WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

I often browse a local Irish ebay style website called Adverts.ie. I've sold quite a bit of stuff on there, but only ever bought one watch. I decided that it would be no harm to throw up a wanted add asking for nice vintage watches. After serval people approached me with watches waaaay out of my price range, a guy asked me if I would have any interest in a Seiko, Rotary and "a ladies watch". He was looking for €70 for the lot. I asked him to send pics to my email, but I was suprised when he said that he would just send me the watches and I could either by them or send them back to him. They arrived to day.

I have no interest in the Seiko, it is a gold on gold dress watch from the 60/70's.

As soon as I saw the "ladies" watch I was interested though. It is an Eterna, but the small sub-second hand at 6 o'clock and the lumed Arabic numbers have led me to believe that it may be a man's military watch from the 30/40's. I'm not at all sure about this though. There are no millitary markings, that I am aware of, on it. It is also very small, being 33mm across, including the crown.

It is, however in fairly good condition. The dial is a little faded, but has a nice vintage look. The case is very good, with some de-chroming at the edges on the back. The crystal has some light marks, and two heavy ones that are right on the edge of the dome and can only be seen at an angle.

The movement, I know nothing about. It says Eterna and is marked 2858550. There are no other markings. At least one screw is newer than the rest. It has been running for nine hours now and is keeping time.

So, what do you think? Just a woman's watch, or a military watch?

Oh, while ye are hear, ye might as well take a look at the Rotary.

I've never owned a Rotary or a gold watch before. I kinda like this one though. The sliver/grey sunburst dial looks well against the gold. It could be used as a dress watch, even thought it has a date window. The dial is marked "17 Jewels" and "Anabolic" The dial and case are near flawless, the crystal is a little marked, but nothing major. Any idea on the model or year of this?

The movement also looks good and has kept time for the last nine hours.

I was thinking of offering him €40 for the two, but may go to 50.

Thoughts?

P.S., I know my camera sucks!

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Re: Ladies Eterna, or 1940's Military?

Hi there.

I have owned a fair few Eterna's from that period. I would not describe it as Military or Ladies.

Eterna are very good at providing information (date of manufacture, cal and original sale price) from the serial number. IIRC, similar size watches were described as unisex. I would say its a Mans watch

I will get my laptop on later if no-one has dated it more accurately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

·
Registered
3,447 Posts

·
Registered
3,447 Posts

And, just to back up my point about 'unisex', you can see the response I got from Eterna about this small watch:

https://www.watchuseek.com/f11/1938-eterna-600cal-another-odd-case-design-607660.html

Eterna said:

Your ETERNA (unisex) timepiece reference 106 DN is wearing a 10 ? movement caliber 600 and has been manufactured in 1938.

Its sales price at this time was approximately CHF. 30.00.

and mine was 28.5mm wide (excluding crown), so probably a similar size

·
Registered
13,447 Posts

This thread lost me.
What is the meaning between the OP first watch (the heading) and the second watch?

Based on TERRIBLE pic the Eterna is:
Mans watch (originally, now you may call it 'unisex, or bi-sex' but originally a mans watch)
NOT Military.

If I missed something please excuse and correct me

·
Registered
3,447 Posts

This thread lost me.

What is the meaning between the OP first watch (the heading) and the second watch?

Hi Adam,

I think its all there....

OP wanted to know if the Eterna was a Ladies or Military watch (hence the title)... and as we both have said, its neither.

and as the OP put it...

Hence the second (rotary)watch..... which has nothing to do with the title...

You want to just re-read it!?

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

This thread lost me.

Based on TERRIBLE pic the Eterna is:
Mans watch (originally, now you may call it 'unisex, or bi-sex' but originally a mans watch)
NOT Military.

The seller told me it was a ladies watch. I believed that it was a mans watch from the 1940's and due to the lume on the Arabic numbers, I thought it might be a military one. Its not.

The second watch also came form the same seller and I just wanted some general info on it. Date, ect. I was more interested in the Eterna.

You up to speed?

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Hi Adam,

I think its all there....

OP wanted to know if the Eterna was a Ladies or Military watch (hence the title)... and as we both have said, its neither.

and as the OP put it...

Hence the second (rotary)watch..... which has nothing to do with the title...

You want to just re-read it!?
As always you have been super helpful! Many thanks.

You think its worth buying so? It is very small.....

Do you happen to know anything about the Rotary?

·
Registered
13,447 Posts

·
Registered
13,447 Posts

The seller told me it was a ladies watch. I believed that it was a mans watch from the 1940's and due to the lume on the Arabic numbers, I thought it might be a military one. Its not.

The second watch also came form the same seller and I just wanted some general info on it. Date, ect. I was more interested in the Eterna.

You up to speed?
Yes Totally
I tried to accurately respond to the thread heading
I hope that helps
A

Reactions: NoLeftTurn

·
Registered
3,447 Posts

·
Registered
3,447 Posts

As always you have been super helpful! Many thanks.

You think its worth buying so? It is very small.....

Do you happen to know anything about the Rotary?
You're welcome NLT.

I like Eterna watches.... So I might buy it. But it's up to you. If the condition or size is putting you off... Don't buy it! If you are happy to wear watches this size (I am), in this condition... Get it! Your call.

Even though its running, do you know the service history? As that should be factored into the costs - a service!

Rotary.... I'm sure someone will ID the movement. I would only be guessing.

Marc

·
Registered
3,447 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Hmmm, had it open already and I had the dial not out, but had it loose in the case and I was looking at the screws. Did not see any of the lume fall out or anything.

You sure it is radium?

I worked with asbestos for a year. I bet that gets me first! :(

·
Registered
3,447 Posts

You sure it is radium?

:(
I would say so!

It's not so much the contact but dust particles. The lume looks pretty intact.... I.e not flakey! So unless you were trying to inhale particles, you should be ok!

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Wow, this is the hobby that keeps me learning and spending, and now potentially dying!

Best not open it again.

I feel like I have to buy it now! I mean I should own the watch that kills me, right?!

Thanks again for your help.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts