WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Have you sold your LACO online/offline/using this site? How fast moving items are these in your opinion and how well do they retain their value?

I checked some classifieds and saw adds that are 1-2 years old which may indicate that 2nd hand watches dont change the owner so fast. Second observation was that the watches lose around 40-50% of value on the 2nd hand market.

Im new to watches in general but really loving LACO and planning on buying a
LACO Leipzig Erbstuck.

Just curious on your pro opinions here.

cheers

·
Banned
7,741 Posts
Who would you buy a watch you already plan on selling? Don’t buy watches as investments, they almost all lose money.

·
Moderator at Large
53,097 Posts
Have you sold your LACO online/offline/using this site?
No. I am not a flipper. Usually I keep the watches I buy.

How fast moving items are these in your opinion and how well do they retain their value?
There aren‘t much watches retaining their value on the 2nd hand market. Some Patek, Vacheron, Rolex being the exception to the rule. Laco is not (except the original WWII B-Uhr in top oversll condition).

I checked some classifieds and saw adds that are 1-2 years old which may indicate that 2nd hand watches dont change the owner so fast. Second observation was that the watches lose around 40-50% of value on the 2nd hand market.
Correct. Any watch you buy today is a used one tomorrow.

I’m new to watches in general but really loving LACO and planning on buying a LACO Leipzig Erbstück
A Laco Leipzig Erbstück is difficult to sell. It‘s not everybody‘s cup of tea due to the artificial aging techniques, due to looks. thus, there are (almost automatically) fewer potential buyers in the market. A Flieger Original will sell faster and with less loss for sure.

B13162DA-3698-41B6-852E-945FF9AE4F99.jpeg

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
As noted, aside from a few luxury brands, you should expect to lose a considerable amount if you buy a new watch and later decide to sell.

Although people that bought Laco in the past, might not do bad. The retail prices have gone up a good amount, so there is more margin to absorb any loss. Not that long ago, Leipzigs and Paderborns cost about $750. Now they're almost $1200. My own Trier retails for $350 now. I paid $250 from an AD.

·
Registered
29,121 Posts
When I used to purchase my Laco's, they were meant to be kept and enjoyed.

However, the ones I did end up flipping were fairly easy to sell if described correctly for those not in the know and priced accordingly as well.

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
sorry for derailing from the main subject. but that Aged Dial is so GORGEOUS :p :-! b-)

A Laco Leipzig Erbstück is difficult to sell. It‘s not everybody‘s cup of tea due to the artificial aging techniques, due to looks. thus, there are (almost automatically) fewer potential buyers in the market. A Flieger Original will sell faster and with less loss for sure.

View attachment 13810141

·
Registered
296 Posts
I sold my Laco that costed me 1030€ for 450€. After paying Paypal fees and shipping, I was left with around 400€, which is roughly 40% of the price. The watch was in good condition and only 6 weeks old. Also, it was a difficult sale, I was selling it for nearly 2 months, even at that price.

I’m not sure what your conclusions are based on this and I’m not really trying to give you any. Just an objective statement on how my sale went.

Also, I’d like to add that pretty much all micro brands, and most of the big brands, take a significant hit in value on 2nd hand market.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I am seriously considering purchasing a Laco and am a bit surprised at the experiences mentioned here. While I know that most watches take a 25-30% at most, a 40-50% hit on a relatively new watch seems a bit too much. I was leaning towards getting one used anyway but still good to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I know that Erbstuck will loose about 40% of the value since there are few potential buyers since I have sold 2 (out of 3 that I purchased).
Also, If I am planning on spending ~ $1,000 on a watch, I will look at competing brands. in this space which are many.
I honestly think that Laco was TOO aggressive in the price increase implemented 2 years ago. I will be very reluctant to but a brand new Laco at the new (steep, IMO) prices.

Reactions: Tony A.H

·
Registered
178 Posts
I know that Erbstuck will loose about 40% of the value since there are few potential buyers since I have sold 2 (out of 3 that I purchased).
Also, If I am planning on spending ~ $1,000 on a watch, I will look at competing brands. in this space which are many.
I honestly think that Laco was TOO aggressive in the price increase implemented 2 years ago. I will be very reluctant to but a brand new Laco at the new (steep, IMO) prices.
Is this true of all Laco models, most, or just a few in your experience?

·
Registered
458 Posts
I think you shouldn't buy watches according to their resale value. Truth is, you loose money with almost all of them. Buy watches you want to have, wear them a lot and enjoy them. That can't be measured with money.

·
Registered
273 Posts
If you are at all concerned with resale value, buy used if you have the patience for the process. Of the 20 or so watches that have passed through my hands in the past five years, on the models I obtained secondhand I haven't taken more than a few percentage points loss on resale - note this is before factoring in a few more points lost on shipping and transaction fees. If you can trust yourself to stick to the rule of 'never new', upkeep on this hobby isn't all that expensive for my US middle-class lifestyle, besides the fact that you'll have a decent amount at any given time tied up in product.

Only two or three of those happened to dramatically go up in value before I resold them, and it was in no way predictable. Those few in my experience that went down in value in a noticeable way before I flipped them weren't bad - we're talking 15% or less differential from purchase price.

If you want value, new isn't the way to do it save for great care taken with the examples Mr. Stuffler mentioned above.

·
Registered
64 Posts
If the lost value is a concern, be patient for the right opportunity and buy used one. It's kind of buying the new car versus the used one, the moment you drive it off the parking lot you "loose" ~30%.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Good point—I think a used Laco is definitely in my near future. The question is, how near is “near”?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Good point—I think a used Laco is definitely in my near future. The question is, how near is “near”?

In order to quench my Laco thirst, I just purchased a used Aachen for $300 in near new, so near was now based on seeing a good deal. I have a short list of watches to search for on EhBay, in the FS forums, et al, with a firm idea of what a "good deal" is that I'm willing to go for, so I don't get too spontaneous.

I will look at an Erbstuck in the next year or two unless a great deal comes by.

·
Premium Member
5,699 Posts
I never buy expecting to sell....when I do flip, either out of lost love or funding the next grail, I tend to look at the lose as a rental fee I paid while enjoying the watch....

That said, I flipped 2 Lacos a while back, easy sales, losing about 10-15% over what I had originally paid....

Still have my bronze friedrichshafen, which I plan on keeping....

1 - 20 of 36 Posts