WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any plans in the future to do a ladies watch? I would really like to get one for the little woman.

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
That is a possibility, but first we have to successfully make ONE ceramic watch! We've been trying for a year, but I think we are on track now.

The other problem is that I find it difficult to design watches for entities that I do not understand.

Mitch

·
Premium Member
2,561 Posts
Great idea, but how can we know what they want, if they don't know what they want? Anyway, I'll be in trouble soon, or maybe it's already too late!
I don't know how many women are lurkers on these forums much less active participants. However, all the members here who have significant others can solicit some input into what would be desirable in a ladies' time piece. I think this can be done but, I'm not sure that the economics of the project make it viable. How many of the member's girlfriends/wives/significant others are interested in watches much less ones without diamonds, gold, etc, etc...

Maybe if the dress watch concept takes off you can then just "shrink" it to be more in line with a size for a woman's wrist.

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
I think a smaller OCEAN7 style case that can be worn by men and women is probably a better solution for this company. I can't see making an OCEAN7 fashion watch.

Mitch

·
Registered
735 Posts
The other problem is that I find it difficult to design watches for entities that I do not understand.

Mitch
Then this will never happen because no one understands women, not even other women. :-d

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
What women want? Well in my very limited experience, across the board,the women I know want much the same as the guys just smaller. It reminds me of the early days in the '70's when running was all the rage. The only shoe company that made women's shoes on a woman's last, was New Balance. Now they all do. Then when moutain bikes became the rage, women's models were less ell made and had s..t for derailleurs. Not there are equal quality for men and women. When I shopped watches for my first wife, she want some style but not gold and jewels. She wanted auto ort quartz but with day/date, large enoiugh to read, and WR! There weren't many then and not many now. At least not in the reasoanble price range. When I went on line for my current partner, it was a ***** to find equal quality, features in the same price range. LOTS OF FOO FOO watches.

Whoever said 36-38mm was close. I might say 35-36mm but with all the quality and looks say, of my LM2. Maybe the multiple strap idea. But give them quality. I think there is a market for the ladies for the majority of a work week day and week end in classy and simple and well made. Then if she wants to put on the dog(or cat or donkey or whatever) whe can have one of the bling ladies watches with diamonds all over it.

Just my opinion and that of the women I have known. Any ladies out there please speak up, now is the time.

paul:-s

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Smaller diver versions: good.:-! Not too small, though, keep it big for the ladies.
Also, black: good.:) Cool look on the ladies and there are probably not that many black ladies watches out there.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Malyel : now THAT is a ladies watch!

paul:-d:-d:-d:-d:-d

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
God it must be hard to design a ladies watch! Who knows what will sell. Lots of women want something "blingy" others want "plain Jane". Some of the stuff I see in the watch magazines and high end women's mags, looks ridiculous, but then, I'm not wearing the watch.

Probably what isn't too popular with men would be the most popular with women. Case in point, Doxa showed a prototype of the new Coralline at Basel 2007. Almost to a man the folks on the forum were adament in their dislike for the watch. The Doxa folks said that they could have sold tons of them just at Basel. Well received by women.Obviously, the male members of the forum were expecting a re-introduction of the original sub200T Coralline which was a scaled down version of the sub300T. the new one is 42mm, had a MOP dial, and Diamond bezel!! I was disappointed that it wasn't a re-issue, but my wife thought it was just great(except for the size). She has an original Coralline, and she would have traded in a second for the new one.
So all I can say Mitch, if you want to introduce a woman's watch, best to get some women involved in the design.

Here are two photos to illustrate my point. The Coralline on the left is my wife's purchased from Dr. Peter Millar. It is in his book and I "borrowed: the photo. the one on the right is from a Doxa SA photo. Watch was introduced at Basel 2007, but as far as I know it wasn't produced. At least not much has been said about it since last April. Personally if it were not 42mm, My wife would love it, especially in the White MOP version, but she doesn't like big watches, and she is 5' 10" So she could pull it off if she wanted to.

Just my dos centavos
Arthur

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
A small American case in steel with a plain or diamond bezel, several dial color options including MOP,and maybe quartz, might work.

Then again, it might not!

Maybe a polished case would work better for a ladies watch.

Mitch

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
A small American case in steel with a plain or diamond bezel, several dial color options including MOP,and maybe quartz, might work.

Then again, it might not!

Maybe a polished case would work better for a ladies watch.

Mitch
Mitch,
the big problem with the Doxa, excepting that all the guys were all disappointed that it wasn't and exact copy of the original sub200T, was the size. although some younger ladies are opting for a large "man size" watch, the majority of women still want something south of 35mm.

I believe that a polished case, MOP dial in various colors as well as a Diamond bezel option would be a seller. Personally . my wife prefers quartz, because you never have to reset the time and date, except for going on or off Daylight Savings Time.I don't believe that the average woman gives a rats a** about a 2824, 2892 etc, just wants something that keeps good time and is easy to operate.
Arthur

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
I agree that quartz would be the way to go for a ladies watch.

I was thinking about making a smaller, thinner mens watch using a 2824, that would double as a ladies watch, maybe with a different dial, but I don't think that idea would work very well.

Mitch

1 - 18 of 18 Posts