet, but the rest of that one in the pichur is a dead-ringer for the one I jus' bought.

My wifey is conserned that where I werk might get suspicious if/when I show up with a ROOSHIN pocket watch. 8-? Hardly ... Anyhoo... Come the holidays, this will be a swell addition to my costume.

Noah 8-?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here's a version I have - same loco/tender on the caseback. Monlija cal. 3602. This one was made in 1997.
|> Wow, Mine has only the name Lacawanna... no special logos nor insignias .... an' it ain't arrove yet. It's one of thos Ebay bargins....

Say, ya don't suppose these Rooshians mighta made knockoffs of the rectangular watches of the thirties and forties with the little second hand at the 6:00 o'clock position, do you?

Now THAT would REALLY be sumptin.

We gotta 1930's fone in ghe living room - - - that works! Thing is.... I'd actually kinda like to put in an innerface between it an' the regular hard line so's I can use its pulses as tones when necessary. Oh, they make 'em but I don't remember seeing jus' a stand-alone interface box.... by itself, that is.

The older lifestyle fits right in with the pocket watch.... but that relief on the back - - - - - well, it looks so - oh - K-Martish?

Noah 8-?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts