WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to WUS and pilot watches but could not hold back from posting this.

Based on previous posts on PilMil forum, I am taking the first albeit a small step by configuring say LACO "Pilot Original" project, which many WUS members and others may seriously consider owning.

Design Brief:

Existing parts:
  • 860884 case of 42 mm diameter. Edged the “FL23883” on the opposite side of the crown.
  • Sapphire Crystal currently available as option
  • Original pilot watch leather strap Ref. 792.31 (width 20 mm) for case diameter 42 mm. Existing parts so no new development/investment
  • Exposition back with mineral glass
  • Exiting crown
New parts:
  • Modified Unitas 6497 with centred-sweep second-hand. Blued-screws, Swan-neck regulator and Screw balance.
  • Type-B Dial-exact scale down from 55 mm Replika. So no logo and no date please.
  • Blued and lumed for Hour and Minute hands
Option:
  • Scale down onion crown as in 55mm Replika
One of us (not me for sure, I live in the other side of the world) living near or in Pforzheim could represent the rest of us by paying LACO a visit and persuade them to work on our latent demand.

Before this, can we have a show of hands to estimate the potential demand? LACO could then work on the commericial viability based on the design and chargeable price.

Once the watch design is confirmed and an indicative price range is available from LACO, we can make a decision and commit a deposit of say 50 Euro, if we are into it

Hope LACO listens to Customers

WUS member-have your say please:
  • thodgins
  • Erik H
  • Mescalito
  • kkwpk
  • tfbuyer
  • Frode
  • Mercutio
  • Others
I would be glad to play a part in making this watch a reality.

Regards
TA

·
Watchuseek Journalist
1,780 Posts
Re: LACO Pilot Watch-Have your say!!!!!!!!

Hi TA,

I had proposed this idea last year to Andreas at the Basel fair. He said it was possible as long as we have enough people from the forum for the custom watch.

I had posted here after the 2007 Basel fair but there was not much interest or not many people replied so nothing was done.

If you email Andreas, he will be happy to discuss this.

BTW, count me in :-!

Cheers,
Bhanu

·
Registered
237 Posts

great idea! i'd love to have this watch, but of course it's also a matter of the price. so if someone contacts LACO it would be good to ask for the estimated price. and maybe we could get a panting of the watch so that everyone can imagine what we're talking about.
if the handwound movement would be too pricey, what about an alternative with the standard eta-automatic-movement and a solid backcase (but of course i would prefer a handwound movement)? and the engraving of the limited numbers on the back or side of the case might be nice as well...

so let us keep going :)

G

·

great idea! i'd love to have this watch, but of course it's also a matter of the price. so if someone contacts LACO it would be good to ask for the estimated price. and maybe we could get a panting of the watch so that everyone can imagine what we're talking about.
if the handwound movement would be too pricey, what about an alternative with the standard eta-automatic-movement and a solid backcase (but of course i would prefer a handwound movement)? and the engraving of the limited numbers on the back or side of the case might be nice as well...

so let us keep going :)
Well, have a look at the Stowa FO as a price example. 1200 to 1400 Euro imho. The 55mm Laco was 2500 Euro if I remember right.

·
Registered
11,273 Posts

I think the bottleneck of the project will be the availability of the center-second modified handwound movements.

But there would be a place for a sterile "Baumuster B", no date, sapphire and the excellent Laco case, even with an automatic movement, IMHO.

After all, a 2824 automatic movement is merely a handwound movement with an additional device to keep the mainspring at the optimal tension level. ;-)

·
Registered
237 Posts

Well, have a look at the Stowa FO as a price example. 1200 to 1400 Euro imho. The 55mm Laco was 2500 Euro if I remember right.
then i would suggest to ask for an eta automatic-movement to keep the cost as low as possible. the only things that would have to be changed compared to serial watch is the dial (no logo, no date), the hands (blued and superlume) and the caseback (solid with engravings like b-watches and limited numbers). i think that these things could be realized without too much additional work and without too much additional cost.

G

·

then i would suggest to ask for an eta automatic-movement to keep the cost as low as possible. the only things that would have to be changed compared to serial watch is the dial (no logo, no date), the hands (blued and superlume) and the caseback (solid with engravings like b-watches and limited numbers). i think that these things could be realized without too much additional work and without too much additional cost.
Well, an automatic movement would be a deal breaker imho, I'd suggest to try to get a nicely decorated Unitas with center second hand (which is a must).

·
Registered
237 Posts

Well, an automatic movement would be a deal breaker imho, I'd suggest to try to get a nicely decorated Unitas with center second hand (which is a must).
of course i would prefer a handwound movement as well, but i'm not sure if i would spend lets say € 100 instead of € 400...
let's wait for LACO's answer...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Thanks all for the postings. I hope we continue to get more responses from WUS members.

Regards
TA

G

·

Well, 1200 to 1400 is a lot I know but with these modifications

Modified Unitas 6497 with centred-sweep second-hand. Blued-screws, Swan-neck regulator and Screw balance.
Type-B Dial-exact scale down from 55 mm Replika. So no logo and no date please.
Blued and lumed for Hour and Minute hands
the price difference is due to labour (modifying from sub-second to center second needs time and time is money, parts (swan neck fine adjustment, screw balance, Universo-hands, type B-dial in small quantity) and a very small volume production.

·
Registered
136 Posts

While I like the original suggestion, and am sure there is a market for a watch like this from Laco as one of the Original Five, afaik there is an item on the list of existing parts I would not use:

"Exposition back with mineral glass"

Aren't those available presently only with a small window, suitable for 11.5 lines movements? If Laco did build one with Unitas movement, People would want to see more of it, I think, and thus a new case back

·
Registered
1,178 Posts

I think the brand Laco itself is sexy enough to attract crowd, if they make decent re-issue of Type B watch. I want 42mm, no date, sterile dial, sapphire, Unitas with centre second, and massive caseback is good enough. If too complicated with Unitas, 2824-2 also acceptable, but date window has to be removed :-d. Count me in

·
Banned
21,244 Posts

Sorry to be Nerdy. Your ideas are excellent, but for one part. It is not correct to have the "Fl" numbers on the side or the "H" on the caseback. That would imply that it is build to the original specs, and tested as the Originals, nony of which is true. If these markings are omitted, count me in! And lets make sure they ship worldwide without exeption (had some problems there) What we want is basically a scaled down version of the reissue B-uhr. Personally, I do not care what the movement is, as long as it is a chrono and Swiss (or German) But it has to be visually an exact replica.

G

·

Sorry to be Nerdy. Your ideas are excellent, but for one part. It is not correct to have the "Fl" numbers on the side or the "H" on the caseback. That would imply that it is build to the original specs, and tested as the Originals, nony of which is true. If these markings are omitted, count me in! And lets make sure they ship worldwide without exeption (had some problems there) What we want is basically a scaled down version of the reissue B-uhr. Personally, I do not care what the movement is, as long as it is a chrono and Swiss (or German) But it has to be visually an exact replica.
Sorry to intervene but if it has to be "visually an exact replica" it can´t be a chrono. The original B-watch has been a three hands wrist watch.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts

Sorry, What I mean is that the movement must a Chronometer certified. Sorry about the confusion!

·
Registered
136 Posts

Sorry to be Nerdy. Your ideas are excellent, but for one part. It is not correct to have the "Fl" numbers on the side or the "H" on the caseback. That would imply that it is build to the original specs, and tested as the Originals, nony of which is true. ...
Ah, finally someone who understands ;-)

That is one reason why I will have my Stowa FO/LE without case engraving. :-!

·
Banned
21,244 Posts

I have, for the past hour or so, been browsing and checking out the different "retro" B-style watches. What I find strange is, that no manufacturer I can find has made a scaled down accurate copy/replica of a B-uhr. It is always something that is not right. Laco have a good line up, but not much likeness to the Original.I think if we all agree to a design, it will be a seller. And maybe the manufacturer can put " Watchuseek Limited Edition" on the caseback? No 1 should go to Mike, as he is our Anchor and Wise Moderator! One think I would find attractive, albeit too expensive(?) is to have the case made from brass with a Nickel finish, just as the original. Would look attractive when worn! And 3-5 Atm waterproofing would be enough. Size around 44 mm, should NOT be made to small. 42 mm is to small.

·
Registered
982 Posts

...What I find strange is, that no manufacturer I can find has made a scaled down accurate copy/replica of a B-uhr. It is always something that is not right.......
You are right. But let's not forget that the size is one of the more important elements of the original B-uhr, at least visually. So every scaled down version is, to put it in your words, 'not accurate'.
Only the 'real thing' is accurate. Everything else will always be 'lacking' in some department (actually in many cases it will be better!). If you ask me, it all comes down to personal preference. I really love my Steinhart because it's a beautifull, well made watch that is based on the design of the B-uhr, but doesn't pretend to be the real thing with it's heavily decorated movement and see-through back.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts

Ron, I see and understand your point. I have been looking/searching for some time for a nice "replica/homage" of my own B-uhr. I have been thinking about putting in a commision to Laco to make one. The change to their Series 0 type 860884 would be: Onion shaped crown, slight reshaping of the case and lugs and the dial slightly different- no date window. They should have no problems with the crown and dial, I can do the case shaping myself. My only problem is that I cannot visit the factory to discuss it this year. We'll see.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.