WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Triggered by a few of the recent posts/threads.

I know Citizen has a few; the E510's are listed in the Pair section. There's a ladies' size for most of the mens'. Other than that...in current or at least recent production, are there any others? I can't think of any. Heck, I think we could even include RF, and I don't think there are any. (I'm pretty sure there's no GPS. All the GPS pieces are over 40mm, I think.)

I'd even be curious to hear of any older ladies' HAQs anyone knows of.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Most woman I know wouldn't mind a Breitling Lady Colt, but would be okay rocking an apple watch. Breitling offers quite a few dial and strap options, so does apple for that matter.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
There used to be a ladies version of the old Longines VHP.

I'm not sure if they were ever specifically marketed at ladies, but I have a few vintage HAQs that are small enough and / or shiny enough to pass as ladies watches these days, including a rather blingy Dolce and a rather dainty Exceed 4 Mega.

Off the top of my head I can think of several HAQs where the movement has generous spacers and could actually fit into a much smaller case, if that's the direction a brand chose to go. These include TC movements such as Seiko's 8Jxx and Citizen's 0330, as well as a range of HF movements such as Pulsar's Y301 and Citizen's 1730. In fact I'm quite sure that Bulova could fit their Precisionist movement into a ladies watch, if they wanted to.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
There used to be a ladies version of the old Longines VHP.

I'm not sure if they were ever specifically marketed at ladies, but I have a few vintage HAQs that are small enough and / or shiny enough to pass as ladies watches these days, including a rather blingy Dolce and a rather dainty Exceed 4 Mega.
My wife has a ladies' Conquest VHP, thanks to a very kind member of this forum. It's definitely not aimed at normal sized men: 24.6 x 28.1 x 6.4, with the L208.2/ETA 256.563 movement. Very neat looking, but has the unpleasant Conquest bracelet with the friction fastened butterfly clasp. It's currently with Longines service; having run at +5 over a year, it suddenly went to -700. They claim that a normal full service will fix it.

Here's the inside

IMG_2504.jpg

(edit) and here's the picture from Longines service system

Image1.jpg

You can also see a matched pair of Citizens here: More about affordable High-End Quartz

·
Banned
3,654 Posts
I've got this two beauties: Citizen The Exceed (Cal.1971) bi-colour stainles-steel and Longines Conquest VHP (ETA 256.561 - dual-quartz) bi-colour titanium.
Both are rated within 10 seconds/year by the manufacturers. Actually the Citizen runs within 4 seconds/year and the Longines within 2 seconds/year (the latter was calibrated by me):

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Citizen has some ladies radio watches; not sure about gps

Ahhh...they do indeed. Missed these...probably because their RF was mostly Japan-only. Not the case now. There are some world-time models that receive multiple channels.

Tom: yeah, I don't think there's any lack of movements that would fit into a smaller case. Most extreme...ETA's F-series. F03 is 17.5mm, and there is a PreciDrive, F03.411. The Seiko Dolce's movement. No doubt there are others. All that's saying is, they could if they wanted...they just don't see a market.

·
Premium Member
9,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep, I know Citizen has several. Interestingly, none of them are Eco Drive...anything with the A0x0's inside is listed under men's watches.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Seiko Credor has lots of HAQ ladies watches.

Mind you, the Credor men's watches are mostly 36mm, which is pretty much a ladies watch these days.

·
Premium Member
9,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looks like there's dozens of ladies GS models. Most of them seem to use the 4J52 movement.

https://www.grand-seiko.jp/ladies/lineup/

Freaking Seiko.

Go to grand-seiko.com and there's nothing. ONLY 9-series movements listed.

There's even a post from Timeless, that 3 of these 4J-based models are gonna be available in the US, but the US GS website doesn't show them. SeikoUSA doesn't show any GS, but that's not surprising given the marketing shift.

I did expect there were some Credors, but the only Credor even many WUS would ever recognize is the Eichi II. This is flying under the radar in a stealth plane at night in a deep fog.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Seiko makes some fine products but their US marketing is the pits. How can you sell what no one knows exists?

They (and the Swiss) could take a few lessons in marketing from Citizen in this regard, their US marketing and service orgs are pretty good in comparison.

·
Premium Member
9,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yep. Note that not a single Citizen HAQ is on their US site, nor has anyone reported them available outside the NY boutique. Citizen is no paragon of media savviness. That said, Seiko is moronic, but we all know that.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Yep. Note that not a single Citizen HAQ is on their US site, nor has anyone reported them available outside the NY boutique. Citizen is no paragon of media savviness. That said, Seiko is moronic, but we all know that.
That's not what I was alluding to. Citizen lists all of their products on their web site for a particular region with an easy to search web site and has videos with complete owner's manuals on each product page, plus decent after-sales repair support. Then there's Swatch Group, who won't even put an owner's manual in the box OR their web site for a fancy new HAQ that doesn't operate like anything else on the market.

That's what I was trying to get at, not specifically what they do/don't sell in a specific region.

·
Registered
105 Posts
If you're going JDM, Credor has some really nice ladies watches, but with higher costs (I believe) due to precious
metals/jewels as opposed to quartz movement accuracy. Always liked the AP Promesse as well but ditto on the cost.

·
Premium Member
9,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
tmathes...ok, fair enough. But it's probably overgeneralizing to say the whole Swiss industry. Check out Omega's site, for example.

The only reason I'm less than enthusiastic about including the JDM is, no casual buyer ever hears about them. Further, I daresay even the general WIS probably doesn't hear about these, even if he knows HAQs exist. Some of the motivation behind the topic is the perception/penetration potential, and therefore what that might be saying about HAQs overall. (I get that it's a reach, but that doesn't bother me. :) ) JDM means essentially invisible.

Reactions: jthole

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
tmathes...ok, fair enough. But it's probably overgeneralizing to say the whole Swiss industry. Check out Omega's site, for example.

The only reason I'm less than enthusiastic about including the JDM is, no casual buyer ever hears about them. Further, I daresay even the general WIS probably doesn't hear about these, even if he knows HAQs exist. Some of the motivation behind the topic is the perception/penetration potential, and therefore what that might be saying about HAQs overall. (I get that it's a reach, but that doesn't bother me. :) ) JDM means essentially invisible.
If you ever had to deal with Omega/Longines/Certina (or Swatch Group in general), then Seiko and finally Citizen you'd change your mind. :-d

I agree about the JDM observation. I never understood why any company with something that's basically non-regulated for sale like a watch would just not bother to market that item in other countries if they already had a sales/marketing network in place. It's in particular baffling when it's a LARGE number of the product portfolio for what is a very limited domestic market.

By "regulated" I'm referring to highly regulated items like autos (large number of regs involved to get certified in each market). That's baffling, you're limiting your sales massively if you just sell a watch in Japan only compared to, say, also in North America and the EU. Does anyone here understand why Seiko and Citizen do this in particular? The Swiss don't seem quite as bad but there's still quite a bit of that done there too (Certina is a good example, basically not sold in North America except via the gray market).

1 - 20 of 29 Posts