WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Moderator at Large
54,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Topper Fine Jewelers just launched a limited edition of a Laco Flieger based on the ETA 6498 models (Cuxhaven, Bremerhaven) but with a completely different dial.

The eye catcher is a crisp white lacquer dial which is contrasted by heat-blued hands and hour markers – a configuration not previously available from Laco.

7D43A006-1414-4C41-B5BB-B81F1C80E01E.jpeg

The Topper Edition indeed features lovely blue indexes. To maximize the blue on the dial The applied steel hour markers are temperature blued, heated though.

This results in a perfect match of hands and hour markers, which - depending on the light - appear black or matte blue.

F5E809F2-FC06-4369-BA55-AECAC3011288.jpeg

Specs (according to Topper):

Manufacture: Germany

Dimensions: 42.5mm, with 22mm lugs (49.8mm lug-to-lug, 10.7mm thick)

Case: polished & brushed stainless steel, fitted with Sapphire crystal & caseback

Dial: heat-blued steel hour markers & hands filled with BG-W9 Superluminova

Water Resistance: 100 meters (10 atm)

Movement: Laco 98 (Swiss-made ETA 6498 base with Elaboré finishing), 17 jewels

Limited to 100 individually numbered pieces

AED7EF4D-292A-4B79-8487-044B567EF2D0.jpeg

·
Registered
299 Posts
That’s really nice looking, love the white with blued markers.

Reactions: pekshn89

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
I was this >< close to buying a Cuxhaven, but his Limited Edition flieger makes me seriously consider going with it instead. I have been looking for a white dial watch for some time and this one is really quite compelling. Thanks for letting us know about this one, Mike.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I was this >< close to buying a Cuxhaven, but his Limited Edition flieger makes me seriously consider going with it instead. I have been looking for a white dial watch for some time and this one is really quite compelling. Thanks for letting us know about this one, Mike.
I was there at the release event, and was with around 4-5 people that have already put down deposits (the event was much bigger than just the people right around me though). They're only doing 100, so there isn't much time if you're interested.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
The watch seems to be based on the ULM line offered by Laco for $1190.00. I understand the nature of pricing a limited release model higher than a standard edition. And I'm not going to suggest that the $700.00 premium is asking too much. I'm curious to hear what a more knowledgeable enthusiast thinks of the pricing though.

My initial thought is I'm very much interested in the watch. I've long wanted a sporty white-dialed watch on leather strap, but haven't found one that really sings to me. This dial definitely does. The blued hands and indices seem to be the biggest differentiator from the original. Must be a costly process. The movement is nicely decorated, but does not appear to be different from the standard model.

42mm comes close to hitting the sizing sweet spot for me, but is in sync with the sizing of other larger fieiger-style watches.

Well done, once again, Topper! One could have a pretty fantastic collection of only their special editions, which I believe are up to eight.

·
Vendor
15,121 Posts
Hi! Thanks so much for your response and this is indeed our eight L.E. You are right that the ULM is the starting point of this watch, and there is a substantial jump in price for this L.E. over the basic model. The main reason for the cost is the extensive R&D that Laco had to create the heat-blued indices. As they are much more three dimensional than the hands that are typically heat blued, Laco had a great deal of difficulty getting them consistent across the entire marker, and then to have 12 of them match each other, and in turn match the hands. I'm really looking forward to a few interviews we recorded this weekend (ABTW, Watchonista, Worn&Wound & TenntoTwo) where Sebastian Maziossek, Laco's head of sales describes the failure rate, and trials and tribulations involved with having heat blued raised indices that match the hands. This is a watch that only came out due to Laco's determination to bring this new combination to life.

The watch seems to be based on the ULM line offered by Laco for $1190.00. I understand the nature of pricing a limited release model higher than a standard edition. And I'm not going to suggest that the $700.00 premium is asking too much. I'm curious to hear what a more knowledgeable enthusiast thinks of the pricing though.

My initial thought is I'm very much interested in the watch. I've long wanted a sporty white-dialed watch on leather strap, but haven't found one that really sings to me. This dial definitely does. The blued hands and indices seem to be the biggest differentiator from the original. Must be a costly process. The movement is nicely decorated, but does not appear to be different from the standard model.

42mm comes close to hitting the sizing sweet spot for me, but is in sync with the sizing of other larger fieiger-style watches.

Well done, once again, Topper! One could have a pretty fantastic collection of only their special editions, which I believe are up to eight.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
A beauty!

White dial, 6498, 100m WR, heat-blued indices.......
Congrats Rob on another discerning L.E.!!

·
Vendor
15,121 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
This watch is a real stunner with some solid capabilities and a unique aesthetic. Congratulations to the Topper and Laco teams on a wonderful collaboration!

·
Vendor
381 Posts
First of all thank you for the several postings to our new LE flieger watch - we really appreciate your feedback here! :-!

I'm curious to hear what a more knowledgeable enthusiast thinks of the pricing though.
And of course we also want to try and explain why this limited edition is more costly than our "Ulm" for example from the standard collection. Thanks to @robattopper who already explained the most points.
The maily aspect are the costs for research and development of this project. There had been only a handful of watch brands who had applied the technique of the heat blued indices on their dials.
And as far as we know those watches cost considerably more than this watch model. We had a quite high failure rate with the indices at the beginning to match the hands and to have the same color on every index (and on every side of the index). As this model is limited to only 100 pieces it is also more expensive to produce the components in a smaller amount than for the normal production, especially the dials with the indexes and the blue line Superluminova which glows blue instead of green at night.

l1060139-2000x1333px-w.jpg

(Picture by watchonista.com)

·
Premium Member
23,500 Posts
<SNIP>
::
And of course we also want to try and explain why this limited edition is more costly than our "Ulm" for example from the standard collection.
The main aspect are the costs for research and development of this project. There had been only a handful of watch brands who had applied the technique of the heat blued indices on their dials.
... We had a quite high failure rate with the indices at the beginning to match the hands and to have the same color on every index (and on every side of the index). As this model is limited to only 100 pieces it is also more expensive to produce the components in a smaller amount than for the normal production, especially the dials with the indexes and the blue line Superluminova which glows blue instead of green at night.
Absolutely agree with this. This is like custom making every single piece. It is a bargain if compared to other brands that apply the same process and those that are worked on individually.

Thanks for the explanation Laco.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I think this is a striking LE. The dial, blue indices, and caseback make it extremely attractive. Nice work Toppers and Laco!

1 - 20 of 111 Posts