WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was fortunate enough to spend about a month with two beautiful blue watches (Laco Augsburg and Laco Münster) from the Laco catalog. My plan was to make a detailed comparison between the Original Series (~$1190) and the Basic Series (~$400). Here are some of my thoughts:

Comparison Video:

Detailed Write-up:

A quick summary:

1. Basic vs Original:

The original series has retained a lot of the original flieger design specifications - lugs, caseback, dial layout. The basic series have taken more creative liberties and added a bit more flare to the watches with curved lugs, a brand logo and an exhibition caseback.

2. Case:

The quality of finishing on both cases are surprisingly identical. The materials are media blasted with different media (according to Laco), but I couldn't really tell the difference. The Münster feels a bit heavier, but I'm not sure how much of that is due to the case. The case designs are quite different, with curved lugs on the Augsburg instead of straight lugs on the Münster. There's also an exhibition caseback on the Augsburg, whereas the Münster has the flieger 'certificate' engraved on the back, along with the flieger serial number engraved on the sides. The quality of the crystal on the Münster appears to be of a better quality than the Augsburg. The crowns are different too, and I prefer the conical crown on the Münster. It's larger, and feels a bit more authentic.

3. Dial:

The base dial, hour markers and finishing are almost identical. This caught me by surprise because I was expecting the Augsburg to be a little more unrefined up close. But the dial on the Augsburg is gorgeous, and excellently finished. The hands on the Augsburg are not thermally blued like on the Münster, but that's not a surprise considering the price difference. They're both Type A dials, but the Augsburg has a logo and 'Made in Germany' at the 6 o'clock, which makes it less of an 'authentic flieger'.

4. Lume:

The Augsburg (left) and Münster (right) are nearly identical, but the Augsburg might actually win this round by a tiny margin. It seems to be just a little brighter.

5. Movement:

Things obviously part ways here, with the Münster's ETA2892-2 elabore averaging at roughly +2 spd, and the Augsburg's Miyota 821A at roughly -18 spd.

6. Wrist Shots:
On my 6.25" wrist, the 39mm Augsburg might look just a little more well proportioned compared to the 42mm Münster, but I enjoyed wearing the Münster a bit more than I did the Augsburg.

Thanks for reading/watching. I'm happy to discuss these watches further here.

:coffee:

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
I've owned two 42 mm Blaue Stunde variants, an Augsburg and an Aachen. I've greatly enjoyed the vibrant blue dial of both. My only minor complaint about these watches is the lack of anti-reflective coating on the underside of the crystal, which can occasionally inhibit legibility. Do you find the Münster to be better in this category, compared to the Augsburg?

·
Premium Member
28,614 Posts
I was fortunate enough to spend about a month with two beautiful blue watches (Laco Augsburg and Laco Münster) from the Laco catalog.

1. Basic vs Original:

2. Case:

3. Dial:

They're both Type B dials, but the Augsburg has a logo and 'Made in Germany' at the 6 o'clock, which makes it less of an 'authentic flieger'.

5. Movement:

Things obviously part ways here, with the Münster's ETA2892-2 elabore averaging at roughly +2 spd, and the Augsburg's Miyota 821A at roughly -18 spd.

Thanks for reading/watching. I'm happy to discuss these watches further here.
:
Very nice write up @singularityseven and it’s an enjoyable read. Always good to have watch comparison threads because we can’t always buy two watches of seemingly similar aesthetics.

I agree that the case finishing is nearly identical and some members here have even asked the question of value of buying the original over the basic. That is testament to the quality of the watch they produce.

I just have a few points:
  • your write up says the dial is a Type B but I thought it’s a Type A?
  • would have been nice if you timed the lume to see how long they last before illumination levels dropped off significantly
  • also, the -18 s/day for the Miyota is out of character for the Laco since their website states -10/+20

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've owned two 42 mm Blaue Stunde variants, an Augsburg and an Aachen. I've greatly enjoyed the vibrant blue dial of both. My only minor complaint about these watches is the lack of anti-reflective coating on the underside of the crystal, which can occasionally inhibit legibility. Do you find the Münster to be better in this category, compared to the Augsburg?
Ah yes, I didn't make a note of that in this review but I mentioned it in my review of the Münster. The AR coating on the Münster seems to be much better. Under almost all conditions the glass is quite literally crystal clear!

Very nice write up @singularityseven and it’s an enjoyable read. Always good to have watch comparison threads because we can’t always buy two watches of seemingly similar aesthetics.

I agree that the case finishing is nearly identical and some members here have even asked the question of value of buying the original over the basic. That is testament to the quality of the watch they produce.

I just have a few points:
  • your write up says the dial is a Type B but I thought it’s a Type A?
  • would have been nice if you timed the lume to see how long they last before illumination levels dropped off significantly
  • also, the -18 s/day for the Miyota is out of character for the Laco since their website states -10/+20
1. Thanks for catching that. That's definitely a typo on my part.

2. Yeah, I've been asked on more than one occasion to include longer lume clips in my video reviews. Usually I do 2-3 minutes, sped up 6x. I think this one was about 2 minutes.

3. Yeah the performance of the Miyota was a bit strange. If you read my written review, you'll notice that I first observed about -18spd. But during my second run, a week later, it seemed to have been behaving much more reasonably (-8 spd). I'm not entirely sure what caused the weird performance when it first arrived :unsure:

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Ah yes, I didn't make a note of that in this review but I mentioned it in my review of the Münster. The AR coating on the Münster seems to be much better. Under almost all conditions the glass is quite literally crystal clear!
Thanks! I've frequently considered updating to either a Münster or a Paderborn for that very reason. Fortunately, all of my Lacos with the Miyota 821A movement have been acceptably accurate, and always on the + side of the equation.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Awesome production value! Seriously, well done with the video and shots. I'm looking into the taupe Augsburg but the only thing holding me back is the miyota movement... I was also confused as the 821A has a date complication. Someone told me that Laco modded this so that there's no phantom date step on the crown, but I don't see how that's possible. Do you know anything about this?

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Awesome production value! Seriously, well done with the video and shots. I'm looking into the taupe Augsburg but the only thing holding me back is the miyota movement... I was also confused as the 821A has a date complication. Someone told me that Laco modded this so that there's no phantom date step on the crown, but I don't see how that's possible. Do you know anything about this?
I have an Augsburg 42 with the newer hacking version 821A and can confirm it has phantom date step on the crown.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have an Augsburg 42 with the newer hacking version 821A and can confirm it has phantom date step on the crown.
Thanks for the response! Does knowing that there's a date wheel under the dial, that the watch clicks at midnight, and that there's an extra step in the crown that sits unused bother you at all? To me, knowing that the 'wrong' movement was used feels like a design oversight, as though it shouldn't be there.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Thanks for the response! Does knowing that there's a date wheel under the dial, that the watch clicks at midnight, and that there's an extra step in the crown that sits unused bother you at all? To me, knowing that the 'wrong' movement was used feels like a design oversight, as though it shouldn't be there.
No, it doesn’t bother me. I’m more bothered that it runs slow vs fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,403 Posts
Great review as always!

And I just happened to stumble over these today.

I must say Laco has my attention with the basic pilot watch series. Seems a great value from a genuine heritage flieger.

Mulling over the blue. But hard to say what size would be best for my 6.75” wrist. I do enjoy a nice compact 39mm, but fliegers look good a bit large too, so the 42 would probably also be fine.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Great review as always!

And I just happened to stumble over these today.

I must say Laco has my attention with the basic pilot watch series. Seems a great value from a genuine heritage flieger.

Mulling over the blue. But hard to say what size would be best for my 6.75” wrist. I do enjoy a nice compact 39mm, but fliegers look good a bit large too, so the 42 would probably also be fine.
I prefer the 39mm. The quality on these watches is quite impressive. The dial alone is perfection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Ah Mr. Swain, we meet again. Still got my yellow Scurfa. ;)

If you order direct from Laco, you can specify a crystal with anti-reflective coating for an additional $60 USD. I would strongly recommend doing so -- it makes a huge difference. In the seven months since I posted in this thread, I sold my Blaue Stunde Augsburg and got a beautiful hand-wind Leipzig, also a Blaue Stunde. The AR coating really helps reduce reflections.

At 6.75 inches, I think the 39 mm would be a good choice over the 42. Fliegers tend to look bigger because of the lack of a bezel, and the nicely-turned down lugs hug the wrist for a very elegant fit. Laco is a great brand -- I've owned four now and have been really happy with the Blaue Stunde variants that bring a brighter case and that wonderful sunburst dial.

·
Registered
12,403 Posts
Thanks guys.

I will keep pondering and I think the 39 is probably the best bet, you’re right.

If I was to change one thing it love to see BGW9 lume used on the blue dial for crisp contrast. But that c3 sure does glow.

Another questions for those that have handled these...in real life does the blue dial have any warm purple tones? It can be really hard to tell from pics sometimes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts